Why I don't believe in God

"And if they can't give us good reasons why our reasons are wrong, I guess that means the evidence for God is really weak."

Actually 'evidence' of 'god' as perceived by theists doesn't exist at all.

I don't think you will go to hell for believing nonsense but you think we're going to hell for not believing your nonsense.
that pretty much covers it, yes.......I believe you will not be going to the Christian paradise if you refuse to believe there is a Christian god......to be honest I would consider it illogical to think I was going to a place I refused to believe existed, but then, I'm not an atheist so don't ask ME to explain how your mind works.......

Lets say someone tells me all about Hawaii but because I have never seen any proof of a place I don't believe it exists. If you could provide some evidence a place exists, maybe I would believe. But because you can't, until you put me on a plane and send me there, I won't believe it exists. And neither should you.

Silly boob, this is an outstanding analogy. Once in a blue moon you actually stumble upon a good point. It's impossible to show you evidence when you don't believe in what the evidence supports. I can show you postcards of Hawaii... those could be faked. I could bring you back a pineapple from Hawaii... could've come from anywhere. I could get people who've been to tell you about Hawaii.. they could be lying or delusional.

But I also like the point made by PmP.. You don't wake up in the morning and think... I'm going to the message boards to argue with those Hawaii believers again today! A great example of this is my disbelief in "the grays" (actual aliens walking among us). It's possible because anything is possible but I just don't believe it. Therefore, I am not going to believe any "evidence" you present, I will remain skeptical... but I also won't spend my time coming here to argue with people who do believe that.

Do you wish Atheists well?
I would wish you Happy Thanksgiving but I don't have a clue who you would be thanking......
Thankful for my life, my family and friends, my health, my success in life, intelligence, the time I got on this earth.

Thankful for the food on the table, etc. Do you think only Christians and Muslims and Jews can celebrate Thanksgiving? And I've heard many a "I'm thankful for" speeches and no one ever says god. They are always thankful for the real tangible or physical things they have.

Thankful to whom?

I would wish you Happy Thanksgiving but I don't have a clue who you would be thanking......
Thankful for my life, my family and friends, my health, my success in life, intelligence, the time I got on this earth.

Thankful for the food on the table, etc. Do you think only Christians and Muslims and Jews can celebrate Thanksgiving? And I've heard many a "I'm thankful for" speeches and no one ever says god. They are always thankful for the real tangible or physical things they have.

Thankful to whom?

You don't have to be thankful to anyone. You can just be thankful that things are going well.

You can be thankful that your family is happy and healthy, that your job is going well, all that kind of stuff. I feel very thankful for a relatively warm day in November, living in the northeast. :D

Thankful to whom?

You don't have to be thankful to anyone. You can just be thankful that things are going well.
then you don't need a Thanksgiving Day".....

You can be thankful that your family is happy and healthy, that your job is going well, all that kind of stuff. I feel very thankful for a relatively warm day in November, living in the northeast. :D
thankful to your family for being healthy?......thankful to your boss for your job (did you call and tell him you were thankful?.......Did you thank the sun for shining on you and the wind for not blowing hard?......you don't seem to have a handle on how this works......

thankful to your family for being healthy?......thankful to your boss for your job (did you call and tell him you were thankful?.......Did you thank the sun for shining on you and the wind for not blowing hard?......you don't seem to have a handle on how this works......

I don't have to thank anyone in particular to feel thankful. :)

It's more like the religious people keep coming into the thread and whining about people not believing.
oh bullshit.....why would we give a fuck if you believe or not?......
Strength in numbers and you are losing members by the day.

Nonsense. You have to cherry pick statistics to get to this ridiculous premise. Worldwide, there are more Christians today than any time in human history. In fact, history reveals that back in ancient times before Christianity was popular, there was a concerted effort to kill all the Christian believers in the world. At the time it is estimated there were about 200k. The more they killed the faster Christianity spread. Within 100 years the number skyrocketed to over 6 million. This is what ultimately prompted Charlemagne to embrace Christianity instead of trying to fight it.

Strength in numbers? Worldwide, there are approximately 5% of the population who identify as Nihilists. That's the belief in nothing. This number is unchanged for thousands of years. Religions may come and go but there has never been a time in human history where a majority of people were non-spiritual.

In one of the most atheistic countries on the planet, Norway, a survey shows about 44% of the population identify as "atheist" but... when they asked about belief in any kind of spirit or life force beyond the physical, only 29% would go that far. So even in an environment where nearly half the population are self-professed atheists, more than a third of them have to admit they can't discount the possibility of something.

Thankful to whom?

What do you mean??? Thankful to WHO? Yourself?

Thankful to whom?

You can feel thankful for what you have. You don't have to be thankful towards anyone. Don't you understand that? Sad. :(

Thankful to whom?

You can feel thankful for what you have. You don't have to be thankful towards anyone. Don't you understand that? Sad. :(

I don't understand what you mean by "thankful" when you won't tell me who you are thankful to. I have not said you can't FEEL thankful. What does that mean? Thankful to WHO? Nature? The Universe? Yourself? WHO are you thankful to?

Thankful to whom?

I don't understand what you mean by "thankful" when you won't tell me who you are thankful to. I have not said you can't FEEL thankful. What does that mean? Thankful to WHO? Nature? The Universe? Yourself? WHO are you thankful to?

I've already told you. I'm not going to waste my time. I feel thankful sometimes. That's all. It doesn't have to be directed towards anyone or anything in particular. I'm just a joyful and happy person most of the time. :banana:

So anyway, I was thinking that a lot of people who are religious or who turn toward religion for comfort or guidance are usually people who have gone through some difficult times. So maybe it's not that there is something "missing" necessarily, but that they need something that a companion or just life itself cannot provide for them. This kind of "belief" gives them comfort and peace. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Forum List

Back