Why are rural Americans more likely to be ignorant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
Take a look at this guy!
BdZ7cCf.jpg

NSOGhlg.jpg

Is he mocking geek culture? Why are rural people more likely to be ignorant?

How would rural and suburban average people react if a good looking athletic person who plays DnD moved in next door?

What would think they about a young good looking athletic person who wants to join the military who likes space marines and Captain America movies?

Why do some people think being attractive and athletic excludes one from liking fantasy?

How would this guy feel if this guy moved next door to him?

As a member of a military family, and coming from communities where gaming was incubated in the first place, I don't think may people around them think anything of DnD stuff, actually, at least they didn't used to. There were stores devoted to sand tables and miniatures , and regular clubs, and game companies published board games, like Blitzkrieg, Gettysburg, and Arab-Israeli Wars, the latter two my personal favorites as a teenager. They also hit college bookstores and nearby shops about the same time mid-1960's-1970's. The 'art' majors seem to go for the DnD stuff more than most other gamers did in colleges, while around the military bases there was more cross-over. I could afford a regiment of 25 mm Napoleonic miniatures, so I got invited to the sand tables all the time, but we would occasionally take breaks and sit in with the DnD geeks. In those days, they were actually pretty raunchy and funny, though, not 'serious bizness' like the crazed obsessives of later years. I steered my my kids away from the role playing stuff and into the Waterloo and D-Day type games. Not that we ever had much time for that, as we liked being outdoors a lot.

As for 'rural people', I seriously doubt they're any more ignorant than those dazzling waves of urbanites I see winning Darwin Awards on the news all day, they are just more open and have a different culture they live in. Put on your 'Princess Leah' Star wars costume and walk around Compton at 3 a.m. and get back to us on what happens.

Last edited:
This thread is just sad. What a pathetic cry for affirmation.

Education and critical thinking and objectivity always comes over ignorance every time.

Why are rural Americans more likely to be ignorant?

Don't know much about big city

Don't know much sociology

Don't know much about vouge looks

Don't know much about their fancy cooks

But I do know when i read some clown

And If you won't get pushed around

What a wonderful thread this would be

w/apologies to Sam Cooke

~S~

Rural communities are more isolated but once you say that where do you go next? I heard long ago they have more mental illness issues because they have less support or interaction with others? Could be but there are a lots of nuts in the city too. Poverty makes everyone kinda stupid as you lack so much. Read 'Deep South' by Paul Theroux sometime, he travels the back roads of the south, roads we have traveled often and talks about the people and how they are isolated from each other and the world. Another amazing read for the interested is 'White Trash'. When I read these books I have a sense the Civil war is not that far in the past. Faulkner was right.

'White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America' by Nancy Isenberg
White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg

'Deep South: Four Seasons on Back Roads' by Paul Theroux
Deep South: Four Seasons on Back Roads by Paul Theroux

"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." William Faulkner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back