Who wrote the bible?

I've been over this with Dragon, and drock..and now I'll go over it with you...

STOP USING WIKI TO TRY TO PROVE ANYTHING THAT'S CONTROVERSIAL. It is a crap source and is not acceptable.

It's fine for historical information (sometimes) or things for which there is no controversy. But for issues like this, it's worthless, and neither I, nor anybody else, will take you seriously if that's all you have.

I've been over this with Dragon, and drock..and now I'll go over it with you...

STOP USING WIKI TO TRY TO PROVE ANYTHING THAT'S CONTROVERSIAL. It is a crap source and is not acceptable.

It's fine for historical information (sometimes) or things for which there is no controversy. But for issues like this, it's worthless, and neither I, nor anybody else, will take you seriously if that's all you have.

Which is why I directed you to Logos.com.

Did you go there? or did you compeltely ignore it to continue your argument that the Bible is whole and intact and unchanged since God dictated it directly to the Apostles after giving them the ability to read and write?

I went to the Logos site. Your link took me to the home page. If you are going to link sites, I suggest you provide a link to the pertinent page/information, or you CITE the information and then link it, so the person who follows the link knows exactly what it is they are looking for.

Like I said, you guys are amateurs who think you're really cutting edge. It's extremely frustrating...which is why you only are able to engage with each other on this site. Nobody else is interested in giving you the time of day. It's too labor intensive, and the pay off is nil. We have to spend all our time telling you why your logic is crap and explaining to you how an argument is made....and all the while you're crowing about how brilliant you are.

Most people just opt out...which is why nobody reads dragon's or drock's crap anymore. Except dragon and drock, of course.

The truth is, Kosher is correct. The fact that text may have been altered does not negate the fact that the Bible is the inspired word of God. You give tampering the wrong importance. It doesn't prove that the Bible isn't God inspired.
God admonishes us not to add or take away from His word for a reason. And yet we do! BUT,it is not difficult in these times to trace the truth back to the original. IT IS ESSENTIAL. Study IS required. And praying for wisdom and especially discernment is a promise God gladly keeps. If false doctrine invades the Bible, discernment will make it GLOW it will be so transparent. Tampering of God's Holy Word is done to deceive. Get as close as you can to the original and stay there. Do not add or take away from....

And a lack of knowledge started the whole "Pentecostal" movement. It is based on the erroneous translation of 1 Greek word.
Tampering with the Bible can have disastrous consequences, for those who lack discernment. Satan uses 99% of the truth just so he can sneak in that 1% lie and get you to believe it. God promises to point out false doctrine to you if you ask for it. It's free.

I went to the Logos site. Your link took me to the home page. If you are going to link sites, I suggest you provide a link to the pertinent page/information, or you CITE the information and then link it, so the person who follows the link knows exactly what it is they are looking for.

Like I said, you guys are amateurs who think you're really cutting edge. It's extremely frustrating...which is why you only are able to engage with each other on this site. Nobody else is interested in giving you the time of day. It's too labor intensive, and the pay off is nil. We have to spend all our time telling you why your logic is crap and explaining to you how an argument is made....and all the while you're crowing about how brilliant you are.

Most people just opt out...which is why nobody reads dragon's or drock's crap anymore. Except dragon and drock, of course.

So you started a thread about who wrote the bible in order to what?

see how many people agreed with you?

Or to foster a discussion?

If you dont want to discuss, why are you posting on a discussion forum?

Like Ive said before: People only post on forums because they either A) are attentioned starved or B) in love with the sound of their own voice.

Now I know which one category you fall into.

The truth is, Kosher is correct. The fact that text may have been altered does not negate the fact that the Bible is the inspired word of God. You give tampering the wrong importance. It doesn't prove that the Bible isn't God inspired.
God admonishes us not to add or take away from His word for a reason. And yet we do! BUT,it is not difficult in these times to trace the truth back to the original. IT IS ESSENTIAL. Study IS required. And praying for wisdom and especially discernment is a promise God gladly keeps. If false doctrine invades the Bible, discernment will make it GLOW it will be so transparent. Tampering of God's Holy Word is done to deceive. Get as close as you can to the original and stay there. Do not add or take away from....

And a lack of knowledge started the whole "Pentecostal" movement. It is based on the erroneous translation of 1 Greek word.
Tampering with the Bible can have disastrous consequences, for those who lack discernment. Satan uses 99% of the truth just so he can sneak in that 1% lie and get you to believe it. God promises to point out false doctrine to you if you ask for it. It's free.

That is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

The text cannot be both Holy and altered by man at the same time. You say get to the original but which version is that? KJV? NKJV? NWE? YLT? EO? Which one?

If the text has been altered, you have to take away what you can get from it, then TURN TO GOD for answers.

The very idea that you all are arguing AGAINST looking to God, fostering a personal relationship with Him and allowing His will to take precedence is...ridiculous to say the least.

You all can look to the tampered and flawed text if you like. I choose to go to the Source.

From an Authoritative Catholic Perspective.......

A collection of writings which the Church of God has solemnly recognized as inspired.

The name is derived from the Greek expression biblia (the books), which came into use in the early centuries of Christianity to designate the whole sacred volume. In the Latin of the Middle Ages, the neuter plural for Biblia (gen. bibliorum) gradually came to be regarded as a feminine singular noun (biblia, gen. bibliae, in which singular form the word has passed into the languages of the Western world. It means "The Book", by way of eminence, and therefore well sets forth the sacred character of our inspired literature. Its most important equivalents are: "The Divine Library" (Bibliotheca Divina), which was employed by St. Jerome in the fourth century; "the Scriptures", "the Holy Scripture" — terms which are derived from expressions found in the Bible itself; and "the Old and New Testament", in which collective title, "the Old Testament" designates the sacred books written before the coming of Our Lord, and "the New Testament" denotes the inspired writings composed since the coming of Christ.

It is a fact of history that in the time of Christ the Jews were in possession of sacred books, which differed widely from one another in subject, style, origin and scope, and it is also a fact that they regarded all such writings as invested with a character which distinguished them from all other books. This was the Divine authority of every one of these books and of every part of each book. This belief of the Jews was confirmed by Our Lord and His Apostles; for they supposed its truth in their teaching, used it as a foundation of their doctrine, and intimately connected with it the religious system of which they were the founders. The books thus approved were handed down to the Christian Church as the written record of Divine revelation before the coming of Christ. The truths of Christian revelation were made known to the Apostles either by Christ Himself or by the Holy Ghost. They constitute what is called the Deposit of Faith, to which nothing has been added since the Apostolic Age. Some of the truths were committed to writing under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost and have been handed down to us in the books of the New Testament. Written originally to individual Churches or persons, to meet particular necessities, and accommodated as they all were to particular and existing circumstances, these books were gradually received by the universal Church as inspired, and with the sacred books of the Jews constitute the Bible.

In one respect, therefore, the Bible is a twofold literature, made up of two distinct collections which correspond with two successive and unequal periods of time in the history of man. The older of these collection, mostly written in Hebrew, corresponds with the many centuries during which the Jewish people enjoyed a national existence, and forms the Hebrew, or Old Testament, literature; the more recent collection, begun not long after Our Lord's ascension, and made up of Greek writings, is the Early Christian, or New Testament, literature. Yet, in another and deeper respect, the Biblical literature is pre-eminently one. Its two sets of writings are most closely connected with regard to doctrines revealed, facts recorded, customs described, and even expressions used. Above all, both collection have one and the same religious purpose, one and the same inspired character. They form the two parts of a great organic whole the centre of which is the person and mission of Christ. The same Spirit exercised His mysterious hidden influence on the writings of both Testaments, and made of the works of those who lived before Our Lord an active and steady preparation for the New Testament dispensation which he was to introduce, and of the works of those who wrote after Him a real continuation and striking fulfilment of the old Covenant.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Bible

If you put a mitten on the Statue of Liberty, is it still the Statue of Liberty? If you put lipstick on the Mona Lisa, is it still Mona Lisa? The Bible is the inspired word of God. Tampering with it makes it the inspired word of God, tampered with.
Compare your Bible to the Vulgate and the Textus Receptus for any disparities.

This thread is about who wrote the Bible, not about how to have a personal relationship with God. The very idea that I would ever argue AGAINST a personal relationship God is ridiculous. All of the studying in the world can't replace the bond between the God of Abraham and my soul. But since God no longer sits with man at man's campfire, and eats stew, and discusses current events, like what to do with Sodom, we are directed to His inspired word to find His will.
In your learning from the Bible and moving beyond it, to your personal relationship with God, you fail to mention His son, Jesus.
Jesus said, my sheep know my voice. Now unless Jesus has been eating stew at your house, the only place you can hear His voice is in the New Testament. Unless you have it memorized, a daily dose is recommended.

If you put a mitten on the Statue of Liberty, is it still the Statue of Liberty? If you put lipstick on the Mona Lisa, is it still Mona Lisa? The Bible is the inspired word of God. Tampering with it makes it the inspired word of God, tampered with.

This thread is about who wrote the Bible, not about how to have a personal relationship with God. The very idea that I would ever argue AGAINST a personal relationship God is ridiculous. All of the studying in the world can't replace the bond between the God of Abraham and my soul. But since God no longer sits with man at man's campfire, and eats stew, and discusses current events, like what to do with Sodom, we are directed to His inspired word to find His will.
In your learning from the Bible and moving beyond it, to your personal relationship with God, you fail to mention His son, Jesus.
Jesus said, my sheep know my voice. Now unless Jesus has been eating stew at your house, the only place you can hear His voice is in the New Testament. Unless you have it memorized, a daily dose is recommended.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 17:25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.

17:26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

And God is still God, And the Bible is a Tool, The Bible is Not God, though God does work Through the Bible, like He works through other Tools.

God is Spirit and Truth, let us worship Him in Spirit and Truth.

Welcome to Holy Bible the site dedicated to God's word. check out the Online KJV (King James Version) bible and a search.

If you put a mitten on the Statue of Liberty, is it still the Statue of Liberty?

How about if you cut off its head and its left foot, and drill holes all through the torch? That comes a lot closer to describing what's been done to the Bible.

In any case, let's backtrack a bit'; this whole argument over alteration begs the question of whether the Bible was EVER the infallible word of God BEFORE any alteration took place. We don't begin with that assumption and demand that it be proven false, not if we have any intellectual integrity. We begin with the assumption that it is a collection of writings reflecting the attitudes and values of the people and times by which and in which it was written, and look for evidence to prove THAT wrong.

There is very little such evidence, in fact. Just about all the books of the Bible (I'll deal with the exceptions momentarily) show internal evidence of having been written by men of the times when we know they were in fact written, without rising in any way above that.

The five books of the Torah reflect a primitive, savage view of God, man, nature, and morality, just as we should expect if they were the product of a primitive, savage people just beginning to settle down to civilized ways. The histories (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1/2 Samuel, 1/2 Kings, 1/2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther) reflect much the same. In all of this we find a God who is similar in nature to the anthropomorphic deities of other cultures of the time, possessing human mental characteristics including human character flaws. He might as well be Zeus raping mortal women or Ares going into bloody frenzies on the battlefield. Many of the Prophets exhibit the same attitudes about God and what God demands; never do they call down the judgments of God for behavior that we, in our modern perspective, would judge to be deserving of it -- not for misrule or cruelty, for instance -- but always for pursuing other religions or other Gods, or for behaving with LESS savagery than God demanded.

In all of the Old Testament, only the Book of Job and some of the Psalms, and to a lesser extent Proverbs, rise above this level of barbarism. The Song of Solomon is wonderful erotic poetry and, taken the right way, can be like a Tantric or Sufi love poem equating the erotic with the spiritual, so in one sense it transcends the vicious savagery of most of the Old Testament as well.

What of the New Testament? Well, the Gospels do depart from this pattern when they quote Jesus (bearing in mind they were written much later in a more civilized context), but often seem to reflect the credulousness of those times and prevailing mythical stories out of other religions when they aren't quoting him. They are in disagreement with one another about many points, too, which suggests rather less than divine origin.

The Acts of the Apostles, like the histories from the Old Testament, reflects the attitudes, prejudices, and beliefs of the times in which it was written, in this case the early Roman Empire, which makes it a big improvement over the Old Testament histories (which coldly justified genocide on more than one occasion). But there is nothing here to suggest divine origin; the encounter with Simon Magus is particularly suspect, as is the story of Paul's conversion.

As for the Apostolic letters, they reflect advice from religious leaders, some of it wise, some of it foolish, all of it within the parameters of mortal men. Again, no internal evidence of any but human origin.

And finally there's the Book of Revelations, a wild, whirling vision of weirdness barely coherent in its predictions and lending itself to all kinds of less-than-sacred purposes, such as the identification of whoever one disapproves of with the Great Beast (I believe the Pope has been the most popular candidate).

The fact is, the claim that this mish-mash and muddle of the sublime, the preposterous, and the chilling is all of it the infallible word of God is so crazy that it's hard to see how anyone ever believed it. I can only attribute it to the power of the myth of Hell, and the fact that many Christians are afraid to let themselves question.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 17:25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.

17:26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

And God is still God, And the Bible is a Tool, The Bible is Not God, though God does work Through the Bible, like He works through other Tools.

Welcome to Holy Bible the site dedicated to God's word. check out the Online KJV (King James Version) bible and a search.

Except the bible is not the same as other tools, and he doesn't work through the bible as he works through other tools.

The Holy Spirit is actually IN the bible, and IN the words of the Bible.

Reading the Word, even as a non-believer, will bring a person into contact with the holy spirit. As the actual Word of God, it is not a "tool". It is the word of God.

Last edited:
Thank you for that ignorant, irrelevant and completely unsubstantiated pile of crap.

Anything else you'd like to spew?

I'm not much into conspiracy theories, however.

Irrelevant?
Your own thread of "who wrote the Bible" and you are such a defensuive wench you forgot what the subject is of your own thread.
And thanks again for the neg rep. Each one I get from you is a compliment.

It's irrelevant because it's fantasy. And it makes no sense. Try again. You appear to be under the influence..what is with you guys blathering about things you know nothing about when you're wasted? Subject your drinking cronies to your intoxicated rants, but kindly spare us.

Are you a righty who doesn't believe in God? We always hear from the right wing religious people but not so much the Ayn Rand's.

And I find it interesting that the GOP has convinced Christians to follow Rand. Anything but spiritual or religious. She even admitted it.

Rand was clear that her philosophy, known as objectivism, was incompatible with that of Jesus. For her, any system that that required one individual to live for others and follow anything beside his or her own self-interest was immoral. For Jesus, any system or behavior that does not take into account living for others and acting on their behalf is immoral. Christians should take Ayn Rand’s words as a warning. To follow her and her vision, one must give up Christ and his cross.

You heard it, libertarians, go-Galters, and Tea Party rabble rousers: If you cheer Rand’s self-worshipping objectivist ideals, you cheer with the devil.

Read more: Good Christians Don

And not all rich people are greedy.

Ayn Rand (1905-1983) and Lao Russell (1904-1988). These were two of the most powerful women of the 20th century. Their philosophical outlooks were diametrically opposite to one another. Rand was an atheist and argued for the virtues of selfishness, while Russell is a theist and preached the virtues of selflessness.

"Today, 11:22 AM
Dragon
Member #32600 Join Date: Sep 2011
We begin with the assumption that it is a collection of writings reflecting the attitudes and values of the people and times by which and in which it was written, and look for evidence to prove THAT wrong."

And the evidence to prove THAT wrong is........wait for it...................

PROPHESY!!!!!!!!
Boom!

Last edited:

PROPHESY!!!!!!!!
Boom!

No good, for at least five reasons.

1) Many of the prophecies are sufficiently vague as to allow for multiple interpretations.

2) The Gospel accounts were written by men who had full knowledge of the earlier prophecies, and could easily distort facts to make the Jesus narrative fit them. (It's worth noting here that Jewish scholars absolutely disagree with Christian ones regarding how the prophecies should be interpreted.)

3) It is necessary to find external evidence of a prophecy coming true, in order to avoid circularity; one part of the Bible seeming to predict another part is insufficient.

4) To the extent such external evidence is found, it can reflect merely human psychic ability, not divine intervention.

5) The books of the Bible are not a single work but a collection of works, and a correct prophecy found in one of them in no way supports a divine origin for any of the others, even to the extent it supports that hypothesis for the book in which the prophecy actually appears, which it really doesn't.

Last edited:
The Old Testament remains unchanged and is where you find the Bible Code. Every letter had to be exactly where God wanted it to be to create the code. It is reliable.
Someone asked which Bible? NKJ or.......or.......... And that is an extremely important question.
AB had the answer. You need a Hebrew and an ancient Greek translation to your Bible to be sure you are getting the correct meaning of a verse, or a word.
For example, in English, you may read the word "love". In Greek when you read it you'll know whether it means brotherly love or carnal love because they had specific words for every type of love...... Philios, eros, etc. Ancient Greek is a very crisp clear language. It maintains the integrity of the New Testament. The KJ Bible is the closest to the Textus Recptus, and is reliable.

Here is why the Bible should never be worshiped.
While it may be holy, it falls under the same category as Mary, the mother of Christ. She was also holy, but why would you pray to her? She has no special power. Why pray to a creation when you can (Thanks to Good Fri.) pray directly to the creator?

There was a veil that separated man from God in the Holy Temple. It was linen. 60 feet high and over a foot thick. Layer sewn on layer of fine linen. That veil was torn, from the top down when Christ died. Try to tear one piece of linen and you'll see that the more you try the tighter the weave gets. The blood of Christ was sprinkled on the alter. The blood of a lamb would temporarily cover up sin. Christ's blood erased it permanently. Christ gave us a direct access to God. Even Jesus said not to pray to Him, but to the Father, by way of Him.

I am with Kosher on this one, but if she makes the same statement next year, I will wholeheartedly disagree.
In an effort to be politically correct, 2 major Bible printers are removing the 91 verses that proclaim Christ is the Son of God, and so not to offend anyone, they will be replacing the word God, with Allah. That Bible would be better used to start a campfire with..........

Actually, you don't find the Bible Codes in any place other than the Torah as written in Hebrew, which is the first 5 books of the OT. You CANNOT use a Torah code on the Greek translations as the Greek letters do not have numerical equivalents as they do in Hebrew.

Try again.

PROPHESY!!!!!!!!
Boom!

No good, for at least five reasons.

1) Many of the prophecies are sufficiently vague as to allow for multiple interpretations.

2) The Gospel accounts were written by men who had full knowledge of the earlier prophecies, and could easily distort facts to make the Jesus narrative fit them. (It's worth noting here that Jewish scholars absolutely disagree with Christian ones regarding how the prophecies should be interpreted.)

3) It is necessary to find external evidence of a prophecy coming true, in order to avoid circularity; one part of the Bible seeming to predict another part is insufficient.

4) To the extent such external evidence is found, it can reflect merely human psychic ability, not divine intervention.

5) The books of the Bible are not a single work but a collection of works, and a correct prophecy found in one of them in no way supports a divine origin for any of the others, even to the extent it supports that hypothesis for the book in which the prophecy actually appears, which it really doesn't.

Horse shit, Dragon.
Prophesy isn't vague. Understanding is.

1. Let's look at a prophesy that was out of the hands of the "men" to distort:
God told Ezekiel the exact day He would end Israel's punishment for disobedience and give them FINAL restoration to their land.
If you use the ancient Jewish calender, which the Bible does, Ezekiel declared that the final restoration of the Jews to their land would be 2,520 years, minus time already served as captives in Babylon until 536 B.C.
Our calendar has more days per year in it. Using our calendar, that comes to 1947.4 years. But since there was no zero year between 1 B.C. and A.D.1, and we are counting back to the Spring of 536 B.C. we have to include the year that our calendar doesn't account for. Which would make the date of Israel's return to a nation precisely, May, 1948.

2. Using the Laws of Mathematical Probability the chance that 1 person could fulfill the predictions made about Jesus, that he fulfilled, is
1 chance in 480,000000000000000000000000000000
that's
1 chance in 480 billion x 1 billion x 1 trillion.
No knowledgeable men could have rigged that sucess rate, or this:
Amos predicted, before there was a Christ, that the sun would go dark specifically at noon on the day Christ died, an occurrence well documented secularly, to have happened. One reference is from the pagan historian Thallus. They even documented it as far away as China. It is also well documented that an eclipse on that day was an impossibablity.

I could do this all day:
" I'm going to level Sodom and Gomorrah......" KaBOOM!
secular proof = the planetary disk.
Proof of the Divine = one town left unscathed amid the radioactive rubble of the other 5.

Zephaniah, "Ethiopian Jews would return to Israel" (in the last days, mind you.)
1991- more than 85 thousand black Jews from Ethiopia were allowed citizenship in Israel.

Isaiah, "Israel shall blossom and bud and fill the face of the world with fruit."
In the 1800s, Mark Twain visited what was to become Israel and remarked on it's desolate and barren wasteland.
Have you flown over the Middle East lately? Sand, sand, sand, sand, and more sand,and then you see Israel (and He shall increase the rain-Joel 2:23) all lush and green.
And to be specific, guess what one of Israel's biggest exports is............ fruit.

3. Agreed. See above predictions ^

4. Not 10,385. times it doesn't!

5. It really does.
The books of the Bible were carefully compiled under the direction of the Holy Spirit. Correct prophesy is found abundantly in all of them.

If it so easy, forget 3,000 years from now, tell me who is going to win this year's Kentucky Derby.............. :)

Prophesy isn't vague. Understanding is.

In practice, that amounts to the same thing.

None of the prophecies you referred to answered any of the criticisms I presented. Specifically, you have not ruled out either alteration of the prophecies in hindsight or human psychic ability. What's more, AT MOST, this success is an argument for the prophetic abilities of the men in question, and no more. It cannot say anything about the validity of any books of the Bible other than the books of prophecy in which it is contained. It is convincing to you only because you WANT to be convinced.

Last edited:
I suppose God's a busy dude

and you know it's just arrogant to assume we're His only concern

I'm going with the assimption He's got lot's of universes, with lots of Him in His image to deal with

As such, i suspect he's far to busy to read the instructions , probably has some interns or aids to tend to that

think 'In His Image' and 'Monica Lewinsky' a tad, and the entire screwed up universe as we know it starts to make sense.....~S~

Dusty Springfield - Son Of A Preacher Man (From "Live At The Royal Albert Hall") - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hthiLHVAMho
~S~

Except the bible is not the same as other tools, and he doesn't work through the bible as he works through other tools.

The Holy Spirit is actually IN the bible, and IN the words of the Bible.

Reading the Word, even as a non-believer, will bring a person into contact with the holy spirit. As the actual Word of God, it is not a "tool". It is the word of God.

No. And Now you're entering into a discussion on the Trinity.

The Holy Spirit isn't meant to reside in a book. It's meant to reside in your. The book merely directs us as to how we are to recognize that.

A tool to show us how to reach God, not God Himself.

Forum List

Back