When Ramadan ends and charity begins

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
For Muslims, Ramadan is a month of reflection. We are encouraged to enrich our knowledge of the faith in this Holy Month. In observing my 6th Ramadan as a balik-Islam, allow me to share my reflections on the faith and current issues that confront our world.

Ramadan is the 9th month of the Islamic Calendar when the Qur’an was believed to be revealed. In this month, fasting was commanded among believers for them to feel the material condition of poverty. The end of Ramadan is marked by the day of breaking of fast known in Arabic as Eid’l Fitr. Fasting is instrumental in encouraging the believers to perform the next pillar of Islam – Zakat or charity. (READ: Feast of Ramadan ends but not lessons of fasting)

These pillars of Islam highlight the central goal of the Qur’an to establish an ethical, egalitarian social order. Therefore, when the objective of the Qur’an has already been realized, Ramadan and Zakat should cease to exist. To accomplish the message that "wealth should not circulate only among the rich" (Surah Al Hashr 59:7), Zakat as a form of tax was then levied. It was imposed to fund the activities of a state. The main purpose of Zakat is to ensure equal distribution of wealth – the materialization of the Qur’an’s economic policy. Yet today, it seems that this higher purpose was forgotten as Zakat came to be narrowly understood as a parochial tradition of alms-giving.

Economic equality in the age of austerity
When Ramadan ends and charity begins

It's an interesting piece written by a Catholic turned Muslim Youth Leader and Peace activist

Forum List

Back