Whittaker Chambers, Communism, and Intelligent Design

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
We've all seen the references 'grammar Nazi' or 'Soup Nazi' and the like. And we recognize the implied meaning: harsh, overbearing, a kind of 'murderous'....an attempted humorous reference to the horrors of the Holocaust.

But few reflect on this: why isn't the reference 'grammar Communist' or 'Soup Communist'? It should be.
The communist regime of Stalin supported Hitler, taught the Nazis about mass murder and concentration camps....I mean literally, actually taught the SS. Communism was and is far more of a disaster to mankind.

The real reason for the differences between the two sets of phrases, one in use, one not imagined, is that communism won in the United States.

There were brave men who tried to warn us....but they've been relegated to 'the ash heap of history.'
Whittaker Chambers is one of those brave men.

1. Whittaker Chambers, whose autobiography 'Witness', published in 1952, details his life as an agent in the Fourth Section of Soviet Military Intelligence from 1932 to 1938, where he coordinated espionage activities with high-ranking United States government officials.
'Witness' also movingly explains Chambers' departure from Communism and his conversion to Christianity."
Two Faiths: The Witness of Whittaker Chambers | Acton Institute

2. In the book, Chambers talks at length about Communist antipathy toward religion.

“The Communist vision,” says Chambers, “is the vision of man without God. It is the vision of man’s mind displacing God as the creative intelligence of the world.”

The “Communist challenge,” he says, is “Faith in God or faith in Man?”... . Lenin in 1920 said that Communists rejected any moral code based in a belief in God, and that the Communist definition of morality is anything that would further the cause of world Communism.....

Chambers points out that Communist hostility to religion was not specific to Christianity. Members of his espionage group were just as hostile to Judaism. He describes the attitude of his boss in the Underground, an ethnically Jewish Russian named Boris Bykov: “Bykov was Jewish, but he was a violent anti-Semite. His hatred of rabbis was pathological.
Whittaker Chambers on Atheism and Communism | The Other Half of History

3. Chambers’ journey from Communism to anti-Communism started one day when he was watching his firstborn child sitting in her high chair eating.

“She was the most miraculous thing,” said Chambers, “that had ever happened in my life.” “…My eye came to rest on the delicate convolutions of her ear – those intricate, perfect ears. The thought passed through my mind” ‘No, those ears were not created by any chance coming together of atoms in nature (the Communist view). They could have been created only by an immense design’.”These thoughts were heresy to a Communist, and were the start of his conversion.
Ibid.

4. One morning in 1938, shortly before leaving the Communist Party, while feeding his young daughter, Chambers concluded that the shape of her ear could not be explained by Marxist materialism. Something this beautiful and unique, Chambers observed, implied design, which implied the existence of God.

Understanding the divine gift of his daughter Ellen, also strangely related to the horrific irruption within Chambers of the "screams" from Communism's suffering victims. He writes "[O]ne day the Communist really hears those screams. [The screams] … do not merely reach his mind. They pierce beyond. They pierce to his soul." A soul in agony, in this case, a person under persecution by Communist authorities, has attempted to communicate with another soul through memory and across time.

The crucial significance of both episodes rests in Chambers embracing the presence of his soul, thus denying the false materialism of Communism and the darkness it had covered him in.

As Chambers observed, "A Communist breaks because he must choose at last between irreconcilable opposites—God or Man, Soul or Mind, Freedom or Communism."
Two Faiths: The Witness of Whittaker Chambers | Acton Institute

5. “It was shortly before we moved to Alger Hiss's apartment in Washington. My daughter was in her high chair. I was watching her eat. She was the most miraculous thing that had ever happened in my life.

“The thought passed through my mind: 'No, those ears were not created by any chance coming together of atoms in nature (the Communist view). They could have been created only by immense design.'

The classic argument that English philosopher William Paley made famous in the 1700s in his book 'Natural Theology' — that the existence of a watch means there must be a watchmaker, just as the design in nature shows there was a Designer (God) — is still more powerful than many Christians think.

The design that Whittaker Chambers could see in his baby daughter's ear had such an overwhelming impact on him that he admits that as a communist he had to force the obvious conclusion out of his mind: that God designed us — we did not evolve.
Intelligent design influenced communist spy Whittaker Chambers

6. Chambers’ great love was his children. And it was for his children that he was willing to die as a martyr and as a witness to the truth. But in the process, his own life demonstrated how the truth can transform a man, even a man that is discouraged and depressed about his role in history.

Whittaker Chambers was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Reagan in 1984.
Whittaker Chambers | MisterRichardson.com

in that case, how about grammar liberal or soup liberal. who is trying to be more controlling of our lives than them

in that case, how about grammar liberal or soup liberal. who is trying to be more controlling of our lives than them

That might be redundant to the OP.....

After all,

Whittaker Chambers wrote in his book WITNESS that liberals are/were incapable of ever effectively fighting Communism because they did not see anything in Communism that was antithetical to their own beliefs. In short, Liberals are Communists and Communists are Liberals.

"Chambers was an intelligent man and gifted writer, eventually ending up as one of the editors on Time magazine, earning the then astronomical sum of $30,000 dollars a year. He was communist in his young adulthood, working actively in the support of the Stalinist Soviet Union, both as a spy and as an agent of influence.

As a result of his conversion, he gave up his job, his friends and reputation, to "rat" out on his former communist buddies, particularly Alger Hiss.

The proposition with regard to his child's ear was not some form of rational construction, rather the thought, "popped" into his head the same way the vision of the coffee cup in front of me "pops" into my mind: it was sensed.

As a result of his experience, Chambers became a Christian, but he never did settle on one denomination. It appears that he did not really care all that much about the theology of God, only the reality(and the implications) of His existence.

Communism, and its parent atheism, were incompatible with that view."
The Social Pathologist: Whittaker Chambers

the Right Wing SOUP REACTIONARY, our very own blogger of weirdness, strikes again. Lots of assertion, some perspiration, and no objective evidence. Only evolution (which is God's ID protocol) could produce a PC.

the Right Wing SOUP REACTIONARY, our very own blogger of weirdness, strikes again. Lots of assertion, some perspiration, and no objective evidence. Only evolution (which is God's ID protocol) could produce a PC.

1. "SOUP REACTIONARY"!
This is most cleverness I've ever seen you exhibit!
Is it those new male enhancement vitamin pills you've been taking?

2. "...our very own blogger of weirdness..." Guilty as charged.

3. "Lots of assertion, some perspiration, and no objective evidence. "

See....now you went and ruined it....right back to your default: back to being a bonehead.
Once again, you show no facility with the English language.

Remedial coming right up:
as•ser•tion ( -sûr sh n)
n.
1. The act of asserting.
2. Something declared or stated positively, often with no support or attempt at proof.
assertion - definition of assertion by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

What is the assertion without support or attempted proof?
That Chamber's wrote "Witness"? That he was a communist spy? That communism is atheistic? That communism causes suffering? That Chamber's found God? Or that the intricate beauty of his daughter inspired same?
What??

For which of the above do you claim support or proof is missing?

a. Why...that's like claiming that you should be housed in a 'nervous hospital' is unsubstantiated!!!!

4. The minimal qualification for responding to an OP should be the ability to read. Your post suggests that even that qualification is now optional.

5. " Only evolution (which is God's ID protocol) could produce a PC."
(Curtsy)

Family, and having loved ones, is the very antithesis of atheistic communism.
We see that in Whittaker Chambers' case....

1. To carry that idea forward, the welfare state, with Big Government replacing a need for a father in the home, results in family dissolution, and a lessening of the need/desire for religion.

We see that in the Scandinavian countries which pioneered the no family, no children plan.
" The lowest European figure for household size is for Sweden, with 1.9 persons per household in2002 (Eurostat 2004)."
http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/research/energy/downloads/40house/chapter03.pdf

2. Mary Eberstadt, scholar at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution, has posited in her book "How The West Really Lost God," that the trend of dissolution of family, is the main reason for the decline of religion.

In her view, the image and characterization of the father at the head of the family was a reflection of Judeo-Christianity. And, the growth of the solitaire lifestyle, and specifically, single-mother family, varies, inversely, with religious faith. As she says, familial illiteracy equals religious illiteracy.

a. According to Eberstadt, Judeo-Christian religion is based on a loving, compassionate God, and that concept required one to understand a father-figure in that light. Therefore, non-traditional families, many with no father in the home, are "religiously illiterate," as are the ever-increasing number of families who choose not to have children. After all, Christianity is based on the birth of a child.

3.There is proof that the welfare state, perhaps in substituting for the role of father and provider, causes family dissolution.

Last edited:
For the Liberal/Progressive/Communist/DeathPanelDemocrats....for whom the 'education' industry is a wholly owned subsidiary, what better way to indoctrinate than to attack and lie about any who defame communism.

That strategy can be gleaned in this comment from a reader of a blog about Whittaker Chambers conversion from communism:

"Several years ago I bought Whittaker Chamber's book Witness in a used bookstore for no particular reason. It's a long book, and certainly tedious in places, but it absolutely stunned me for this reason. The man who wrote the book bore no resemblance to the man my high school and university history teachers had told me about. He was intelligent, highly literate, ethical, sensitive, and complex.

I'd been given the impression he was some grubby little rat. That's when I began to look into some of the other certainties I'd been taught. Oh Dear"
The Social Pathologist: Whittaker Chambers

If Americans cannot wrest control of the schools and the media from these enemies, the noble experiment is ended.

"That's when I began to look into some of the other certainties I'd been taught."

This is Paul Revere's lantern in the church tower....

Last edited:
The reality is that academicians and scientists of all stripes lie.

They lie to advance their careers, or to get financial grants, or for any of the reasons that can be traced to human nature.

More significantly....they lie without realizing it if they are Liberals.
Even Liberals admit this inadvertently when they claim that experimental data was funded by, for example, Big Oil, or the tobacco industry....and, therefore, cannot be trusted.

Case in point, the famed anthropologist Margaret Mead:

a. 'Honesty falls by the wayside, as well. Sociologist Steven Goldberg states that on numerous occasions Margaret Mead denied that her research disproved the existence of sex differences. “Feminism Against Science,” National Review, November 18, 1991, p.30. Yet Goldberg found that 36 of the 38 sociology texts, indicated that Mead’s work demonstrated the environmental provenance of male and female behavior.'
Bork, “Slouching Toward Gomorrah,” ch. 11.

Mead takes the doctrinaire Liberal-feminist position, not realizing her own work denies it.

The attacks on Whittaker Chambers, and the defense of the spy Alger Hiss come from the same political outlook, Liberalism.

Americans lie on average about 200 times a day according to my sociology textbook in college.

Why wouldn't people lie? If you are in a post Christian America and if you or someone don't believe there is a God to hold you accountable to then why wouldn't someone lie?
Lying is something that little kids do by nature and you actually have to be taught not to do which is what the Ten Commandments do; teach you, "thou shalt not lie".

Americans lie on average about 200 times a day according to my sociology textbook in college.

Why wouldn't people lie? If you are in a post Christian America and if you or someone don't believe there is a God to hold you accountable to then why wouldn't someone lie?
Lying is something that little kids do by nature and you actually have to be taught not to do which is what the Ten Commandments do; teach you, "thou shalt not lie".

Yet the Left invests any who wear the label 'scientist,' or 'Professor' as having "über -human" ethics.

When Liberals hear the words ‘studies show,’ or ‘experts say,’ they cease to ‘question authority.’
Hence…Lock-Step Liberals

Oh....and one more example of authority for Leftists: any lying rapist former President...as long as he lost his law license, too.

Doubt that communism/Liberalism has won in this nation, and controls the schools?
A prime piece of evidence is the Left's replacing learning with the Left-wing ‘trinity’= race, gender, class.

Nothing else matter....especially the grounding of Western civilization.

1. A college student rebels against.....Mozart!

"Why did I have to listen in music humanities to this Mozart?" she groused in a discussion of the curriculum reported by David Denby in "Great Books," his 1997 account of re-enrolling in Columbia's core curriculum.

"My problem with the core is that it upholds the premises of white supremacy and racism. It's a racist core. Who is this Mozart, this Haydn, these superior white men? There are no women, no people of color."
These are not the idiosyncratic thoughts of one disgruntled student; they represent the dominant ideology in the humanities today."
Heather Mac Donald: The Humanities Have Forgotten Their Humanity - WSJ.com

2. "Is Schuman content with a situation in which a Columbia student rails against having been asked merely to listen to Mozart because Mozart is a dead white male?

Where might that student have picked up that attitude if not from the academy and its offshoots? Whiteness studies, black studies, feminist studies, and queer studies are not a fever dream of the “neocons.”

For decades now, students have been taught to search for an echo of their own “voices” in the books they read and to reject those works that they believe “exclude” them, a remarkably narrow approach to the arts.... Why not revel in the far more eloquent and surprising “voices” of Dreiser, Beerbohm, or Wells, for example, whose understanding of human passions and ability to craft sentences of stunning beauty and precision far outstrip our own?"
Nothing More Timeless Than Ignorance by Heather Mac Donald, City Journal 13 January 2014

Again..."Where might that student have picked up that attitude if not from the academy and its offshoots?"

And that is the same place that heroes such as Whittaker Chambers, or Senator Joseph McCarthy have received the slanders of the Left.

Oh Whittaker Chambers, a man called a liar, a spy and a traitor.

And then testified at trial that he was in fact all 3.
He testified he was a traitor, a liar and a spy.
But he was not fibbing about Hiss that time, only lied about him all the other times.
Chambers would not last 10 minutes in any court room before any jury these days.
Red Scare boogeyman show trial jury would have convicted Jesus Christ in those times.

A college textbook says all folks lie 200 times a day.
And you fall for that garbage?

Chambers wasn't just an idealistic kid. He was a freaking commie spy. Contrary to low information leftie education, anti-communist rhetoric wasn't invented by the republican party. Harry Truman authorized the democrat majority in congress to establish HUAC and the congressional committee did it's best to expose communist espionage within the government and the American social structure. Lefties portray Chambers as both a victim and a crusader and they get away with it because generations of union educated kids have been taught that Communism was a legitimate concept.

Chambers wasn't just an idealistic kid. He was a freaking commie spy. Contrary to low information leftie education, anti-communist rhetoric wasn't invented by the republican party. Harry Truman authorized the democrat majority in congress to establish HUAC and the congressional committee did it's best to expose communist espionage within the government and the American social structure. Lefties portray Chambers as both a victim and a crusader and they get away with it because generations of union educated kids have been taught that Communism was a legitimate concept.

Ann Coulter a "leftie"?
The right wing are the ones proclaiming Chambers as a victim in this.
Chambers was an admitted liar.
Maybe he was telling the truth but if there is not reasonable doubt when the main witness admits to changing his story multiple times on the defendant Hiss then there is no such thing as reasonable doubt.
Chambers is front center Exhibit A Poster Boy for right wing support of McCarthy and his circus.

Oh Whittaker Chambers, a man called a liar, a spy and a traitor.

And then testified at trial that he was in fact all 3.
He testified he was a traitor, a liar and a spy.
But he was not fibbing about Hiss that time, only lied about him all the other times.
Chambers would not last 10 minutes in any court room before any jury these days.
Red Scare boogeyman show trial jury would have convicted Jesus Christ in those times.

I never found you to be truthful, nor worth responding to, and pretty much a fool....

...but, today, your reward will be found here:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/335509-alger-hiss-a-definitive-discussion.html#post8471790

OK, let us take a good look at the facts, something PC totally ignores, and add this up.
Chambers was head of a Soviet spy ring with over 20 operatives.
How come none of the others were ever prosecuted?
Because Chambers' stories on each and every one of them was the same as Hiss. Different versions every time he was interviewed.
Chambers was an admitted liar.
His intelligence is so good when he "turned" to our side only ONE of them was ever prosecuted and never for espionage even though Chambers first went to our government in 1939 with all of his "information".
Chambers first allegations in 1939 were dismissed as bogus.
Chambers joins Time magazine after "coming out" of hiding.
He fingers Hiss with his 7th version of what happened. Government psychiatrist that saw Chambers ruled him a pathological liar.
Hiss' character witnesses at trial included 2 Supreme Court Justices.
After the Hiss case Chambers writes for other magazines and writes a long book.
Made a lot of money in the entire process.
And naive and gullible people fall for it.

Last edited:
But few reflect on this: why isn't the reference 'grammar Communist' or 'Soup Communist'?

Of course we do use terms like the COMMISAR of whatever, (a communist reference) or the CZAR of something-or-other (as Russian reference)

But when it comes to the definition of evil, HITLER IS STILL NUMERIO UNO.

Not that he should be, there's plenty as evil as he, but he's the guy.

FWIW back in the 19th century NAPOLEON was the monster of choice

But few reflect on this: why isn't the reference 'grammar Communist' or 'Soup Communist'?

Of course we do use terms like the COMMISAR of whatever, (a communist reference) or the CZAR of something-or-other (as Russian reference)

But when it comes to the definition of evil, HITLER IS STILL NUMERIO UNO.

Not that he should be, there's plenty as evil as he, but he's the guy.

FWIW back in the 19th century NAPOLEON was the monster of choice

Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and a handful of other communists make Hitler look like a choir boy.
At last count communists lined up over 100 million to be shot in the back in the head or smothered to death with a plastic bag over their head.

Forum List

Back