Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball second basemen, all-time?

This one, like my other baseball questions, is about players who played either their whole career or the majority of their career at that position. My top picks are - 1) Rogers Hornsby, easily the best hitting second baseman ever, he finished his career with an eye-popping .358 batting average. And he had a lot of power at the plate. He MAY be in my top 10 MLB players ever. 2) Joe Morgan, one of the sparkplugs of the Cincinnatti Reds' Big Red Big Machine from the late 1960's to the mid to late 1970's, Joe could do it all. He was a good hitter, with good power at the plate, and he was great defensively. He also stole quite a few bases in his career. And he became a very good baseball sportscaster after his playing days were over. 3) Ryne Sandberg, like Joe Morgan, was a good hitter and had very good power for a second baseman. He was also a very fine defensive player. So, here are a few of my favorites, who are some of yours?
Brandon Phbipps and Joe morgan.

This one, like my other baseball questions, is about players who played either their whole career or the majority of their career at that position. My top picks are - 1) Rogers Hornsby, easily the best hitting second baseman ever, he finished his career with an eye-popping .358 batting average. And he had a lot of power at the plate. He MAY be in my top 10 MLB players ever. 2) Joe Morgan, one of the sparkplugs of the Cincinnatti Reds' Big Red Big Machine from the late 1960's to the mid to late 1970's, Joe could do it all. He was a good hitter, with good power at the plate, and he was great defensively. He also stole quite a few bases in his career. And he became a very good baseball sportscaster after his playing days were over. 3) Ryne Sandberg, like Joe Morgan, was a good hitter and had very good power for a second baseman. He was also a very fine defensive player. So, here are a few of my favorites, who are some of yours?
NEver saw Hornsby so cant comment on him.love your other picks though of Morgan and sandberg though. My top three favorite picks are my favorite is rod carew,he got screwed over by baseball.the twins should have honored him by doing the same thing the reds did with Pete rose.they should have brought him back as a dh,had they done that,he could have finally have gone to the World Series with them in 1987. Second favorite is frank white.third favorite,Lou Whitaker.its a travesty of justice that the white rat whitey hersock, who was a crappy manager got into Cooperstown but Whitaker,trammel and white all have been left off.:14:

NEver saw Hornsby so cant comment on him.love your other picks though of Morgan and sandberg though. My top three favorite picks are my favorite is rod carew,he got screwed over by baseball.the twins should have honored him by doing the same thing the reds did with Pete rose.they should have brought him back as a dh,had they done that,he could have finally have gone to the World Series with them in 1987. Second favorite is frank white.third favorite,Lou Whitaker.its a travesty of justice that the white rat whitey hers oh who was a crappy manager got into Cooperstown but Whitaker,trammel and white all haveeen left off.:14:
Thanks for your post. White and Whitaker were very fine at their position. The only reason I left Carew off my list is because he played almost exclusively at first base for nearly half of his career. But I do think he was one of the greatest pure hitters the game has ever seen.

Thanks for your post. White and Whitaker were very fine at their position. The only reason I left Carew off my list is because he played almost exclusively at first base for nearly half of his career. But I do think he was one of the greatest pure hitters the game has ever seen.
Personally, and as big Twins fan, he was the most overrated singles hitter ever...The Angels tried him in the 3 and 5 holes in the lineup, thinking that he'd stack up the RBIs, and it never happened....He could set the table and steal a base here and there, but he couldn't drive the ball for shit.

Steve Sax and Roberto Alomar
Two good ones, especially Alomar. Roberto is my #4 pick all-time now, and I'll drop Mazeroski to #5. I can't believe I forgot Alomar! He was absolutely great defensively, and he was a fine hitter, as well. The only reason Rod Carew isn't in my top five is because he played nearly all of the second half of his career at first base.
A couple interesting things about Rod Carew's career. He's the only player in MLB history to win a batting title despite not hitting any home runs in that season. He did this in the 1972 season, batting .318. And when he hit a blistering .388 to win the batting title in 1977, he hit 14 home runs and had 100 RBI.
Like I said "Warning track power" LOL

Love Rogers Hornsby and Joe Morgan. My third pick would be Eddie Collins...another oldie but goodie!

Personally, and as big Twins fan, he was the most overrated singles hitter ever...The Angels tried him in the 3 and 5 holes in the lineup, thinking that he'd stack up the RBIs, and it never happened....He could set the table and steal a base here and there, but he couldn't drive the ball for shit.
That IS true. But he did finish his career with a blistering .328 batting average and hit for an eye-popping .388 in 1977, when he also had 14 home runs and 100 RBI. It's strange that he never showed that kind of power again.

Love Rogers Hornsby and Joe Morgan. My third pick would be Eddie Collins...another oldie but goodie!
I forgot about Collins! Thanks for the reminder.

That IS true. But he did finish his career with a blistering .328 batting average and hit for an eye-popping .388 in 1977, when he also had 14 home runs and 100 RBI. It's strange that he never showed that kind of power again.
I checked Carew's stats, he also hit 14 home runs in 1975, along with 80 RBI and a blistering .359 batting average. He hit 9 home runs in 1976, the 14 in 1977, then his power numbers completely died. Strange.

I checked Carew's stats, he also hit 14 home runs in 1975, along with 80 RBI and a blistering .359 batting average. He hit 9 home runs in 1976, the 14 in 1977, then his power numbers completely died. Strange.
But he DID win an amazing SEVEN batting titles in his career. I believe only Ty Cobb won more, and Tony Gwynn also won seven titles.

Yeah, he was excellent with the Twins, but Calvin Griffith traded him at the right time....He spent the rest of his career in Anaheim slapping and blooping singles for Gene Mauch.

But he DID win an amazing SEVEN batting titles in his career. I believe only Ty Cobb won more, and Tony Gwynn also won seven titles.
This is interesting, Ty Cobb DID win 12 batting titles, easily the most ever, but Tony Gwynn actually won 8, as did Rogers Hornsby.

I checked Collins' career stats, WOW! He was a career .333 hitter, with 3315 career hits. He had next to no power at the plate, but he played the majority of career in the "dead ball" era, before Babe Ruth changed all that. So, upon further review, Collins is now my #3 pick all-time, with only Hornsby, #1, and Morgan, #2, ahead of him. Sandberg drops to #4, and Alomar to #5. Thanks again for bringing up Collins.

Horace Clark. SHUT UP!

I became a Yankee fan at a real challenging time
Interesting choice. I DO remember the name, but not his stats. I'll look them up. And thanks for your post, it gives me another player to look into. I love doing this, I'm STILL a stat hound at heart.
Not impressive offensive numbers for Clarke, but he must have been very good defensively because he played quite a few seasons for the Yankees and finished his career with the Padres. And he had an eye-popping 686 at bats in 1970 for the Yankees, QUITE a number. I believe the MLB record for a season is just over 700.

Horace Clark. SHUT UP!

I became a Yankee fan at a real challenging time
Interesting choice. I DO remember the name, but not his stats. I'll look them up. And thanks for your post, it gives me another player to look into. I love doing this, I'm STILL a stat hound at heart.
Not impressive offensive numbers for Clarke, but he must have been very good defensively because he played quite a few seasons for the Yankees and finished his career with the Padres. And he had an eye-popping 686 at bats in 1970 for the Yankees, QUITE a number. I believe the MLB record for a season is just over 700.
Jimmy Rollins, playing for the Phillies in 2007, holds the MLB all-time single season record for most at bats with an amazing 716. Clarke is in a tie for 15th place all-time with his 686.

Forum List

Back