Which NFL players are your all-time favorites?

Payton. Have his jersey and his memorabilia and, his and Cal Ripken Jrs. are the only people I've ever spent my money on.

Payton was the shit. Great in all facets, team player, sportsman and loved playing the game. Who can forget the smile on the guy's face as he shredded defenses, or got creamed, then popped up to give his tackler a hand up, or how he stretched the ball forward every single time to try to grind out another inch or two, or the goosestep into the endzone.

His workouts, preparation and performance, and, most importantly IMO, sportmanship are legendary. He played to win and did it with class.

We may never see another that comes close to hitting all the notes the way he did.

Randa
Easy question.
There are great players... outstanding players... and then there are those who literally change how the game is played

Oh and dig the 91-yard punt at 5:17

Randall was worth the price of a ticket by himself. He is in a category of the most exciting players. The crowd would gasp at some of his plays.

I put Cunningham in the same category as Mike Vick. Super ,running, passing QBs who were the best at their position at their peaks.

I can't say for sure with Cunningham, because it's been so long, but I certainly don't think Vick was ever the best at his position. Near the top at his best, but I don't think there was a year when Vick was the best QB in the league.

His year with the eagles he was in the running for MVP. Now there was a time before the dogs where he was rising to the top. And we probably should not forget Steve Young. He could do all that too.

Vick's best Eagles year he only played 12 games, and that year Brady threw 36 TDs to only 4 INTs. Vick was damn good that year, but not the best. While he was with the Falcons, Vick never reached 57% completions, never had a QBR higher than 81.6, only had one season where his interceptions didn't nearly match his TDs...it was only after he came back after prison that Vick started playing like a well-rounded QB rather than a runner with an arm.

Steve Young was far better than Vick IMO. Young is one of the all-time greats.

Randa
Easy question.
There are great players... outstanding players... and then there are those who literally change how the game is played

Randall was worth the price of a ticket by himself. He is in a category of the most exciting players. The crowd would gasp at some of his plays.

I put Cunningham in the same category as Mike Vick. Super ,running, passing QBs who were the best at their position at their peaks.

I can't say for sure with Cunningham, because it's been so long, but I certainly don't think Vick was ever the best at his position. Near the top at his best, but I don't think there was a year when Vick was the best QB in the league.

As far as a "QB rating", I think there were at least parts of seasons when at least Vick was at or near the top, but I know for sure that Randall was regularly the only QB whose name showed up in the top rushers. Cunningham broke the QB rushing record held by Fran Tarkenton, and was only I think 27 years old when he broke it.

Randa
Easy question.

His year with the eagles he was in the running for MVP. Now there was a time before the dogs where he was rising to the top. And we probably should not forget Steve Young. He could do all that too.

Vick's best Eagles year he only played 12 games, and that year Brady threw 36 TDs to only 4 INTs. Vick was damn good that year, but not the best. While he was with the Falcons, Vick never reached 57% completions, never had a QBR higher than 81.6, only had one season where his interceptions didn't nearly match his TDs...it was only after he came back after prison that Vick started playing like a well-rounded QB rather than a runner with an arm.

Vick was never the best passer, and wasn't that tall, would get a lot of passes batted down. But the thing is, if he got room to run he was GONE. I like a game where you can expect the unexpected.

Randa
Easy question.

Brady played in the AFL though. That devalues all stats by, I think it's 22.7%.

Randa
Easy question.

Vick did something else. For all the off field crap, he worked hard to repair the damage and was successful. He attained forgiveness from many and became a more humbled man from it. The Michael Vick of the Eagles is far different then when he was drafted by the Falcons. And he was an exciting player to watch. Worth the price of a ticket. Like Randall!

My favorites have already been listed, but I'll put up a few more that were/are great to watch.

Christian Okoye. The 'Nigerian Nightmare' running over defenders was awesome to watch.
Steve Atwater. Hell of a hitter, and pretty much destroyed Okoye.
My current favorite is George Kittle. There's a man that really seems to have fun playing, and playing with a rough, old-school mindset. His run after the catch against the Saints was my top play of the year. I also loved seeing the big smile on his face after he pancaked a guy on a block in the endzone.

Remember that hit Atwater put on Okoye?

Randa
Easy question.

Vick did something else. For all the off field crap, he worked hard to repair the damage and was successful. He attained forgiveness from many and became a more humbled man from it. The Michael Vick of the Eagles is far different then when he was drafted by the Falcons. And he was an exciting player to watch. Worth the price of a ticket. Like Randall!

Vick could be very exciting for sure. That isn’t the same as the best, though. He was a better QB for Falcons fans than the Falcons team. :p

Randa
Easy question.

Vick could be very exciting for sure. That isn’t the same as the best, though. He was a better QB for Falcons fans than the Falcons team. :p

That's a good way to put it.

The thing about the Vicks and Cunninghams is that they're really not playing the same game as a QB who stands in the pocket, grows roots like a tree and gets his knees broken. So it's not quite an even comparison.

Randa
Easy question.

I agree, but the thread asked about personal all time favorites. Vick was one of my favorite QBs to watch because of his athleticism and he had a great arm.

Randa
Easy question.

I agree, but the thread asked about personal all time favorites. Vick was one of my favorite QBs to watch because of his athleticism and he had a great arm.

Vick was one of my favorites before the dog thing. I’m a big dog lover so I never rooted for him after that. I will say he did seem remorseful afterwards and has paid his debt to society, so I don’t have a problem with him commentating

Randa
Easy question.

I was never a fan because his passing was too often sub-par, but I cannot deny he was an electric presence on the field. Considering his improved play after his prison time, I wonder how good he could have been with a better mindset. It seemed as though being so humbled as he was helped his play.

Randa
Easy question.

Like I said, before the dogs vick was on the rise. He got the Falcons to the NFC championship game. With the eagles he took them to the playoffs where they lost a close game to I think the eventual champs, but I am not sure. Yes Young is one of the greats but I think Vick would have done the same with the talent Young had around him on the 49ers, but my point was that Young was a dual threat before Vick and nobody talks about that.

Randa
Easy question.

I was never a fan because his passing was too often sub-par, but I cannot deny he was an electric presence on the field. Considering his improved play after his prison time, I wonder how good he could have been with a better mindset. It seemed as though being so humbled as he was helped his play.

I don't think you know Vicks mindset and the objective of the game is to win. Completion percentage is important but you can be Dan Marino and pass for a million yards, have a 75 percent completion percentage and without a defense you can't win. Vick often ran early on because he had no line. You talk about Brady, but he had time to throw and any time he didn't he sucked. Matt Cassell made the pro bowl in that system and I watched him play for the chiefs and he stunk. Brady has great numbers, but i'll take Drew Brees.

Randa
Easy question.

Like I said, before the dogs vick was on the rise. He got the Falcons to the NFC championship game. With the eagles he took them to the playoffs where they lost a close game to I think the eventual champs, but I am not sure. Yes Young is one of the greats but I think Vick would have done the same with the talent Young had around him on the 49ers, but my point was that Young was a dual threat before Vick and nobody talks about that.

Young didn't run nearly as much as Vick. Young had 143 starts to Vick's 115, but only 722 rush attempts to Vick's 873. Cunningham and Young are much closer in rush attempts. Young never had more than 537 yards rushing in a season (and other than that year, never hit 500 yards) while Cunningham had a year with 942 and 2 others over 600. Basically, I think that both Vick and, to a lesser degree, Cunningham were more likely to take off running than Young. They were both better runners, as well.

Payton. Have his jersey and his memorabilia and, his and Cal Ripken Jrs. are the only people I've ever spent my money on.

Payton was the shit. Great in all facets, team player, sportsman and loved playing the game. Who can forget the smile on the guy's face as he shredded defenses, or got creamed, then popped up to give his tackler a hand up, or how he stretched the ball forward every single time to try to grind out another inch or two, or the goosestep into the endzone.

His workouts, preparation and performance, and, most importantly IMO, sportmanship are legendary. He played to win and did it with class.

We may never see another that comes close to hitting all the notes the way he did.
Walter Payton was great but I think Barry Sanders was better. They all work out and Sanders had great sportsmanship although I don't grade sportsmanship high when you play a violent sport. You expect some nastiness to come in such a physical game.

Randa
Easy question.

Young didn't run nearly as much as Vick. Young had 143 starts to Vick's 115, but only 722 rush attempts to Vick's 873. Cunningham and Young are much closer in rush attempts. Young never had more than 537 yards rushing in a season (and other than that year, never hit 500 yards) while Cunningham had a year with 942 and 2 others over 600. Basically, I think that both Vick and, to a lesser degree, Cunningham were more likely to take off running than Young. They were both better runners, as well.

Young had a pro bowl line but it doesn't matter how much they ran to me. The fact is they all could break a defense by running. Steve Young ran either a 4.4 or 4.5 40 and he was a good runner. He was not as fast as Vick but he might have been just as fast as Cunningham.

Walter Payton was great but I think Barry Sanders was better. They all work out and Sanders had great sportsmanship although I don't grade sportsmanship high when you play a violent sport. You expect some nastiness to come in such a physical game.

Sanders was great also, no doubt. Crazy explosive running back that coud make db's look foolish every Sunday.

I'm sticking with Payton, although I'm biased. Grew up watching the guy.

Mine is Walter Payton, he's responsible for me becoming a true Bears fan. I had rooted for the Bears as a kid for a few seasons before Walter started playing, but wasn't a real fan yet. Mr. Payton changed that. He was a treat to watch. He was extremely strong, very quick, and a fierce competitor. He sat out just ONE game during his 13 year career. We'll most likely never see another running back like him again. So who are some of YOUR favorites?

Oh, and he was so bluesy. But hey, Chicago am I right? And then there was Little Walter. Tell them of your many "roots".

Spectator.

Forum List

Back