Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball second basemen, all-time?

Horace Clark. SHUT UP!

I became a Yankee fan at a real challenging time
Interesting choice. I DO remember the name, but not his stats. I'll look them up. And thanks for your post, it gives me another player to look into. I love doing this, I'm STILL a stat hound at heart.
Not impressive offensive numbers for Clarke, but he must have been very good defensively because he played quite a few seasons for the Yankees and finished his career with the Padres. And he had an eye-popping 686 at bats in 1970 for the Yankees, QUITE a number. I believe the MLB record for a season is just over 700.
Jimmy Rollins, playing for the Phillies in 2007, holds the MLB all-time single season record for most at bats with an amazing 716. Clarke is in a tie for 15th place all-time with his 686.
As you see, I DO love sports stats, especially baseball.

Horace Clark. SHUT UP!

Interesting choice. I DO remember the name, but not his stats. I'll look them up. And thanks for your post, it gives me another player to look into. I love doing this, I'm STILL a stat hound at heart.
Not impressive offensive numbers for Clarke, but he must have been very good defensively because he played quite a few seasons for the Yankees and finished his career with the Padres. And he had an eye-popping 686 at bats in 1970 for the Yankees, QUITE a number. I believe the MLB record for a season is just over 700.
Jimmy Rollins, playing for the Phillies in 2007, holds the MLB all-time single season record for most at bats with an amazing 716. Clarke is in a tie for 15th place all-time with his 686.
Just for the heck of it, I looked up MLB's all-time leaders in career at bats. Pete Rose is far and away the leader with an incredible 14,053 for his career, almost TWO THOUSAND ahead of Hank Aaron, with 12,364! Rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, he DID bet on baseball while still a player and manager, but he never bet on his own team. The powers that be PLEASE put this man in the Hall!

Thanks for your post. White and Whitaker were very fine at their position. The only reason I left Carew off my list is because he played almost exclusively at first base for nearly half of his career. But I do think he was one of the greatest pure hitters the game has ever seen.
Personally, and as big Twins fan, he was the most overrated singles hitter ever...The Angels tried him in the 3 and 5 holes in the lineup, thinking that he'd stack up the RBIs, and it never happened....He could set the table and steal a base here and there, but he couldn't drive the ball for shit.

And? :dunno:

I idolized Rod Carew as a kid, not easy for living in an NL market. And he wore my number. But I dug Carew for his hitting, so far as I knew about it. But more recently I dug the way Ben Revere swung the bat too, and he doesn't have power either. That ain't the point.

As far as second basemen I go immediately to Chase. Everything he did, he did it the right way. And never once showed off about it. Second one is Dave Cash. He brought a real energy. When he took the box to bat leadoff you could see in all his body language that he was about to make something happen.

Horace Clark. SHUT UP!

Just for the heck of it, I looked up MLB's all-time leaders in career at bats. Pete Rose is far and away the leader with an incredible 14,053 for his career, almost TWO THOUSAND ahead of Hank Aaron, with 12,364! Rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, he DID bet on baseball while still a player and manager, but he never bet on his own team. The powers that be PLEASE put this man in the Hall!

Agree. I did a thread on that long long ago. Of course Pete played all over the field though IIRC he started at second base.

Horace Clark. SHUT UP!

J-Roll won MVP that year, and had 20 triples. Twenty.

Horace Clark. SHUT UP!

I know,that is total bullshit that those two liars and cheaters belicheat and shady brady get to go into the hall of shame but rose is left out,that is so fucked up.mlb by depriving of him being in there is the hall of shame of baseball

Ryne Sandberg was a hometown guy so I have to rate him #1 though somebody like Hornsby had all the numbers.

Forum List

Back