Who was the first politician to SELL real Americans on the awesome-ness of diversity?

i think that the mess up came in about 1965 or 1966 with 'dead kennedy's' new immigration planning . And then of course with' reagan and bush' and their 'amnesty' in 1986 and only downhill since . -------------------- just a comment .

True Pis..
The people, those funding this nation never had a say in it. BULLSHIT

What is a real American?

Are there lesser Americans?

I, too, don't have any idea what a "real American" is. We have been "diverse" since before the Revolutionary War. Land that has been absorbed into what is now the U.S. was already settled by those who came to be known as "Indians," Mexicans, French, Polynesians/Pacific Islanders, and others.

What is a real American?

Are there lesser Americans?

I, too, don't have any idea what a "real American" is. We have been "diverse" since before the Revolutionary War. Land that has been absorbed into what is now the U.S. was already settled by those who came to be known as "Indians," Mexicans, French, Polynesians/Pacific Islanders, and others.
You have to be a bot.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

~Theodore Roosevelt 1907
All immigrants become Americans, our culture is overwhelming. Most sons and daughters of immigrants from any country or religion look, sound like, and are American as much as we all are. Religious cults can be the exception.

As an aside my great grandfather was welcomed to America as a refugee from communism and if it wasn't for that he would have been eliminated and I wouldn't be here.
And yet you vote for the communists....
Yeah bud full commie every time. Lay off the far right propaganda.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

~Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Goddamnit you know how many people today would brand that speech intolerant and racist? Ironically, the content and context of that speech looks to be the basis for Mexican Immigration Policy.

Forum List

Back