Why I support reparations — and all conservatives should

This speaks for itself.

Like most conservatives, I’ve scoffed at the idea of reparations or a formal apology for slavery. I did not own slaves, so why would I support my government using my tax dollars for reparations or issuing an apology? Further, no one in the United States has been legally enslaved since 1865, so why are Black people today owed anything more than the same freedoms and opportunities that I enjoy?

I remain unconvinced that an apology would have much real value, but the more substantive notion of reparations is worth discussing. In fact, it could be argued that the idea fits within the conservative philosophy. We’ll come back to that. But it is undeniable that White people have disproportionately benefitted from both the labor and the legacy of slavery, and — crucially — will continue to do so for generations to come.

When slavery was abolished after a bloody civil war, African Americans were dispersed into a world that was overtly hostile to them. Reconstruction efforts were bitterly resisted by most Southern Whites, and attempts to educate and employ former slaves happened only in fits and starts. The government even reneged on its “40 acres and a mule” pledge. After slavery, prejudice and indifference continued to fuel social and economic disparity.

The result is unsurprising. As noted by scholars A. Kirsten Mullen and William A. Darity Jr., co-authors of “From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century,” data from the 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances showed that median Black household net worth averaged $17,600 — a little more than one-tenth of median White net worth. As Mullen and Darity write, “white parents, on average, can provide their children with wealth-related intergenerational advantages to a far greater degree than black parents. When parents offer gifts to help children buy a home, avoid student debt, or start a business, those children are more able to retain and build on their wealth over their own lifetimes.”

Black author and activist Randall Robinson has argued that even laws such as those on affirmative action “will never close the economic gap. This gap is structural. … blacks, even middle-class blacks, have no paper assets to speak of. They may be salaried, but they’re only a few months away from poverty if they should lose those jobs, because … they’ve had nothing to hand down from generation to generation because of the ravages of discrimination and segregation, which were based in law until recently.”

In addition to the discrepancy in inherited wealth, even conservatives should be able to acknowledge that Whites enjoy generational associations in the business world, where who you know often counts more than what you know — a reality based not so much on overt racism as on employment and promotion

You support reparations because you're nothing but a lazy-ass porch negro who doesn't want to work for shit.

Fuck you. Get off your dead, negro ass and go earn a living. If you can't do that, then fuck you. You're nothing but a worthless piece of shit...

I earned a living for 43 years. We are owed by the government. You have been given things paid for with our tax dollars. So shut the fuck up white boy.

Exactly what have I been given, negro?

You'd best sit your monkey ass down and shut the fuck up like a good negro...
Everything your white ass has is due to legislation.

Just face the truth white boy.

Listen up, BOY. Everything I have is because of my own hard work.

That'd be something moolies like you know nothin' about...
No, everything you have is frim government policy that allowed you opprtunkties that blacks and others of color could not get. That's something a dumb ass cracker like you would like to deny.

This speaks for itself.

Like most conservatives, I’ve scoffed at the idea of reparations or a formal apology for slavery. I did not own slaves, so why would I support my government using my tax dollars for reparations or issuing an apology? Further, no one in the United States has been legally enslaved since 1865, so why are Black people today owed anything more than the same freedoms and opportunities that I enjoy?

I remain unconvinced that an apology would have much real value, but the more substantive notion of reparations is worth discussing. In fact, it could be argued that the idea fits within the conservative philosophy. We’ll come back to that. But it is undeniable that White people have disproportionately benefitted from both the labor and the legacy of slavery, and — crucially — will continue to do so for generations to come.

When slavery was abolished after a bloody civil war, African Americans were dispersed into a world that was overtly hostile to them. Reconstruction efforts were bitterly resisted by most Southern Whites, and attempts to educate and employ former slaves happened only in fits and starts. The government even reneged on its “40 acres and a mule” pledge. After slavery, prejudice and indifference continued to fuel social and economic disparity.

The result is unsurprising. As noted by scholars A. Kirsten Mullen and William A. Darity Jr., co-authors of “From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century,” data from the 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances showed that median Black household net worth averaged $17,600 — a little more than one-tenth of median White net worth. As Mullen and Darity write, “white parents, on average, can provide their children with wealth-related intergenerational advantages to a far greater degree than black parents. When parents offer gifts to help children buy a home, avoid student debt, or start a business, those children are more able to retain and build on their wealth over their own lifetimes.”

Black author and activist Randall Robinson has argued that even laws such as those on affirmative action “will never close the economic gap. This gap is structural. … blacks, even middle-class blacks, have no paper assets to speak of. They may be salaried, but they’re only a few months away from poverty if they should lose those jobs, because … they’ve had nothing to hand down from generation to generation because of the ravages of discrimination and segregation, which were based in law until recently.”

In addition to the discrepancy in inherited wealth, even conservatives should be able to acknowledge that Whites enjoy generational associations in the business world, where who you know often counts more than what you know — a reality based not so much on overt racism as on employment and promotion

You support reparations because you're nothing but a lazy-ass porch negro who doesn't want to work for shit.

Fuck you. Get off your dead, negro ass and go earn a living. If you can't do that, then fuck you. You're nothing but a worthless piece of shit...

I earned a living for 43 years. We are owed by the government. You have been given things paid for with our tax dollars. So shut the fuck up white boy.

No, everything you have is frim government policy that allowed you opprtunkties that blacks and others of color could not get. That's something a dumb ass cracker like you would like to deny.

Learn to fuckin' spell, you fuckin' illiterate negro.

Fuck...

This speaks for itself.

If the government wrote big reparations checks to black people, I would be morally compelled to support only Honky businesses. They would need the money more, in order to pay the way for the blacks who would no longer need to work as well as their own needs.
Since our labor and tax dollars have helped whites get where they are now, you need to be quiet.
You ain't helped a fuckin' thing, monkey boy, so shut the fuck up...
Our tax dollars paid for the suburbs and still pays for suburban economic development. Our tax money has paid for every government program since 1913 that we were excluded from or denied access to that whites benefitted from. That is a truth you are not man enough to accept.

And what of the tax dollars collected from whites?
Whites benefitted from the programs, therefore they got a return for their money. Our money paid fir white economic development and our own communitires were denied.

This speaks for itself.

Fuck...
Learn to not make a big stink about a typo when you can't offer a rebuttal, you dumb ass white trash.

This speaks for itself.

If the government wrote big reparations checks to black people, I would be morally compelled to support only Honky businesses. They would need the money more, in order to pay the way for the blacks who would no longer need to work as well as their own needs.
Since our labor and tax dollars have helped whites get where they are now, you need to be quiet.
Our tax dollars paid for the suburbs and still pays for suburban economic development. Our tax money has paid for every government program since 1913 that we were excluded from or denied access to that whites benefitted from. That is a truth you are not man enough to accept.

Whites benefitted from the programs, therefore they got a return for their money. Our money paid fir white economic development and our own communitires were denied.

You're an illiterate little Sambo fuck.

Until your monkey ass can learn to fucking spell, you've got nothing of value to share...

This speaks for itself.

Fuck...
Learn to not make a big stink about a typo when you can't offer a rebuttal, you dumb ass white trash.

Typos are an occasional mistake.

You've turned them into a goddamn career, moolie...

This speaks for itself.

Until your monkey ass can learn to fucking spell, you've got nothing of value to share...
Wrong. I spell fine, you are losing the argument and now want to talk about some typos. So until your cracker ass can face the truth, this is what you are going to get.

This speaks for itself.

Wrong. I spell fine, you are losing the argument and now want to talk about some typos. So until your cracker ass can face the truth, this is what you are going to get.
Until you're given permission to speak, all you're doing is flappin' those big ol' negro lips...

This speaks for itself.

Fuck...

Typos are an occasional mistake.

You've turned them into a goddamn career, moolie...
Nah, the fact I don't edit is not the issue here. My typos don't change the facts presented. Blacks paid taxes that helped whites gain wealth blacks were excluded from. No matter how those words are spelled, that is the reality here.

This speaks for itself.

Until you're given permission to speak, all you're doing is flappin' those big ol' negro lips...
I give myself permission to speak and all this shit you're talking only goes to show that I whipped your white ass in this debate.

This speaks for itself.

I give myself permission to speak and all this shit you're talking only goes to show that I whipped your white ass in this debate.

You've not whipped anything, Kunta, so fuck off...

I know what republicans are, you guys seem unable to understand thats why most of of us support democrats.
Why on god's green earth should you receive reparations for something that never happened to you?

This speaks for itself.

Oh good grief--the stupidity of it all. Blacks, well atleast some like whites, became quit rich back then---many blacks were free, several owned slaves themselves, many supported the south during the civil war. Its retarded to claim slavery so many generations ago prevented blacks from becoming rich. Stop with your get rich scams---you deserve no repariations..........and you might want to note tha there are many poor whites and many poor whites that WORKED their way out of poverty as have many blacks. Just because you committed to crimes, lie to much, do to many drugs, have skills or are just lazy doesn't many everyone else is like you. You want money? Get off your ass and go earn it yourself.
Piss poor excuses. Many blacks were not free, very few got rich, the first black millionaire came years after slavery ended and the government paid reparations to descendants of the people that seceeded from the unupn and waged war against the US. Blacks bought their enslaved spouses and children. Blacks did not support the south during the civil war. Slaves were made to work labor for the confederacy. That is not support.

Your opinion is full of lies and is ignorant of history.

I have a college degree. I built or helped to develop 3 separate businesses. I have committed no crimes. The simple truth is the government enacted policies that were detrimental to blacks and still does. We are owed money and the government of this country owes it to us.

You pay native americans every year and you will pay them for as long as this is a country. Your argument is weak, do some research and try again.
native Americans had their lands taken ....their mother land ....as far as i can tell Africa is waiting for you if you want to go back ...

what are whites supposed to do?

walk into the local supermarket, and pay cash to the first black person they see, and kiss his feet?

what are whites supposed to do?

walk into the local supermarket, and pay cash to the first black person they see, and kiss his feet?

See, that's the thing. Negroes demand "reparations", yet I've not met a single one who can explain what that is or what it should be. All they want is shit for free. They want it all and they want to pay for none of it.

Remember this shining example of a citizen?

All she cared about was getting a free "Obamaphone". But then, at :08 this monkey says "He gave us a phone. He gonna do more."

See, it's the "more" part that the colored will focus on. The fact that they got a free phone will dissipate into the ether. They want more shit for free. Remember, these are the animals who believe that a proper response to police brutality and social injustice is to break into Target and steal televisions and diapers. While I'm certain that there are people of color who truly wish to see those problems addressed (and those people should be applauded), the vast majority of negroes, like the chimpanzee in the video, only care about what they can get for free. Fuck everyone else, what do they get?

But let's say that your suggestion is deemed the way to go: let's just give them cash. The problem is that it'll never be enough. If you give them $100, they'll want $1,000. If you give them $10,000 they'll want $1,000,000, and so on. Educated and reasonable black people understand that reparations can never work for exactly this reason. Slavery was a morbid thing, and it's impossible to quantify a value for it. For that reason alone it should never even be attempted. Ignorant coloreds like IM2, though, don't understand why it can't work...

So when is Egypt going to pay the Jews for 400 years of slavery?. When is Germany going to pay the Jews for the holocaust?.

This speaks for itself.

The democrat party has over 200 million dollars I'm in favor of them taking that money and giving it to the people they enslaved and terrorized for decades
Side note why is it that republicans have no debt but the democrats do?
Republicans did it too.
democrats have the money to pay for their sins
Republicans have nothing to do with slavery

This speaks for itself.

What has he been given that anyone else hasnt?

We are owed by the government. You have been given things paid for with our tax dollars.
You have been given things paid for by our tax dollars, too, dumbass. Decades of intergenerational welfare, for one.
No one owes you shit. You were never enslaved to anything beyond your own lack of intellect and ambition.

Forum List

Back