Why does Race Matter On The Census Count? Is This An Appropriate Question?

Holly (IDS)

Rookie
Dec 3, 2014
Hi, my name is Holly and I'm doing a school project on what I've learned in my class and I need your help!!! PLEASE keep ALL your responses and comments clean and educated so I can turn your feedback into my professor.
What are your opinions on the questions the census form asks? Why does it matter and why does the government ask a question about Hispanic origin and then the very next question is about are race and they expect you to answer both?

No. If everyone is supposed to be treated exactly the same it matters not to which race they belong

The Constitution states that a Census is only used to determine Representation. SO Race isn't needed or called for.

The Constitution states that a Census is only used to determine Representation. SO Race isn't needed or called for.

Race has always been measured due to representation. The first census included white males over 16, whites males under 16, white females, other free persons, and slaves. Only one of those demograhics was represented.

Today we measure demographics to monitor compliance of the Voter Rights Act, EOE, and other programs that ensure everybody is equally represented.

Hi, my name is Holly and I'm doing a school project on what I've learned in my class and I need your help!!! PLEASE keep ALL your responses and comments clean and educated so I can turn your feedback into my professor.
What are your opinions on the questions the census form asks? Why does it matter and why does the government ask a question about Hispanic origin and then the very next question is about are race and they expect you to answer both?
Why are you spamming the forum?

Factorials

If race is important enough to discuss social coordination issues such as the integration of African-American baseball players such as Jackie Robinson into the MLB, then it must be considered in discussions about demographics and the census.

:arrow:

42 film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

42poster.jpg

The Constitutional Census and the Voters Rights Act are two different things.

Nobody said they were the same thing. I only pointed out the connection between the two. Surely you see the connection between voters rights and measuring representation. :doubt:

The census asks about race because having that information is better than not having it.

The reason the "Hispanic" and "Race" questions are separate is because "Hispanic" isn't a race.

Census is done for Government Representation of ALL PEOPLE.

I understand that YOU want people counted as separate Racial Groups. Do you understand that I want ALL people counted REGARDLESS of their racial identity?

I find the entire situation ridiculous. Science argues the biological concept of race is dubious at best. I don't see how the Government or anyone else can have it both ways.

Either racial distinctions are scientifically valid and reasonable or they are not. So to my liberal friends.....which is it?

70% of those folks who self-identify as black in America have significant percentages of other races. About 30% of whites have significant mixed racial background. I have not seen data for Latinos but I am sure it is quite high also. So again....what really is race?

I find even asking the question in 2014 to be offensive. Enough already.

I understand that YOU want people counted as separate Racial Groups. Do you understand that I want ALL people counted REGARDLESS of their racial identity?

Counting "ALL" people, and measuring the racial demographics are not mutually exclusive.

Counting "ALL" people, and measuring the racial demographics are not mutually exclusive.

Is the concept of race scientifically valid in your opinion?

Quick Quiz: What does the Census call for?

1. Count all Brown People.
2 .Count all Women.
3. Count all Yellow Men.
4. Count all People.
5. Blame Bush.
6. The Jews!

You understand that all races haven't always been equally represented?

Also, you were the one who mentioned the Constitutional Census. Why has race been a question since the very first census in 1790?

If the law calls for doing "A" but you also include doing "B", "C" and "D" without saying it's optional or worse, by Color of Law, then you've really overstepped your bounds.

Forum List

Back