Why Do Folks Say, "Passed Away?"

Euphemisms can make things less awful, just a little easier to bare. Does it really harm us to cut each other some slack now and then? For instance, if I were to call Campbell a ninny rather than an arrogant prick, it is more polite. A euphemism is gentler. See what I mean?

My skin is anything but thin....."Fire Away!"
Good for you! Wait. You want it straight. Who gives a fuck?

It just sounds nicer.... it's hard for many people yes, and saying I'm sorry your <fill in the blank> has passed away sounds better than "sorry your <fill in the blank> died or is dead".....

"Passed away" is a softer term than "died." Those deeply grieving need the blow softened as much as possible. Other soft terms are "passed on," "was called home to Jesus," "went to the Other Side."

Yep! I knew that ridiculous "Jesus Shit" would come in. A 2000 year old fairy tale and it would be deader than a fritter if the continuous brainwashing of innocent, gullible children had been discontinued. That's the only thing which has caused that nonsense to still be a topic of conversation. You can teach a child anything. The cannibals taught their young that consuming human flesh and drinking their blood was a religious ritual for thousands of years......then the new church taught them that to eat a cracker and drink some wine amounted to the same thing. Much tidier when one thinks about it.
Yet you keep posting in the Religion and Ethics forum where you are likely to bump into "Jesus Shit". I'll skip the euphemism this time in calling you what you are: a self righteous loudmouth.

Self Righteous??? Brudder.....you're in the wrong ball park. I'm not righteous and I'm proud of it. I played dance band piano on weekends for thirty years and let me vouch for one old belief..."The Boys In The Band Get The Pretty Girls"

Uh huh, Brudder. Maybe you aren't familiar with the definition of self righteous. LOL Tell us again how old and experienced and smart you are!

"Passed away" is a softer term than "died." Those deeply grieving need the blow softened as much as possible. Other soft terms are "passed on," "was called home to Jesus," "went to the Other Side."

Yep! I knew that ridiculous "Jesus Shit" would come in. A 2000 year old fairy tale and it would be deader than a fritter if the continuous brainwashing of innocent, gullible children had been discontinued. That's the only thing which has caused that nonsense to still be a topic of conversation. You can teach a child anything. The cannibals taught their young that consuming human flesh and drinking their blood was a religious ritual for thousands of years......then the new church taught them that to eat a cracker and drink some wine amounted to the same thing. Much tidier when one thinks about it.
Yet you keep posting in the Religion and Ethics forum where you are likely to bump into "Jesus Shit". I'll skip the euphemism this time in calling you what you are: a self righteous loudmouth.

Self Righteous??? Brudder.....you're in the wrong ball park. I'm not righteous and I'm proud of it. I played dance band piano on weekends for thirty years and let me vouch for one old belief..."The Boys In The Band Get The Pretty Girls"

Uh huh, Brudder. Maybe you aren't familiar with the definition of self righteous. LOL Tell us again how old and experienced and smart you are!

I've made it to 81, retired on the lake for the last 22 years. My wife and I have anything we want and we've already traveled till we're tired of it. We love our german shepherd dog and we spend a lot of time on the water:

TreyBoat.jpg

I don't think it has anything of being 'afraid of death' but more to do with trying to be polite and respectful to the grieving person.

I don't think it has anything of being 'afraid of death' but more to do with trying to be polite and respectful to the grieving person.

This is nothing new.....people feared death and they dreamed up a way around it:

Religions....whether they believe in the soul's existence in another world like Christianity, Islam, and many pagan belief systems, or in reincarnation like many forms of Hinduism and Buddhism, believe that one's status in the afterlife is a reward or punishment for their conduct during life.

Can't you just see some old white haired, withered up asshole watching very move made by every one of the 7 billion people on the planet hoping they'll screw up so he can prepare them for a barbecue.....at which they will be the one barbecued?

Last edited:
Are they so afraid of death that they can't say somebody died?

We learn to use euphemism when we have to tell children that pets or grandparents have died. Then after a while, it just becomes a slightly less harsh way of announcing that someone has died.

It might even be considered kind of impolite to say, "didja hear that that Murray the Cop character Al whatshisname CROAKED?"

Passed Away

it's a slip of the tongue, Passing On would imply a future ....

if the deceased was a believer you could say went home......if an unbeliever its probably best not to say anything because "burning in hell" is not very pastoral.......

Remember when nobody "died"? They just "shuffled off this mortal coil!"

I once won a yo-yo at an undertaker's convention!
It goes down.....but it never comes up!

Black humor fixes everything.

Seriously...

It's not all black or white.

It's all about understanding your audience.

When consoling a friend or relative, soften it up for (insert your preferred Deity here)'s sake!

When doing stand-up comedy, be as brash as you need to be to get the laugh.

I want you guys to prop me up at a party with a beer clenched in my cold, dead fingers for at least 6 hours before you bury me ass-up and use me for a bike rack.

Once the software shuts down, the rest is just meat.

if the deceased was a believer you could say went home......if an unbeliever its probably best not to say anything because "burning in hell" is not very pastoral.......

That's the truth though.

If you are a Christian, and only you and God know if you are... If you are a Christian, part of living your faith is coming to grips with the fact that many of the people closest to you are headed for eternal damnation in a lake of fire.

Are they so afraid of death that they can't say somebody died?

How about, "Kicked the bucket"? Would that be OK with you?

Depends on context, Bro'.... Are you giving a eulogy or telling a knock-knock joke?

Actually that used to be a common saying. Someone would say. "Well, Old Joe kicked the bucket last night".

:eek-52: Last night?!?

Am I a ghost in the machinery? :eusa_eh:

:muahaha:

Forum List

Back