Who is the greatest rock voice in history?

Let's set some ground rules, and admit that nobody is entirely correct here. However, there are people who even if you don't like, have undeniable talent.

I have a short list of the greatest rock voices in history, and my standards are a voice that carries the songs, is dynamic and able to wail over three hours, doesn't require technological enhancement or background melodic assist, can perform songs with more power live or acoustic, etc.

There are many legendary bands that have great lead singers but of whom I wouldn't consider... such as Gene Simmons (KISS), Paul McCartney (The Beatles), Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones), Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison (The Doors) Brian/Carl Wilson (Beach Boys), Bon Scott/Brian Johnson (ACDC), David Lee Roth/Sammy Hagar (Van Halen), Joe Elliot (Def Leopard) Axle Rose (Guns & Roses), James Hetfield (Metallica) Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder), Scott Weiland (STP) Nirvana (Kurt Cobain), Chester Bennington (Linkin Park), Dave Grohel (Foo Fighters) Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Elton John, Billy Joel, David Bowie

So let's get to the guys that I personally think have "it", and are the greatest rock voices of all time. I get 2 choices:

• Freddie Mercury (Queen)
  • Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)

The 3 that tied for 2nd would be
  • Steve Perry (Journey)
  • Bono (U2)
  • Robert Plant (Led Zepplin)

The 2"not mainstream and underdog/personal-but-amazing voice" addition I get for making this post would be:

• Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
  • Kevin Maxx (DC Talk)

Go ahead and tell me how wrong I am.

That's it.

You didn't mention Elvis??
Freddie Mercury
Brad Delp (Boston)
David Bowie
John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)
David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
Elton John

You didn't mention Elvis??
Freddie Mercury
Brad Delp (Boston)
David Bowie
John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)
David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
Elton John
I mention most of those in the list that I personally don't consider to be in the absolute elite.

Did you even read my post?

As for some on your list... While some voices have unique sounds and quirks to them, the most elite voices have to have power, range, and unquestionable uniqueness. I don't think Bowie has the range, I don't think Wilson's voice is very "rock", David Lee Roth lacks range, Elton John is more of a pop singer. Brad Delp is close, has amazing range, but IMO kind of a whiney voice, this is ENTIRELY subjective obviously. I think Fogerty is probably in my top 10. If I had to rerank based on how I'm speaking about true "rock"... as in having a textural "gruff" to their voice as well as range and just electic talent... it'd be:

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Chris Cornell
3. Robert Plant
4. John Fogerty
5. Brian Johnson
6. Axle Rose
7. James Hetfield
8. Joe Elliot
9. Kurt Cobain
10. Chester Bennington

Feel free to question me, or introduce your own top 10, and why.

Elvis Presley had the best voice in rock history in my opinion.
He had a spunky, sassy, swagger... but like Sinatra... while the voice was iconic, I wouldn't say it was of the greatest voice. Just because a person doesn't have "that" voice doesn't mean they are any less of a musician or icon in the industry. You can be legendary based on far more than just lyrical range and texture.

As for some on your list... While some voices have unique sounds and quirks to them, the most elite voices have to have power, range, and unquestionable uniqueness. I don't think Bowie has the range, I don't think Wilson's voice is very "rock", David Lee Roth lacks range, Elton John is more of a pop singer. Brad Delp is close, has amazing range, but IMO kind of a whiney voice, this is ENTIRELY subjective obviously. I think Fogerty is probably in my top 10. If I had to rerank based on how I'm speaking about true "rock"... as in having a textural "gruff" to their voice as well as range and just electic talent... it'd be:

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Chris Cornell
3. Robert Plant
4. John Fogerty
5. Brian Johnson
6. Axle Rose
7. James Hetfield
8. Joe Elliot
9. Kurt Cobain
10. Chester Bennington

Feel free to question me, or introduce your own top 10, and why.
1. Elvis Presley
2. Tom Jones
3. Jay Black
4. Steve Perry
5. Little Anthony
6. Smokey Robinson
7. Jackie Wilson
8. Steve Walsh
9. Barry Gibb
10. Eric Burdon

1. Elvis Presley
2. Tom Jones
3. Jay Black
4. Steve Perry
5. Little Anthony
6. Smokey Robinson
7. Jackie Wilson
8. Steve Walsh
9. Barry Gibb
10. Eric Burdon
Interesting list.. I think we're looking for different things in a "rock" voice... but that's okay LOL

Forum List

Back