Why America can’t handle crises

Get money out of politics, simple. Elect progressives. Get every establishment democrat out of office and every single republican.

Electing progressives won't get money out of politics. They want even more government control of our wealth.

What "wealth" do you have, that they want so badly?

None of your fucking business?

But I wasn't referring to myself. The general desire of progressives is to grant government more control over picking winners and losers in the economy. Which attracts ever more collusion between the state and economic interests. That makes "money in politics" problem worse.

You know what that sounds like? A made up doomsday narrative from ppl like yourself, who fear the government is coming to take away all imaginary Bezos wealth they will one day finally accrue in their dreams.
I guess you hear what you want to hear. But that's not my concern at all. My concern is the same as yours. Collusion between business and government undermines free society.

But it's a two way street. The more government tries to control markets, the more the participants in those markets will try to control government. Most large businesses these days budget for lobbying government. It's a key part of their businesses strategy because it has to be. If they're not playing that game, they lose.

Progressives have all but promised not to take money from special interests and that seems to be holding true as more and more are elected into office. By very definition, it would eliminate money from politics altogether, at least, as long, as they are in control. How does that make "money in politics" worse?
Because, despite their promises, behavior is driven by incentives. If politicians can make or break a business by passing a law, that business will do everything in its power to influence the politicians' decisions. Progressives want to expand the power of government to regulate business. If we want money out of politics, we need to do the opposite. We need to strictly and consistently limit the power of government to meddle with markets.

How does rolling back tax cuts for the super wealthy enable "more money in politics"?

Because it gives wealthy people more incentive to back, and fund, candidates who will oppose the rollback. Even if those candidates are despicable people otherwise.
Government cannot sit in isolation from the market because what happens in the "free market" has a deep impact on society. If the wages that you pay are so shit you cant support yourself then the government steps in to make up the difference.

How is that fair to the tax payer ?

Government cannot sit in isolation from the market because what happens in the "free market" has a deep impact on society.
The same can be said, and was said, about religion. It was a powerful force that had a deep impact on society, and ambitious politicians were jealous of that power. But we decided, correctly in my view, that combining religious and state power put too much power in too few hands and coerced people in a way that wasn't justified. Further, combining conflicting interests made corruption inevitable. These exact same dynamics are at play when we try to co-opt economic power with the state. We should reject it for the same reasons.

Government cannot sit in isolation from the market because what happens in the "free market" has a deep impact on society.
The same can be said, and was said, about religion. It was a powerful force that had a deep impact on society, and ambitious politicians were jealous of that power. But we decided, correctly in my view, that combining religious and state power put too much power in too few hands and coerced people in a way that wasn't justified. Further, combining conflicting interests made corruption inevitable. These exact same dynamics are at play when we try to co-opt economic power with the state. We should reject it for the same reasons.
But the economy should work for the "people". When it doesnt the people see their arse and start rioting. The people get crushed by the large corporations and the government is the only entity to protect us from that. I cannot see an alternative. Who will stop corporations poisoning our rivers or building unsafe houses ? Who will protect our environment and ensure we have clean air ?

But the economy should work for the "people". When it doesnt the people see their arse and start rioting. The people get crushed by the large corporations and the government is the only entity to protect us from that. I cannot see an alternative.

Yep. All the same arguments were used to justify the state taking over religion:

"But the economy religion should work for the "people". When it doesnt the people see their arse and start rioting. The people get crushed by the large corporations churches and the government is the only entity to protect us from that. I cannot see an alternative.

Who will stop corporations poisoning our rivers or building unsafe houses ? Who will protect our environment and ensure we have clean air ?

Government has a role to play. It should police corporations, just as it does the rest of us. They should be held accountable for pollution, fraud, negligence etc... but that's an entirely different concern than making sure the economy works "for the people".

Why don't lefties appreciate the fact that they live in the greatest country in the world, the only country with guaranteed listed freedoms? Guys like Shaq O'Neill came out of nowhere and he is worth more than some countries, about 400 million by peddling junk on T.V. Not only can the U.S. handle a crisis but we sacrificed our best and bravest to handle the world's crisis in the mid 20th century. The best advise is to tune out the media's political based propaganda and read the Constitution and the history books..

But the economy should work for the "people". When it doesnt the people see their arse and start rioting. The people get crushed by the large corporations and the government is the only entity to protect us from that. I cannot see an alternative.

Yep. All the same arguments were used to justify the state taking over religion:

"But the economy religion should work for the "people". When it doesnt the people see their arse and start rioting. The people get crushed by the large corporations churches and the government is the only entity to protect us from that. I cannot see an alternative.

Who will stop corporations poisoning our rivers or building unsafe houses ? Who will protect our environment and ensure we have clean air ?

Government has a role to play. It should police corporations, just as it does the rest of us. They should be held accountable for pollution, fraud, negligence etc... but that's an entirely different concern than making sure the economy works "for the people".
It isnt a different concern,its a part of that concern.

It isnt a different concern,its a part of that concern.
And I disagree. Preventing a corporation, or anyone really, from violating the rights of others is different that simply dictating to the market in the name of majority rule.

Get money out of politics, simple. Elect progressives. Get every establishment democrat out of office and every single republican.

Electing progressives won't get money out of politics. They want even more government control of our wealth.

But I wasn't referring to myself. The general desire of progressives is to grant government more control over picking winners and losers in the economy. Which attracts ever more collusion between the state and economic interests. That makes "money in politics" problem worse.

You know what that sounds like? A made up doomsday narrative from ppl like yourself, who fear the government is coming to take away all imaginary Bezos wealth they will one day finally accrue in their dreams.
I guess you hear what you want to hear. But that's not my concern at all. My concern is the same as yours. Collusion between business and government undermines free society.

But it's a two way street. The more government tries to control markets, the more the participants in those markets will try to control government. Most large businesses these days budget for lobbying government. It's a key part of their businesses strategy because it has to be. If they're not playing that game, they lose.

Progressives have all but promised not to take money from special interests and that seems to be holding true as more and more are elected into office. By very definition, it would eliminate money from politics altogether, at least, as long, as they are in control. How does that make "money in politics" worse?
Because, despite their promises, behavior is driven by incentives. If politicians can make or break a business by passing a law, that business will do everything in its power to influence the politicians' decisions. Progressives want to expand the power of government to regulate business. If we want money out of politics, we need to do the opposite. We need to strictly and consistently limit the power of government to meddle with markets.

How does rolling back tax cuts for the super wealthy enable "more money in politics"?

Because it gives wealthy people more incentive to back, and fund, candidates who will oppose the rollback. Even if those candidates are despicable people otherwise.

It seems like you're arguing that the US would be better off repeating the mistakes of the 2008 housing crisis, which was caused by the very thing you're advocating for, financial deregulation of businesses, which caused one of the worst recessions in US history. Do you want food and drug safety deregulated too? What about air and water quality deregulation?

Government cannot sit in isolation from the market because what happens in the "free market" has a deep impact on society. If the wages that you pay are so shit you cant support yourself then the government steps in to make up the difference.

How is that fair to the tax payer ?

The great city of india is heavily deregulated and they're doing wonderful. Yeah, it's hard to breathe the air and the water is poison, but who needs to live that long anyway!

What are YOUR thoughts of the video, OP?
That the video is absolutely correct and we have a lot of work to do in America to get the country where it needs to be.

It's overrun by the hard rightwing in both parties. One is rightwing, the other one is extremely radical rightwing.

Lot's of work to do.

What are YOUR thoughts of the video, OP?
That the video is absolutely correct and we have a lot of work to do in America to get the country where it needs to be.

It's overrun by the hard rightwing in both parties. One is rightwing, the other one is extremely radical rightwing.

Lot's of work to do.
Why didn't you say that initially?

This video essay captures the root of America's biggest problem w/addressing crises...

What's your take after watching the video and how do we begin to address resolving these issues?

"Crisis mismanagement."....

Yet you're exactly the kind of stupid asshole who demands that the mismanagers (as long as they're on your team) keep getting more money and power to keep mismanaging.

Fuck you....Right up the ass with a red hot poker.

So you have no solutions or ideas, you just want to be a dick. Typical.

This video essay captures the root of America's biggest problem w/addressing crises...

What's your take after watching the video and how do we begin to address resolving these issues?

"Crisis mismanagement."....

Yet you're exactly the kind of stupid asshole who demands that the mismanagers (as long as they're on your team) keep getting more money and power to keep mismanaging.

Fuck you....Right up the ass with a red hot poker.

So you have no solutions or ideas, you just want to be a dick. Typical.

I have a solution....MYOB and quit pretending that your holy politicians, bureaucrats, and technocrats are the ones bet suited ho handle every alleged "crisis".

People can work things out, so back the fuck off, do-gooder.

Forum List

Back