White House Endorses Internet Sales Tax

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
so your Dear Leader LIED to you again, not one dime of NEW TAXES...tsk tsk
pony up your hard earned money, he needs it.

SNIP:
"The Administration strongly supports S. 743, which will level the playing field for local small business retailers that are in competition every day with large out-of-state online companies," reads the Obama administration's statement on the policy.

Although States presently have the authority to tax the sale of goods or services sold from out-of-state vendors, they are prevented under current law from requiring the collection of such duly-enacted taxes. As a consequence, while local small business retailers follow the law and collect sales taxes from customers who make purchases in their stores, many big business online and catalog retailers do not collect the same taxes. Because these out-of-state companies are able to play by a different set of rules, this disparity undermines the ability of cities and States to invest in K-12 education, police and fire protection, access to affordable health care, and funding for roads and bridges. This bill would eliminate the unfair advantage currently enjoyed by big out-of-state online companies over local neighborhood-based small businesses.

all of it here
White House Endorses Internet Sales Tax | The Weekly Standard

[ame=http://youtu.be/eHlRY3kHhBk]Not a Dime in Tax Increase for Those Earning Less than $250,000 - YouTube[/ame]

Of course they do......
The White House has never met a tax they didn't like.

The STATES are the driving force for this tax. Desperado.

Both Republican and Democratic governors want it.

The STATES are the driving force for this tax. Desperado.

Both Republican and Democratic governors want it.

Of course they do.

The internet is not cheap and the additional traffic generated by sales is forcing communications upgrades. Private companies do not want to shoulder the entire cost of that.

Americans love that "Levels the Playing Field" line, they fall for it every time.

Except it does.

And it also helps local economies.

:lmao:

Sallow happily steals from people via the ballot box, then cheers for how the state squanders it. Then will turn around and advocate another tax that "helps the economy". Only to watch it too get squandered and then....advocates another tax.

Statists are nothing if not completely predictable.

and then the house will be deemed "obstructionist" for not agreeing to the demands of other statists for a new "economiy helping" tax.

Does anyone actually believe that taxes help local economies? That's got to be the stupid fucking thing I've ever heard. Ever.

The bureaucracy needed to collect and transfer tax payments will cost more than any tax collected.

No wonder the fucking government thinks it's a good deal.

As one who is forced to be a tax collector for free for both the feds and my state I certainly don't need to be forced to collect taxes for other states.

But then if I can charge the fucking government for my labor I might reconsider after all why should anyone be forced to work for free?

I buy a few things from Internet merchants and note that some collect taxes and some don't. In my state, Louisiana, there is a requirement to report, on your state income tax form, those out of state purchases for which a sales tax was not paid.

However, it's not well monitored nor enforced for small transactions so it becomes, in effect, voluntary.

By having the tax collected by Internet merchants the state gets their share.

What isn't addressed is city, parish (county), and other taxing authorities that share in the sales tax, which can be as much as 6% of the purchase price.

Collection problems will be eventually solved I'm sure. No government wants to see a potential tax source untapped. In this computer age the tax man can track a piss ant around the world.

Regards,

I buy a few things from Internet merchants and note that some collect taxes and some don't. In my state, Louisiana, there is a requirement to report, on your state income tax form, those out of state purchases for which a sales tax was not paid.

However, it's not well monitored nor enforced for small transactions so it becomes, in effect, voluntary.

By having the tax collected by Internet merchants the state gets their share.

What isn't addressed is city, parish (county), and other taxing authorities that share in the sales tax, which can be as much as 6% of the purchase price.

Collection problems will be eventually solved I'm sure. No government wants to see a potential tax source untapped. In this computer age the tax man can track a piss ant around the world.

Regards,

You don't realize the sheer volume of work it would be for a retailer to collect taxes for 50 different states, separate those taxes via the point of sale and accounting software, keep up with sales tax changes in all 50 states, file sales taxes in all 50 states every month etc etc.

It's basically making every retailer in the country work as a tax collector for all 50 states for free.

[/quote]

You don't realize the sheer volume of work it would be for a retailer to collect taxes for 50 different states, separate those taxes via the point of sale and accounting software, keep up with sales tax changes in all 50 states, file sales taxes in all 50 states every month etc etc.

It's basically making every retailer in the country work as a tax collector for all 50 states for free.[/QUOTE]

I view the scenario you describe as an opportunity for a new or expansion of companies that do book keeping and business taxes preparation for small to medium size companies that don't have such an in house capability. It's done all the time on a smaller scale. My plumber has his own bookie. So does my Air conditioner man. If this universal tax collection idea gains traction, software will be demanded so merchants can farm this task out and pay for it by higher prices to the consumer.

The American way. See a need and fill it.

It's basically making every retailer in the country work as a tax collector for all 50 states for free.

I view the scenario you describe as an opportunity for a new or expansion of companies that do book keeping and business taxes preparation for small to medium size companies that don't have such an in house capability. It's done all the time on a smaller scale. My plumber has his own bookie. So does my Air conditioner man. If this universal tax collection idea gains traction, software will be demanded so merchants can farm this task out and pay for it by higher prices to the consumer.

The American way. See a need and fill it.

Companies that start to keep up with excessive government regulation are not the new businesses we need.

It's the needs of the consumer that need to be filled.

And you haven't addressed the issue of states pressing nonresident businesses into service for no compensation.

Americans love that "Levels the Playing Field" line, they fall for it every time.

Except it does.

And it also helps local economies.
You see? Who thinks the Gov't taking taxes helps and economy? Americans do!

Wave that Tax Flag!

Not Americans. It's not a nationalist thing, it's a statist thing. If there is one thing the State is good at it is indoctrinating thoughtless lumps of matter like sallow that the state is the answer to everything. That people who want to keep their earnings are greedy, but the the state wanting to steal their earnings is compassionate and ethically/morally omnipotent.

You betcha Hussein endorsed another tax. He will squeeze every dime he can from mom&pop businesses so he can offer free medical care to the estimated ten million criminals who are illegally in the Country.

Forum List

Back