🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why don't people watch films?

The man in this video might be Texan I think, but this video shows why I like American Southerners :smile:

Edited to add comment.

Nope. Hickok45. He lives in Tennessee, and is a retired school teacher - English as I believe. He has one son - John, whom is his videographer in the videos.

He is a Glock and a Smith&Wesson revolver fan. I watch his videos frequently, and I keep up with is channel.

Shadow 355

My family always favour Glock.............

I also add the Glock 26..........

I favor my full sized Glock 17.

17 rounds of firepower, I can hit targets with it out to 80 and 100 yards. It is reliable, and can match just about any offensive weapon......except for full auto firearms.

I do EMS ( I'm a Paramedic ) - Fire - Hazardous Material - and Security for a Department of Defense contractor. There is about, about 1000 employees where I work. So if I need a firearm to match......or go up against a shotgun, semi-auto rifle or pistol - sniper rifle ; I have a Glock 17.

To defend....you have to match.....or exceed the weapons you are going against. They don't teach civilians that, you get that in Security Training in the Military. Well I don't know about the Marines and Air Force.....But they taught us that in the U.S. Army :) ;)

An example is the North Hollywood shooting in California ; In February 1997.

The Los Angeles ( California ) Police Department ( "LAPD" ) against two armed bank robbers. The bank robbers were wearing body armor / bullet proof vest and carrying AK-47s. The Police Officers had 9mm handguns and .38 revolvers with 12 Gauge Shotgun. Not known till after the shootout...one perpetrator was Romanian.....So that ought to tell you something ( attitude - demeanor and temperament ).

The Police Officers were terribly outgunned. So outgunned, they went into gun stores and pawn shops to retrieve assault rifles, as the bank robbers were slaughtering the Police Officers whole sale. After the event, the LAPD added assault rifles to their police cruisers that they did not have before For almost 45 minutes - bank robbers slaughtered the LAPD. The North Hollywood shooting caused Law Enforcement nationwide to take notice, upgrade firearms and make procedural changes.

Lessons were not learned from the 1986 Miami shoot out either ; in which FBI Agents ( Federal Bureau of Investigation ) were gunned down in Miami, Florida. The FBI Agents also.....were gunned down due to being inadequately armed. The eight FBI Agents were terribly outgunned - and although the bank robbers ( Ex-Military ; Army "Ranger") the FBI suffered deaths on scene and a serious set back. However a tragedy...... I also believe there was procedural violations on the FBI, But I will not comment.

So..........you have to have the firepower to match what you are dealing with. Range and power. I am looking at a Sig Sauer P229 as my next gun, and quite possibly a Walther - in .40 caliber. I would like to have an H&K Compact handgun.......but we will see ; I am still studying.

You can carry a .22 revolve for self defense. But it is no match for a 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun, high capacity handgun, or a semi or fully auto assault rifle.

North Hollywood shootout :
North Hollywood shootout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1986 FBI Shooting :
North Hollywood shootout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Youtube Documentary - North Hollywood shootout :

North Hollywood shooting - Actual Video

Bad events don't get broadcasted in the newspaper a day before. Bad events happen.......when you least expect them.

Shadow 355

I also add the Glock 26, which I also have...... :smile:

Edited to add comment.

Is ammo hard to get in Europe?

Is ammo expensive in your area?

Shadow 355

We have different laws on guns and ammo than other nations in Europa, so I can't tell you about this except for my nation, Germany and Switzerland and also Croatia and Serbia I could tell you.

We have different gun laws to Germany, roughly 5.5 million Germans have guns, but they have all manner of restrictions on them. We don't.

We have three categories, A, B and C. It's very difficult to be granted permission for Category A, they usually for police, security staff, diplomatic staff etc.

With Category B, all you need to to have is a permit called a Waffenbesitzkarte, which is a Weapons Ownership Card, they look like this:

800px-Waffenbesitzkarte1.png

Anyone from age 21 can apply to get this, you can get this if you shoot for sport or you want to go hunting etc. If you say it's PURELY for self-defence, you probably won't get accepted, so many say they would like to start going hunting, and this is easiest way to get the Waffenbesitzkarte. To get this also you must pass a psychological exam from a doctor of the local police choosing, of course to make sure people with mental health issues don't get a gun....we have no problem with this, we think it's sensible, if you fail the psychological exam, of course you won't get the permit.

So if you pass that exam, they then have to make sure you have a secure place to store your weapon, this usually a small safe or some other secure lockable box is okay.

We, unlike in Germany have no requirement to store ammunition and guns in different secure places AND also unloaded and no safe place standard is required. A security check-up is repeated all 5 years.

Yes in Germany they by law, must store the gun in one location and the ammo in another location, they cannot store a loaded and locked gun in the same location....how RIDICULOUS is THIS?

Once all of the above is agreed, you can then purchase a Category B gun...Category B guns are handguns and semi automatic weapons.

Category C guns are the easiest for the majority of people to get, because it's all pretty vague and somewhat liberal in that you don't need any permit.

Category C guns these are all long guns - rifles, shotguns.

These are legal to own for anyone over 18, only basic background check must be passed. Storage must be secured, in a single person environment no special storage is needed, the storage not verified by the police as with Category B. There is three day waiting period for background check - unless the buyer has a Category B permit or a hunting licence, this does not apply to private sales.

Handgun ammunition and also some specific rifle ammunition requires the Category B permit or a hunting licence to buy in store, private sale is legal between two permit holders only - so say I want 20,000 rounds and a friend of mine also has a Category B permit, I can just buy the ammo off them, we don't have to tell ANYONE we've done this deal between ourselves. However if I wanted to buy 20,000 rounds in store, this would first have to be checked with local police.

The cost of ammo varies, I find this usually between 25 Euros to 50 Euros, which is pretty good.

To carry gun you need a Waffenpass, this is a weapons permit certificate, if you want to carry gun around outside of your home, you need the Waffenpass, if you already have a Waffenbesitzkarte, you should already also have the Waffenpass.

I hope this explains a bit more about situation with guns in my nation. My family, we all members of the IWÖ, this is our equivalent of your American NRA.

I add this newspaper article about more of my people buying shotguns and rifles, Category C, as I explain you don't need a permit to buy them, so this is why they are buying these type of weapons....keep in mind this article from OCTOBER 2015 so my nation DOESN'T have the so-called "refugees" piling into our nation like they were when this article written.

Shotguns have 'virtually sold out' in Austria as citizens rush to buy arms amid fears of a massive influx of migrants, dealers claim
  • There are now thought to be estimated 900,000 firearms in Austrian homes
  • Police say around 70,000 guns have been sold this year alone in Austria
  • Dealers say shotguns have almost sold out because you don't need permit
  • Women are driving the sales rush as fears grow amid influx of refugees

Shotguns have 'virtually sold out' in Austria amid migrant fears

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:
Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Hi Lucy...I absolutely adore and admire the old movies of late. I am a fan beyond belief. TMC and what use to be AMC brought the late stars to life and I have been a fan ever since. I love the 40's....as a minority, kinda wish I had lived back in those days dispite the limitations of my race. If you would like to discuss some old films of late, lets do that someday......My favorite actors of all time, regardless of their movies...Bette, Joan, Holden and Peck...everything they touch I own and watch with so much love and admiration.

I watch old films far more than newer films. Among my favorites are Little Foxes, Quo Vadis, Ride Lonesome...

I've seen some of the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes stuff. I'd read the books first, which sometimes ruins the film version, in this case, it did. That said, since this is the TV forum, there's that 1980's series...it seems to me that Jeremy Brett was a very good Sherlock Holmes.

The Little Foxes....remember that scene when ol dude is struggling up the steps and that face on Bette? Priceless...that lady, that grand actress was by far the best that Hollywood had to offer...she makes ever actress before and after her pale in honoring her legacy of talent!!

I love old movies and tv series
I watched this one a few weeks ago :)

Thanks, I'll watch that :smile:

I notice you're from Thailand, which is interesting, you could tell us what Thailand is like if you wanted to, start a thread for instance.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

"The Killers" made in 1946, with Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien and Albert Dekker and directed by Robert Siodmak.

The Killers (1946 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original trailer for "The Killers"

"The Night of The Hunter" made in 1955, with Robert Mitchum, Lillian Gish, James Gleason and Shelley Winters and directed by Charles Laughton.

This is a fantastic film, it's the only film that the actor Charles Laughton ever directed....for some reason, upon release the critics hated the film and Laughton was so upset that he never directed another film.

The Night of the Hunter (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the original trailer for the film:

I just got through watching the German film festival about ghouls, phantoms, Nosferatu ,Faust and the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, M...to name a few....I am a film historian..Studied in college with one of my majors..

"The Night of The Hunter" made in 1955, with Robert Mitchum, Lillian Gish, James Gleason and Shelley Winters and directed by Charles Laughton.

This is a fantastic film, it's the only film that the actor Charles Laughton ever directed....for some reason, upon release the critics hated the film and Laughton was so upset that he never directed another film.

The Night of the Hunter (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the original trailer for the film:

I was uncomfortable with The Night of the Hunter. Another one that gave me the creeps was Cape Fear (1962) which happened to also star Robert Mitchum. I usually enjoy his movies but these two I found too dark and sinister, which I can't explain because I love film noir.

If you like film noir, this is a must.

MV5BOTUyNjkwNjA4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTMzNDk0MjE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

In the two movies I mentioned what unsettles me is my affinity for the victims, especially the kids in Night of the Hunter. While I've seen them both they're not ones I'd watch again-and-again like I do White Lightning, Impact and dozens of others.

definetly old movies are by far better contemporary ones. If we talk about plot and thinking, i mean. If you like explosions, screaming and naked bodies - watch new movies.

Forum List

Back