Why a liberal thinks Rick Santorum will be the next US President

Emir

Rookie
Mar 20, 2013
North America
When I first saw the headline I rolled my eyes, but as I read it I became horridly fascinated. The basis for the author's prediction is the seemingly predictable cycles in both party's presidential nominations, which would seem to indicate Santorum will win the Republican nomination and defeat whoever the Democrats nominate.

Make of it what you will.

Last edited:
When I first saw the headline I rolled my eyes, but as I read it I became horridly fascinated. The basis for the author's prediction is the the seemingly predictable cycles in both party's presidential nominations, which would seem to indicate Santorum will win the Republican nomination and defeat whoever the Democrats nominate.

First of all, I've met the guy and I don't think Santorum is capable.

Then you have to consider he lost a Senate re-election campaign by 18 points.

I can see a Republican taking the White House in 2016, but probably not Santorum. While he seems loved by the Republican base, the idea of a President Santorum scares the hell out of moderates.

We elect a President to lead the country, pass a budget, conduct foreign affairs, etc. The excessive attention to Santorum's religious principles is not a characteristic of leadership.

When I first saw the headline I rolled my eyes, but as I read it I became horridly fascinated. The basis for the author's prediction is the the seemingly predictable cycles in both party's presidential nominations, which would seem to indicate Santorum will win the Republican nomination and defeat whoever the Democrats nominate.

I also met him. When I was younger I worked for a conservative group that held a fundraiser for him in D.C. I was a young volunteer thrilled to meet a senator who supported the cause I was there for. He was a complete ass to us. I've hated him ever sense.

Stranger things have happened, but I doubt this one will pan out. I'm not sure most of us even know the person who might eventually be nominated by name. How many outside of political circles knew Maobamas name 3 years before he was nominated?

Stranger things have happened, but I doubt this one will pan out. I'm not sure most of us even know the person who might eventually be nominated by name. How many outside of political circles knew Maobamas name 3 years before he was nominated?

The first time I heard of Obama was when he gave the keynote speech at the DNC in 2004. I knew at that moment that they would probably run him for the nomination in 2008 if Kerry lost.

After running two weak candidates in a row the Republicans need somebody stronger next time. In his own state Santorum narrowly won two Senate elections, and lost the third my a large margin. That doesn't exactly scream "strong candidate".

Santorum has waaaaay too much baggage. The only way Santorum could ever possibly be president is if Republicans were successful with their various vote-rigging schemes.

Meh, not so much. He lost against a very conservative Democratic opponent in a year when having an R behind your name was a death sentence.

Mitt Romney didn't even TRY to run for re-election in 2006.

If Santorum could unite the religious and TEA party wings of the GOP, he could get the nomination.

As for winning in the general, that would depend entirely on economic conditions.

I do think the next GOP nominee needs to be someone like Santorum- someone from a working class background who doesn't say dumb shit like "I'm not concerned about the very poor" and "I like to be able to fire people".

Meh, not so much. He lost against a very conservative Democratic opponent in a year when having an R behind your name was a death sentence.

Mitt Romney didn't even TRY to run for re-election in 2006.

If Santorum could unite the religious and TEA party wings of the GOP, he could get the nomination.

As for winning in the general, that would depend entirely on economic conditions.

I do think the next GOP nominee needs to be someone like Santorum- someone from a working class background who doesn't say dumb shit like "I'm not concerned about the very poor" and "I like to be able to fire people".

Just to "unspin" the spin you seem to want to regurgitate....

When he said he was not concerned about the very poor, he was in a conversation about how the "safety nets" for the very poor are solidly in place and do not need adjustments. He was agreeing that the very poor are taken care of, but it is the middle class who are struggling for they have lower incomes but their existing cost of living was higher. Only those that LOOK for spin would simply take it as him saying he does not care about the very poor.

When he said he likes to fire people, he was in a discussion about people who provide a service who sometiomes allow their greed or their laziness get the better of them thus affecting their service to the client...and how he would not hesitate to fire a service company if a service were sub par. Such is a basic prinicple for success as a business owner and success as a head of household. Only those that LOOK for spin would simply take it as him saying he likes to fire people.

I find it sad that you have trouble focusing on the topic of a conversation, thus putting you in a position to take things said out of context. It must make life very difficult for you.

When he said he was not concerned about the very poor, he was in a conversation about how the "safety nets" for the very poor are solidly in place and do not need adjustments. He was agreeing that the very poor are taken care of, but it is the middle class who are struggling for they have lower incomes but their existing cost of living was higher. Only those that LOOK for spin would simply take it as him saying he does not care about the very poor.

No, I think it shows Romney telling us who he really was. You combine his comments about "I don't care about the very poor" combined with his "47%" comments, you see a guy who has nothing but contempt for those in the lowest tax brackets.

When he said he likes to fire people, he was in a discussion about people who provide a service who sometiomes allow their greed or their laziness get the better of them thus affecting their service to the client...and how he would not hesitate to fire a service company if a service were sub par. Such is a basic prinicple for success as a business owner and success as a head of household. Only those that LOOK for spin would simply take it as him saying he likes to fire people.

I think his attitude tells us a lot more about his personality than the 'context". He's a rich guy. he used to being able to push people around. So his solution to an insurance company not giving him good service is to bully them, an option most of us just don't have. I'd LOVE to be able to fire my current insurance company. I'm not in a position to do so. Neither are most of us.

This man has never gotten dirt under his fingernails or had to wait in line for something in his entire life, and it shows.

I find it sad that you have trouble focusing on the topic of a conversation, thus putting you in a position to take things said out of context. It must make life very difficult for you.

Not at all. I'm completely focused. The GOP just published a 100 page document saying pretty much what I'm saying in more verbose terms. The GOP has a SERIOUS image problem. Guys like Romney are a large part of that problem.

No, I think it shows Romney telling us who he really was. You combine his comments about "I don't care about the very poor" combined with his "47%" comments, you see a guy who has nothing but contempt for those in the lowest tax brackets.

I think his attitude tells us a lot more about his personality than the 'context". He's a rich guy. he used to being able to push people around. So his solution to an insurance company not giving him good service is to bully them, an option most of us just don't have. I'd LOVE to be able to fire my current insurance company. I'm not in a position to do so. Neither are most of us.

This man has never gotten dirt under his fingernails or had to wait in line for something in his entire life, and it shows.

Not at all. I'm completely focused. The GOP just published a 100 page document saying pretty much what I'm saying in more verbose terms. The GOP has a SERIOUS image problem. Guys like Romney are a large part of that problem.

Got it. I know where you come from. No need to discuss this further.

Y'all probably would have said the same thing about Dick Nixon in 1960. Yet, eight years later, there he was!

So the author thinks Santorum is the next GOP nominee? Being from Pennsylvania I am familiar with Santorum and have met him on several occasions. He does carried away at times, but I found him okay generally.

I do not think however he wil be the nominee in 2016. Rubio might be, perhaps someone else. I don't think the party will go with a Bush for a 3rd time after what happened with the first two.

Not a chance. The biggest problem that the republicans face is religious zealotry. It is what is placing them on the losing side of things like drug laws, gay legislation and other laws that are restrictive of people’s rights. Face it, times are changing and people are not interested in the religious zealotry anymore. The republicans realize this and want to change it. It is just difficult when there is such a large section within the party pulling it in that direction.

If he wants to be the primary, Republican throw-away candidate, in 2016, that'll be fine.

He, McCain, Romney....and, even Bob Dole....could start their own, lil' club!!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....what to call them?????

:eusa_think:

Forum List

Back