Where to find legal help other than the BAR association?

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
Where can I find free or low coast legal help , other than the NYC BAR association or legal aid society in NYC?? Your suggestions.

What did you do? You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in court. You have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before we ask you any questions. You have the right to have a lawyer with you during questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish.

Don't use a public defender unless you can afford to do the time. At least that is the best advice in this area, as I have seen them, while sitting on a jury.

Where can I find free or low coast legal help , other than the NYC BAR association or legal aid society in NYC?? Your suggestions.
You can research it yourself yet pro-bono services are provided by the state or county depending on the situation.

What did you do? You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in court. You have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before we ask you any questions. You have the right to have a lawyer with you during questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish.

Don't use a public defender unless you can afford to do the time. At least that is the best advice in this area, as I have seen them, while sitting on a jury.
If you get stuck with a PD just plead guilty it's the same thing.

If you get stuck with a PD just plead guilty it's the same thing.
Or prey for a jury that can look past and analyze the prosecution's case (as some of them aren't too swift either) to determine guilt beyond shadow of doubt.
You can't trust your life and freedom to that plan, though and better have friends to buy you soap on a rope.

You could try contacting your local law library and talk to one of the librarians about your situation (without giving too many details unless it's necessary). Some of them have law clinics where they provide pro bono work.

The best way generally that I've found is to ask someone who you trust for a referral.

Oh, and if you're the guilty party there are generally defense attorneys everywhere that will take your case without payment up front however if you are the plaintiff or the person who wants to bring an action to protect or enforcement your rights, then if you Google, make sure you're looking for a 'plaintiff attorney', preferably one who specializes in litigation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back