Why 45 is better than 9mm

The venerable M1911 .45 was the basic military sidearm in WW1, WW2, and Korea after the old .38 revolver was found to be too anemic for combat use. The U.S. went to the (foreign made) 9mm to conform to NATO standards. Some elite police units still prefer the .45 over the 9mm

The venerable M1911 .45 was the basic military sidearm in WW1, WW2, and Korea after the old .38 revolver was found to be too anemic for combat use. The U.S. went to the (foreign made) 9mm to conform to NATO standards. Some elite police units still prefer the .45 over the 9mm
Yes. However both the M9 and current Sig 320 are US manufactured. They are substantially more accurate than the Government Model 1911s.

So you dont know what a FUDD is.
A FUDD is an old fart that shoot 1911s, bolt action or M14 rifles, and thinks the 2nd Amendment is about hunting. They also typically are about 900 years old.

9mm is the superior cartridge. it's the world's most popular caliber.

It's better than .45 for many reasons.

9mm can have stagger stack magazines where a normal full frame 9mm pistol can have say 15 rounds plus one chambered so that's 16 rounds. .45 is 5 to 8 rounds because it's a single stack round.

9mm is also a on the average more accurate pistol, the further out you get the less accurate more .45s are. Unless you have some expensive pistol that's well weighted and has a double recoil spring like a heckler and Koch you're going to have inferior accuracy because 45s tend to be sloppy shooters, especially if your a smaller or skinnier person.

You can store more and carry more 9mm than .45.

9mm is cheaper, granted all ammo is expensive now but it's always less expensive than 45.

Winchester 50 rounds 45 acp target ammo is 32 bucks, on clearance.

Winchester 50 rounds target 9mm is 20 dollars, normal price.

45 also has less penetration than a 9mm does.

9mm has a greater muzzle velocity starting at 990fps while a .45 tops out around 830fps.

But really it all comes down to preference. I'm a civilian now and even in the military a 9mm was my side arm, anyone I pull a pistol on is going to be a civilian as well. 45 or 9mm doesn't matter because there is psychological damage just having a gun pointed at you, there is psychological damage just being shot at, and there is physical and psychological damage actually being shot. So if you shoot someone with a 9mm or a 45 the difference in the real world is little. Even a 22 shooting long rifle rounds will fuck someone up. It's less about what you shoot and more about just being able to get bullets on your target quickly and effectively.

It's like people that argue about hollow points. The real world results don't even matter compared to just hitting your target. The damage a hollow point will do compared to a fmj doesn't even really matter. Hitting your target is all that matters.

For some people a 9mm is easier to shoot that a .45. It's lighter and has less recoil, which makes it easier to reacquire and fire multiple rounds. Cheaper too.

Yes. However both the M9 and current Sig 320 are US manufactured. They are substantially more accurate than the Government Model 1911s.

A FUDD is an old fart that shoot 1911s, bolt action or M14 rifles, and thinks the 2nd Amendment is about hunting. They also typically are about 900 years old.

Yep...you dont know what a FUDD is.

As a good friend of mine (a USAF PJ) once said "handguns are weak, I don't expect any particular caliber to do any particular thing, I place the shot, assess the situation, and repeat as necessary".

As a good friend of mine (a USAF PJ) once said "handguns are weak, I don't expect any particular caliber to do any particular thing, I place the shot, assess the situation, and repeat as necessary".

I keep shooting until I'm outta bullets or the bad guys are all dead.

I tried my carry optic for the first time at a match. Not bad, but it was my new EDC. I am waiting on them to fix some things on my Legion and am looking forward to trying that puppy out, now that I can actually wear glasses that let me see the targets.

Why couldnt you wear glasses before?
I do. My shooting glasses were focused arm's length so I could see the fiber optic sights. With a red dot, you should focus on the target, not the sight, so I can wear long distance prescription.

I do. My shooting glasses were focused arm's length so I could see the fiber optic sights. With a red dot, you should focus on the target, not the sight, so I can wear long distance prescription.

I've had the Trijicon RMX on my FNX .45 Tactical for years.
On my Sig AR I have the Eotech with the flip over magnifier.
While I can shoot both without my glasses the red dot gets fuzzy and a lot bigger.
If I'm shooting the AR with the magnifier engaged it's clear as can be but once I flip it over it's fuzzy.
I hate wearing glasses when I shoot but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
The only thing I hate about the Trijicon is cleaning the pistol.
You cant take it off or you have to sight it back in but cleaning the slide is damn near impossible with all the worry about getting solvent on the sight which they specifically say not to do.

IMG_0646.jpeg

I've had the Trijicon RMX on my FNX .45 Tactical for years.
On my Sig AR I have the Eotech with the flip over magnifier.
While I can shoot both without my glasses the red dot gets fuzzy and a lot bigger.
If I'm shooting the AR with the magnifier engaged it's clear as can be but once I flip it over it's fuzzy.
I hate wearing glasses when I shoot but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
The only thing I hate about the Trijicon is cleaning the pistol.
You cant take it off or you have to sight it back in but cleaning the slide is damn near impossible with all the worry about getting solvent on the sight which they specifically say not to do.

View attachment 797025
Good choices!
I have Venoms for my M&P and Sig, because I am Da Poorz. I have to wear glasses else any individual light looks like a Christmas ornament of lights.

Good choices!
I have Venoms for my M&P and Sig, because I am Da Poorz. I have to wear glasses else any individual light looks like a Christmas ornament of lights.

Yeah I'm in the same boat when it comes to lights.
Although a full moon looks way better without my glasses. When I put em on it goes from a big glowing moon to a small dot in the sky.

Good choices!

Yeah...the Wife brought up the fact that my optics cost as much as the guns they sit on.
I told Her thats not true the pistol costs way more than the optic.
Then She brought up the AR and I had to admit to that one.

Forum List

Back