Where does it say in the Bible that the human soul is formed at the time of conception?

A) The Bible doesn't say anything about it the personhood of embryos.

B) It wasn't a stated Christian belief that personhood started at conception until the late 20th Century.

The Bible is full of passages that calls the unborn child an infant.

What? Did they get the ultrasound wand out? NO. They could feel the late-term fetus kicking, and when twins were born, they described this as boys struggling with one another in the womb. Obviously Bronze-Age people had no idea what an embryo was, so it never made it into their mythology.

Palms was written between 1440 BC to 586 BC
Psalm 139:13-16New International Version (NIV)
13 For you created my inmost being you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;your works are wonderful,I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

They knew

They did not know what a blastocyst was. It is unlikely that they knew much about any development up until it started moving under the mother's skin. They were primitive peoples, who did not apply the scientific method.

I'm sorry it bothers you that Christians dont think you should kill your children. And I'm sorry it doesn't bother you to kill your children.

as for your question, the bible is very clear that the spirit of man is created before conception. The Lord told Jeremiah that He knew him before he was conceived.

on the day of judgment the Lord will hold us accountable for how we treat the most innocent among us. The unborn child doesn't get more innocent. How do you want to be able to answer Him?

You're free to believe whatever you want but its the bible which means it has no relationship to facts. Including the ludicrous accusation that anyone is killing "children".

Your beliefs don't negate a woman's sovereign right to control of her own body. If it was YOUR body the law wanted to control, if it was YOU who was being forced to reproduce, you would sing a different tune.

MYOB

if you don't want to hear what the bible teaches on a subject then dont ask what it teaches.

abortion kills children. That's pure fact, regardless of what the bibl says. And defending the innocent of the world is my business. So I am minding it.
Lots of shit kills children after they are born but none if it warrants the attention of the right.

the fact that you have to shift to propaganda and red herrings doesn't help your argument.

even if it was true, even if everyone else does it, it doesn't justify you doing it.
I do not concern myself with these side arguments on the abortion issue. The question has always been one of individual freedom and the greater good. We pollute the air for energy, we slaughter animals for food, we kill others for safety, we fight wars for peace. Nothing comes without a downside, especially continuing the human civilization on earth. Solve the problems of poverty and drug abuse, make contraception universal and free and you will get what you want without having to treat women like slaves to their wombs.

wise answer

I've been looking at fake pictures of the fetus on religious extremist sites and was wondering where I might find the above question in scripture?

And when does a pancake become a pancake? An egg and flour have the potential to become a pancake, but it's not really a pancake. When you add all the ingredients of flour, milk, and eggs, it's still not a pancake....it's only batter. It becomes a pancake when the cook decides it's cooked and ready.

To say a fetus is human, is the same as calling the batter a pancake.

Sperm has the potential of creating a human life. A hair has the potential of creating a human life, given potential cloning techniques.

(I'm just pointing out the silliness of this argument)

A potential baby becomes a baby when and if the mother decides it so....when the fetus can live on it's own, right around the neighborhood of 7 months of gestation.
You failed by comparing humans to pancakes... Good Grief man, get a grip how bout it, I mean how silly is your post or OP ? I'd say it's a ten on the silly scale that consist of the numbers one through ten.

Okay, then lets compare it to sperm, or a little guppie-shaped bit of red jelly. (my analogy is appropriate)

In the early months of gestation, the body is building a framework of blood vessels and cartilage and nerves and muscle, but none of it is connected to work as it does in a human being. An early fetus cannot think or feel pleasure or pain. Its muscles jerk periodically as part of its development, however, it isn't a person.
Have you ever seen or experienced an actual soul in your presence ? Where does that soul reveal itself to you or where exactly does it reside ? Can you touch a soul or see it ? Why would you see yourself as a so called scholar or scientist on such a thing, when we all know your not ?

I've been looking at fake pictures of the fetus on religious extremist sites and was wondering where I might find the above question in scripture?

And when does a pancake become a pancake? An egg and flour have the potential to become a pancake, but it's not really a pancake. When you add all the ingredients of flour, milk, and eggs, it's still not a pancake....it's only batter. It becomes a pancake when the cook decides it's cooked and ready.

Sperm has the potential of creating a human life. A hair has the potential of creating a human life, given potential cloning techniques.

A potential baby becomes a baby when and if the mother decides it so....when the fetus can live on it's own, right around the neighborhood of 7 months of gestation.
You failed by comparing humans to pancakes... Good Grief man, get a grip how bout it, I mean how silly is your post or OP ? I'd say it's a ten on the silly scale that consist of the numbers one through ten.

Okay, then lets compare it to sperm, or a little guppie-shaped bit of red jelly. (my analogy is appropriate)

In the early months of gestation, the body is building a framework of blood vessels and cartilage and nerves and muscle, but none of it is connected to work as it does in a human being. An early fetus cannot think or feel pleasure or pain. Its muscles jerk periodically as part of its development, however, it isn't a person.
Have you ever seen or experienced an actual soul in your presence ? Where does that soul reveal itself to you or where exactly does it reside ? Can you touch a soul or see it ? Why would you see yourself as a so called scholar or scientist on such a thing, when we all know your not ?

So you have a problem with the new 3D ultrasound images pioneered by Professor Stuart Campbell at London's Create Health Clinic?
3D ultrasound has showed movement of the infant much more clearly.
It is these new 3d images that is changing the minds of our young people in colleges all across the land and they are becoming more pro life.
3D Ultrasound Photo Gallery

Cool. And, remember Nilsson's photos and the book, A Child Is Born?

But this is not germane to the conversation.

There is nothing that negates a woman's ownership of her own body. Period.

Except that there is an innocent little life inside her that can't speak for itself.

FETUS: Mom, are you there?
MOM: Yes, 12 week old fetus, what is it?
FETUS: I just wanted to tell you that if you feel any kicks or rumblings or feel tiny footsteps inside you or anything like that, don't panic. It's just me taking a little walk.
MOM: All right dear, but don't touch my liver, and be back in your placenta by dinner time.
FETUS: Thanks mom!

Those pictures purported to be 12 week old fetuses are nothing of the kind, they are older fetuses passed off as 12 weeks old.
A 12 week fetus is indistinguishable from any other placental animal at the same stage of development, at that stage there is little difference between a human, a dog, a mouse, or an elephant.

Are abortions performed on dogs, mice or elephants?
No that's all higher up the food chain according to the left..

i only know of 2 types of soul a assoul and the soul of my shoe

I'm not sure why you're asking an atheist about souls, however, I do rely on doctors concerning this issue.

From one of the articles I've posted....

Researchers from the University of California, San Francisco in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded in a meta-analysis of data from dozens of medical reports and studies that fetuses are unlikely to feel pain until the third trimester of pregnancy.

i only know of 2 types of soul a assoul and the soul of my shoe

Lame, not very funny at all.

Two very different things.
Sole - bottom of shoe
Soul- the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal

Asshole has nothing to do with either one.
See? I can be lame too. :)

B) It wasn't a stated Christian belief that personhood started at conception until the late 20th Century.

What? Did they get the ultrasound wand out? NO. They could feel the late-term fetus kicking, and when twins were born, they described this as boys struggling with one another in the womb. Obviously Bronze-Age people had no idea what an embryo was, so it never made it into their mythology.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;your works are wonderful,I know that full well.
all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

They knew

They did not know what a blastocyst was. It is unlikely that they knew much about any development up until it started moving under the mother's skin. They were primitive peoples, who did not apply the scientific method.

Proof that it is Gods words and not ancient Man.

They knew

Proof that delusion is unresponsive to facts.

They knew

You have proof of no such thing.

I'm not sure why you're asking an atheist about souls, however, I do rely on doctors concerning this issue.

From one of the articles I've posted....

Researchers from the University of California, San Francisco in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded in a meta-analysis of data from dozens of medical reports and studies that fetuses are unlikely to feel pain until the third trimester of pregnancy.

Research study on the existent of a soul.
Is there any scientific proof for the soul s existence The Spiritual Scientist
Dr. Penfield had started his brain research with the explicit intention of disproving the existence of the soul, but after conducting experiments like the above one for forty years, he came to an unambiguous conclusion: “The brain is a computer, but it is programmed by something outside of itself.”

I bet that you believe the research that you put up, but you will dismiss the research that I put up.

They knew

Proof that delusion is unresponsive to facts.

Fine it's your right to ignore Palms

They knew

So Psalms & Jeremiah does not exist?

Having a soul isn't the issue.
Being able to react to pain is the primary identifier that a fetus, or any animal for that matter, is a living being.

Some folks seem to have more concern for animals than humans because they consider humans to be a disease infecting the Earth. You need to realize that we are all here for a purpose.

A 12 week old fetus doesn't feel any pain.
Maybe you can provide proof of this.
Any creature feels pain......they just don't understand it the same way.

Do you know how to use the Google?

Study Fetus feels no pain until third trimester - Health - Women s health NBC News

Fetuses Feel Pain at 20 Weeks and 4 Other Anti-Abortion Myths Mother Jones
Mother Jones and NBC???????
You can't be serious????
Give me a friggen break!!!

They knew

They no longer apply.

Religion no longer rules Medicine and the Law.

The 20th Century almost completely removed religion from secular society.

Modern laws no longer enforce church laws.

Regards from Rosie

They knew

They no longer apply.

Religion no longer rules Medicine and the Law.

The 20th Century almost completely removed religion from secular society.

Modern laws no longer enforce church laws.

Regards from Rosie

75% of this Nation says you're wrong.

Having a soul isn't the issue.
Being able to react to pain is the primary identifier that a fetus, or any animal for that matter, is a living being.

Some folks seem to have more concern for animals than humans because they consider humans to be a disease infecting the Earth. You need to realize that we are all here for a purpose.

A 12 week old fetus doesn't feel any pain.
Maybe you can provide proof of this.
Any creature feels pain......they just don't understand it the same way.

Do you know how to use the Google?

Study Fetus feels no pain until third trimester - Health - Women s health NBC News

Fetuses Feel Pain at 20 Weeks and 4 Other Anti-Abortion Myths Mother Jones
Mother Jones and NBC???????
You can't be serious????
Give me a friggen break!!!

Researchers at the University of California, San Francisco reviewed dozens of studies and medical reports and said the data indicate that fetuses likely are incapable of feeling pain until around the seventh month of pregnancy, when they are about 28 weeks old.

Based on the evidence, discussions of fetal pain for abortions performed before the end of the second trimester should not be mandatory, according to the study appearing in Wednesday’s Journal of the American Medical Association.

Forum List

Back