Where theres smoke: Baltimore Police pays $95k in Rough Ride Lawsuit

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Baltimore approves $95,000 settlement in 'rough ride' lawsuit

Baltimore's spending panel voted unanimously Wednesday to pay a woman $95,000 to settle a lawsuit that included allegations she was subjected to a "rough ride" in a police van in 2012.

The Board of Estimates voted 5-0 to settle a federal lawsuit involving a woman who said she was thrown in the back of a police van, not buckled in a seat belt, and "maniacally" driven around after her arrest at a party in Hampden. Christine Abbott, 28, said she was slammed against the van's wall during the ride, which left her feeling like "a piece of cargo."

City Solicitor George Nilson, a member of the board, said the alleged "rough ride" was not a "central issue" in the city's decision to settle. "There were no injuries resulting from the woman's transport in the van," he said. He added that the van driver denied operating the vehicle in an erratic manner.

More concerning to city officials, Nilson said, was that during Abbott's altercation with police, one of her breasts was left exposed.

"A 90-pound woman would not appear to present a safety challenge," Nilson said. He added that the city had "lawyers fees running" in federal court, and it made financial sense to end the litigation.

Just like they did Freddie Gray....

Since 2011, the city has paid nearly $13 million in settlements and court judgments for lawsuits alleging brutality and other police misconduct. In such settlements, the city and its officers do not acknowledge wrongdoing.

Since the issue was her tit being exposed, and she only weighed 90 pounds, maybe they should have paid by the ounce...

Just saying...

Oh yep. This absolutely proves without doubt that Baltimore does daily rough rides. No government or corporation has EVER EVER EVER settled frivolous lawsuits to make them go away....or because lawyer fees would exceed the settled payout.

Oh yep. This absolutely proves without doubt that Baltimore does daily rough rides.

First you claimed they dont exist.

Who else but your strawman said this happens daily? First you said it didnt at all.

Oops

Oh yep. This absolutely proves without doubt that Baltimore does daily rough rides. No government or corporation has EVER EVER EVER settled frivolous lawsuits to make them go away....or because lawyer fees would exceed the settled payout.

I wonder what it will cost for NYC to pay to make Sharpton's daughter's $5 million dollar twisted ankle lawsuit go away?

It only proves the cops lie alot. Your strawman has been torched.

Baltimore approves $95,000 settlement in 'rough ride' lawsuit

Baltimore's spending panel voted unanimously Wednesday to pay a woman $95,000 to settle a lawsuit that included allegations she was subjected to a "rough ride" in a police van in 2012.

The Board of Estimates voted 5-0 to settle a federal lawsuit involving a woman who said she was thrown in the back of a police van, not buckled in a seat belt, and "maniacally" driven around after her arrest at a party in Hampden. Christine Abbott, 28, said she was slammed against the van's wall during the ride, which left her feeling like "a piece of cargo."

City Solicitor George Nilson, a member of the board, said the alleged "rough ride" was not a "central issue" in the city's decision to settle. "There were no injuries resulting from the woman's transport in the van," he said. He added that the van driver denied operating the vehicle in an erratic manner.

More concerning to city officials, Nilson said, was that during Abbott's altercation with police, one of her breasts was left exposed.

"A 90-pound woman would not appear to present a safety challenge," Nilson said. He added that the city had "lawyers fees running" in federal court, and it made financial sense to end the litigation.

Just like they did Freddie Gray....

Since 2011, the city has paid nearly $13 million in settlements and court judgments for lawsuits alleging brutality and other police misconduct. In such settlements, the city and its officers do not acknowledge wrongdoing.
:mm::woohoo:

As a Marylander, I have to pay that tab.

Me too, but dont worry, its better than asking the police to not over react. :rolleyes:
Maybe next time I'll start shit with the cops so I can get my money's worth.:wink_2:

You know what they say? You can't take it with you when you're dead
I'll know when to stop.

Yeah but you dont seem to get it. THEY DONT

As a Marylander, I have to pay that tab.

Me too, but dont worry, its better than asking the police to not over react. :rolleyes:
Maybe next time I'll start shit with the cops so I can get my money's worth.:wink_2:

You know what they say? You can't take it with you when you're dead
I'll know when to stop.

Yeah but you dont seem to get it. THEY DONT
If you comply they do.

Forum List

Back