Why did Evangelicals

Which evangelicals? There were millions of them spanning hundreds of doctrines, and they didn't all agree. :eusa_eh:

And at what point during Hitler's rise to power?

What evangelicals? This is kind of a broad question, isn't it? Color me confused.

What evangelicals? This is kind of a broad question, isn't it? Color me confused.
Most of German evangelicals supported Hitler. The few that didn't approved his treatment of Jews, commies, gypsies, etc.

Most of German evangelicals supported Hitler. The few that didn't approved his treatment of Jews, commies, gypsies, etc.

You're a tad confused and your question is open ended. When did the evangelicals support him and define evangelicals

This was all explained on that one Star Trek episode.......phhffft!

Anyway, religious institutions used to be far more affluent and influential in Europe priot to 1950, and it's nearly impossible to differentiate the well intended from the corrupt over the years.

I find the question amusing, but also not a very good use of "the Hitler card"

Support Hitler?
Belief in a single person with the ultimate, unquestionable truth. Also good and evil being absolute and obvious to the true believer. Hitler also used/supported Muslims against the Jews in the Middle East.

It is a problem God has. God gives favor and success to those who follow him. In understanding God one can see more and do more than those without that knowledge. But that is not good enough. People have to keep it from others. People use it to prey on others. People use it to their own ends. God wants all you people to knock it off!!! God did not give us what we have so we can abuse it so.

I don't think Lutherans are evangelicals. At least not in the American sense of the word. They are probably closer to Roman Catholicism than any other Protestant group.

Also, they had a bad habit of trying to assassinate Hitler during WWII. I don't think you could call that 'support'...:confused:

Ravi said:
Why did Evangelicals
Support Hitler?

What?

Der Schiffbrüchige

Hoffnung und Liebe! Alles zertrümmert!
Und ich selber, gleich einer Leiche,
Die grollend ausgeworfen das Meer,
Lieg ich am Strande,
Am öden, kahlen Strande,
Vor mir woget die Wasserwüste,
Hinter mir liegt nur Kummer und Elend,
Und über mich hin ziehen die Wolken,
Die formlos grauen Töchter der Luft,
Die aus dem Meer, in Nebeleimern,
Das Wasser schöpfen,
Und es mühsam schleppen und schleppen,
Und es wieder verschütten ins Meer,
Ein trübes, langweilges Geschäft,
Und nutzlos, wie mein eignes Leben.
Die Wogen murmeln, die Möwen schrillen,
Alte Erinnerungen wehen mich an,
Vergessene Träume, erloschene Bilder,
Qualvoll süße, tauchen hervor!
Es lebt ein Weib im Norden,
Ein schönes Weib, königlich schön.
Die schlanke Zypressengestalt
Umschließt ein lüstern weißes Gewand;
Die dunkle Lockenfülle,
Wie eine selige Nacht,
Von dem flechtengekrönten Haupte sich ergießend,
Ringelt sich träumerisch süß
Um das süße, blasse Antlitz;
Und aus dem süßen, blassen Antlitz,
Groß und gewaltig, strahlt ein Auge,
Wie eine schwarze Sonne.
O, du schwarze Sonne, wie oft,
Entzückend oft, trank ich aus dir
die wilden Begeistrungsflammen,
Und stand und taumelte, feuerberauscht -
Dann schwebte ein taubenmildes Lächeln
Um die hochgeschürzten, stolzen Lippen,
Und die hochgeschürzten, stolzen Lippen
Hauchten Worte, süß wie Mondlicht,
Und zart wie der Duft der Rose -
Und meine Seele erhob sich
Und flog, wie ein Aar, hinauf in den Himmel!
Schweigt, ihr Wogen und Möwen!
Vorüber ist Alles, Glück und Hoffnung,
Hoffnung und Liebe! Ich liege am Boden,
Ein öder, schiffbrüchiger Mann,
Und drücke mein glühendes Antlitz
In den feuchten Sand.

Heinrich Heine

Last edited:
This was all explained on that one Star Trek episode.......phhffft!

Anyway, religious institutions used to be far more affluent and influential in Europe priot to 1950, and it's nearly impossible to differentiate the well intended from the corrupt over the years.

I find the question amusing, but also not a very good use of "the Hitler card"
Why is it amusing?

It appears that you (with the help of Mr. Tuininga) have answered your own question far better than I ever could. ;)

But the "Deutsche Christen" were a Nazi-movement - a revolution, not a tradition. They eliminated the Old Testament. They said Jesus was a son of a german soldier in the roman army (=aryan). They liked to write a fifth gospel for the myth of an aryan Jesus in a bible and life without Jews. ... A main aspect for the Deutsche Christen was "die Reinhaltung der germanischen Rasse", the pureness of the germanic race. Pureness of a race is a biological darwinism what has nothing to do with the christian religion. ...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back