Why a liberal thinks Rick Santorum will be the next US President

Y'all probably would have said the same thing about Dick Nixon in 1960. Yet, eight years later, there he was!

Not sure if that was a comparison. Nixon had stature by virtue of having been Vice-President. Also he could make the valid argument he had been cheated of the Presidency in 1960 by virtue of Dick Daley and election fraud.

When I first saw the headline I rolled my eyes, but as I read it I became horridly fascinated. The basis for the author's prediction is the the seemingly predictable cycles in both party's presidential nominations, which would seem to indicate Santorum will win the Republican nomination and defeat whoever the Democrats nominate.

Make of it what you will.

First of all, I've met the guy and I don't think Santorum is capable.

Then you have to consider he lost a Senate re-election campaign by 18 points.

Meh, not so much. He lost against a very conservative Democratic opponent in a year when having an R behind your name was a death sentence.

Mitt Romney didn't even TRY to run for re-election in 2006.

If Santorum could unite the religious and TEA party wings of the GOP, he could get the nomination.

As for winning in the general, that would depend entirely on economic conditions.

I do think the next GOP nominee needs to be someone like Santorum- someone from a working class background who doesn't say dumb shit like "I'm not concerned about the very poor" and "I like to be able to fire people".

Yeah, he does have a working class background. He has said some pretty stupid things though, such as comparing homosexuals to "man on dog", being against contraception, and saying college education is for snobs. I really doubt Rick Sanitarium is going to be the Republican nominee let alone the President.

Santorum could very possibly be the nominee. But a majority of Americans are female, so the plausibility of him being president is pretty unlikely

If the Democrats can't put out a decent candidate, there is something the matter.

[

Yeah, he does have a working class background. He has said some pretty stupid things though, such as comparing homosexuals to "man on dog", being against contraception, and saying college education is for snobs. I really doubt Rick Sanitarium is going to be the Republican nominee let alone the President.

I think you have too much faith in the electorate and their attention span.

If you had said to me in 1993, "Not only will people think well of George H. Bush in 7 years, but his son will get elected AND have a 93 approval rating!" I'd have looked at you like you were crazy.

Fact is, none of the supposedly obnoxious things Rick has said really are that important. If the economy is still in the shitter in 2016 and he's connecting with working folks, he'll win.

Santorum could very possibly be the nominee. But a majority of Americans are female, so the plausibility of him being president is pretty unlikely

If the Democrats can't put out a decent candidate, there is something the matter.

I don't think it's a matter of a "decent candidate".

By all logic, Gore should have won decisively in 2000. Good economy. Peace. Yet the only reason why Gore got close was because Bush was kind of stupid AND he had an October Surprise. (Revealed he lied about a DUI).

The biggest advantage the GOP will have in 2016 is that there is no obvious successor to Obama. Biden is kind of a joke and Hillary rubs people the wrong way and she has a vagina.

Forum List

Back