Why don't people watch films?

I like the old films as well but having them interrupted by advertising every 10-12 minutes ruins the rhythm of the story. I've turned to binge-watching whole series...this adds to the continuity of the story without having to wait for the next season. Of course the old B&W movie, film noir, Orson Welles using shadows for effect was interesting...it was a different world then. I always thought Ted Turner should have been hanged for "colorizing" classic films but then again, having been married to Hanoi Jane is likely punishment enough.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

"The Blue Dahlia" made in 1946 with Alad Ladd, Veronica Lake, William Bendix and Howard Da Silva and directed by George Marshall....screenplay written by Raymond Chandler.

The Blue Dahlia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the original trailer:

Great movie

Need to watch it again.

Bendix had a steel plate in his head, right?

I like the old films as well but having them interrupted by advertising every 10-12 minutes ruins the rhythm of the story. I've turned to binge-watching whole series...this adds to the continuity of the story without having to wait for the next season. Of course the old B&W movie, film noir, Orson Welles using shadows for effect was interesting...it was a different world then. I always thought Ted Turner should have been hanged for "colorizing" classic films but then again, having been married to Hanoi Jane is likely punishment enough.

I rarely watch films on television channels that have advertisements, the same reason as you, the constant interruptions are very annoying.

The whole colorising of black and white films, something extremely offensive, thankfully it didn't become a trend, so only a portion were colorised.

I love Orson Welles also.

First were 'picture' shows, which were basically a slide show.

Next came Nickelodeons ,

Then moving pictures, which soon became shortened to movies

One of my favourite Orson Welles films is "The Lady From Shanghai" made in 1947 with Orson Welles, Rita Hayworth, Everett Sloane and Ted de Corsia and written and directed by Welles.

When this film was being shot, Welles and Hayworth were in the middle of their real-life divorce....Hayworth appears in this film, with her long red hair cut short and bleached Platinum Blonde.

The film all-round is pretty vicious, it's also a complete masterpiece IMHO.

The Lady from Shanghai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

"Bunny Lake Is Missing" made in 1965, with Laurence Olivier, Noël Coward, Lucie Mannheim, Martita Hunt, Keir Dullea and Carol Lynley and directed by Otto Preminger....this is a fantastic film.

Bunny Lake Is Missing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the original trailer, narrated by Otto Preminger, he also appears himself in the trailer:

These flicks didn't have computerized "special effects" to count on....they stood or fell on the talent of the actors along with the occasional camera trick. That's what makes them priceless treasures. Most of the actors learned their chops on the stage.....I watch for what the characters not speaking are doing; how involved in the story they are...their expressions and body language. And of course, most of the actresses in the 30's and 40's didn't wear brassieres. :eusa_angel:

My guilty pleasure the last couple of weeks: Allan "Rocky" Lane horse operas available through Amazon Prime.
It's amusing that probably his most famous role is one that absolutely nobody saw him play.

allanrockylane.jpg

and only 3 people showed up at his funeral, One being long time costar Emmett Lynn.

and yes, I know he was the voice of Mr Ed

and only 3 people showed up at his funeral, One being long time costar Emmett Lynn.

"The Spiral Staircase" made in 1946 with George Brent, Ethel Barrymore, Elsa Lanchester, Kent Smith, Rhonda Fleming and Dorothy McGuire and directed by Robert Siodmak.

This is an exceptionally brilliant and atmospheric film, also I think it's one of Ethel Barrymore's greatest performances as the bed-ridden Mrs. Warren. Dorothy McGuire plays the mute Helen, who lives-in as a companion for Mrs. Warren....an amazing performance from McGuire who doesn't say a word obviously throughout the entire film.

The Spiral Staircase (1946 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"and yes, I know he was the voice of Mr Ed"

You mean that horse wasn't talking? I always thought it WAS the horse....now it's all been ruined, next you'll tell me that Santa Claus isn't real :crybaby:Well he IS....and that horse WAS doing the talking :smoke:

Forum List

Back