Why do Republicans keep calling "earned benefits" "entitlements"?

R

rdean

To me, corporations not paying any taxes or billionaires not paying taxes or oil companies getting subsidies are "entitlements".

The rest of us pay income taxes, taxes at the store, property taxes and payroll taxes. When we get benefits, they are "earned".

And considering that our taxes are the lowest in 60 years. At what point do Republicans come up with something besides "cut taxes" and "cut earned benefits"? Can you run a country without tax revenue? How much suffering is "just right"?

What are these subsidies in oil companies? Do you know how much they make on a gallon after everyone takes their cut? Do you understand the R and D side of the equation in reference to the petroleum industry?

What are these subsidies in oil companies? Do you know how much they make on a gallon after everyone takes their cut? Do you understand the R and D side of the equation in reference to the petroleum industry?

This little gem has been refuted so often I take it as a sign of partisan stupidity when people insist on repeating it.
There are no "subsidies"for the oil industry.
There are subsidies for "green" industries.
There are subsidies for ethanol.
There are subsidies for unions.

But not for oil companies.
In any case, RDean lies when he says he pays income tax. I doubt he's ever paid income tax in his life.

Stop giving corporations that employ thousands of people (who pay taxes) benefits and those corporations will quickly go somewhere that will happily provide those benefits.

To me, corporations not paying any taxes or billionaires not paying taxes or oil companies getting subsidies are "entitlements".

The rest of us pay income taxes, taxes at the store, property taxes and payroll taxes. When we get benefits, they are "earned".

And considering that our taxes are the lowest in 60 years. At what point do Republicans come up with something besides "cut taxes" and "cut earned benefits"? Can you run a country without tax revenue? How much suffering is "just right"?
How is welfare an entitlement? What did the recipient do to earn it?

How are Obamaphones an entitlement? What did the recipient do to earn it?

And no, "voting Democrat" is not a valid answer.

Quite funny. You are willing to hurt the corporations. But the reality is, the moment you do, you are also hurting the workers. You didn't think the corporation would just sit there and not pass on this negativity to their employees did you?

Shows how little you think things through.

Stop giving corporations that employ thousands of people (who pay taxes) benefits and those corporations will quickly go somewhere that will happily provide those benefits.
SEE: California, Illinois.

Because the word "entitlement" (which includes their own Federal Govt Health Care) is associated with black and hispanic "takers" and urban welfare.

They are able to inflate the number and horrify their white suburban/rural base.

Someone who has worked his ass off for 28 years and paid taxes his whole life has certainly earned it. Especially since the factory he worked at closed down and soon after he suffered a minor stroke which made him ineligible for health insurance (he's thanking God for the ACA) and unable to work. (Yes, I know someone like this.)

Same goes for a disabled vet who is unable to work (You'd probably call him a slacker and say "He's not MY problem".)

So yes. They damned well earned it.

Quite funny. You are willing to hurt the corporations. But the reality is, the moment you do, you are also hurting the workers. You didn't think the corporation would just sit there and not pass on this negativity to their employees did you?

Paying their fair share of taxes is part of the cost of doing business. If they can't do that then they're not much of a business.

Someone who has worked his ass off for 28 years and paid taxes his whole life has certainly earned it. Especially since the factory he worked at closed down and soon after he suffered a minor stroke which made him ineligible for health insurance (he's thanking God for the ACA) and unable to work. (Yes, I know someone like this.)

Same goes for a disabled vet who is unable to work (You'd probably call him a slacker and say "He's not MY problem".)

What makes you think I'm talking about either of the people, and those like them, that you post about?

The vast majority of conservatives have no opposition to a societal safety net, despite what progressives tell each other.

What we oppose is a hammock. Paying able-bodied people who can work but refuse to.

What have they done to deserve their entitlements?

Paying their fair share of taxes is part of the cost of doing business. If they can't do that then they're not much of a business.

Define "fair share".

Define "fair share".
Wait around for the Barychnikov impersonations from the Left because they cannot define "fair share".

Oh wait! To Liberals, "fair share" means rich people pay 100% of their income to big daddy government so the welfare leeches can live high on the hog.

They use the term "entitlement" to associate them with the sense of "a person feels entitled". In that context, it is refering to someone who expects something for nothing.

It is just the usual feeling association game that politics and advertising uses to attach a feeling to an object while still being able to claim that the term is technically correct. People are, after all, technically entitled to their benefits.

The real intent, though, is to associate it with the idea of someone on welfare feeling "entitled".

Last edited:

Define "fair share".
Wait around for the Barychnikov impersonations from the Left because they cannot define "fair share".

Oh wait! To Liberals, "fair share" means rich people pay 100% of their income to big daddy government so the welfare leeches can live high on the hog.
Some do indeed believe that.

The funny thing is, they could confiscate every single penny from "the rich", and it would only run their bloated government for just a matter of months:

Eat the Rich - Walter E. Williams - Page full
According to Forbes 400, America has 400 billionaires with a combined net worth of $1.3 trillion. Congress could confiscate their stocks and bonds, and force them to sell their businesses, yachts, airplanes, mansions and jewelry. The problem is that after fleecing the rich of their income and net worth, and the Fortune 500 corporations of their profits, it would only get us to mid-August. The fact of the matter is there are not enough rich people to come anywhere close to satisfying Congress' voracious spending appetite. They're going to have to go after the non-rich.​

No, we mean like this person
15 kids and somebody needs to pay for all my children, somebody needs to be held accountable |

And guess what? There are a hell of a lot more like her than like your examples.

What makes you think I'm talking about either of the people, and those like them, that you post about?

(The fact that you failed to qualify your "How is welfare an entitlement? What did the recipient do to earn it?" statement. And the fact that rarely does any Neo-Con on this board ever say anything about welfare other than eliminating it. Think I'm wrong? Do a search where any of you make a statement in support of welfare)

The vast majority of conservatives have no opposition to a societal safety net, despite what progressives tell each other.

(Really? Prove it.)

What we oppose is a hammock. Paying able-bodied people who can work but refuse to.

(As do we.)

What have they done to deserve their entitlements?

Again with the "they". :eusa_eh:

The vast majority of "they" are folks that have worked and been through any one of a number of tragedies. "They" do not want to be on welfare anymore than we want them on welfare. "They" have faces, names and real life stories of why "they" ended up at such a low point in their lives. "They" are not the "welfare queens" that Reagan so famously ridiculed. Oh I agree that there is a very small segment of welfare recipients that could fit that description but "they" are few and far between.

No, we mean like this person
15 kids and somebody needs to pay for all my children, somebody needs to be held accountable |

And guess what? There are a hell of a lot more like her than like your examples.

You're trying to say that people like her outnumber legitimate cases? Bullshit.

Prove it.

The term "entitlement" refers to benefits that a person doesn't HAVE to EARN, but can receive if he or she meets certain criteria. It's a guaranteed benefit for a certain population..it has zero to do with earning. You just have to be a certain type of person, and you are given the entitlement.

Medicaid, tanf and SSI are all ENTITLEMENT programs. They are Title IV:

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/ssact/title04/0400.htm

Unemployment comes under Title IX, and I can't remember which title is ssd/ssi....????

Last edited:

Because the word "entitlement" (which includes their own Federal Govt Health Care) is associated with black and hispanic "takers" and urban welfare.

They are able to inflate the number and horrify their white suburban/rural base.

you mean ALL Republicans get Federal Health Care?....well no wonder they dont want Obama Care.....

Forum List

Back