Why is a modern man not as strong and healthy as a cowboy?

I think it's because cowboys smoked a lot and drank a lot of natural milk

20140206121810.jpg

First of all, how healthy were cowboys??

Second of all, people who work in physically demanding jobs are still just as healthy, if not moreso.

Look bro, I know you wish you were a strong tough cowboy man.....but fantasizing about days gone by won't help more than growing a set of nuts and being a real man would.....and you whine far far too much to be a real man...

The sad part is that he is not fantasizing about reality. He thinks the western movies are a 100% accurate portrayal of the "wild west".

I am 75 and in good health. No chronic problem. I had a couple of minor cancers but they were treated with modern medicine and are gone now. Never smoked.

I have many friends that around my same age and they are also in fairly good health and are active for their age. I know this is anecdotal but the similarity is that almost none of them ever smoked. The ones that did stopped a long time ago.

I think that if you are White, have access to typical middle class health services, don't use drugs, abuse alchol or smoke then you chances of living into your 90s and maybe even to 100 are pretty good.

First of all, how healthy were cowboys??

Second of all, people who work in physically demanding jobs are still just as healthy, if not moreso.
Cowboys weren't all that healthy or comfortable. Working around animals and outdoors so much exposed then to all sorts of infections and viruses on a regular basis....there's tons of stories of common ailments that cowboys suffered from that they learned to live shortened lives with.

They weren't healthy.

Cowboys weren't all that healthy or comfortable. Working around animals and outdoors so much exposed then to all sorts of infections and viruses on a regular basis....there's tons of stories of common ailments that cowboys suffered from that they learned to live shortened lives with.

They weren't healthy.
Fun fact.

In the real Old West the term "Cowboy" was derogatory. Referred to somebody that was a crook or low life. You did not want to be called a Cowboy.

Hollywood with the romanticized view of the Old West change the term to be much more positive.

Fun fact.

In the real Old West the term "Cowboy" was derogatory. Referred to somebody that was a crook or low life. You did not want to be called a Cowboy.

Hollywood with the romanticized view of the Old West change the term to be much more positive.

His view and reality are miles apart.

He also claims the cowboys were nomads, like the Aryans on the steppe.

His view and reality are miles apart.

He also claims the cowboys were nomads, like the Aryans on the steppe.
There usually was a group of guys that traveled around to different ranches doing odd jobs to simply eat. All had some sad sack tale to tell. They kept traveling because they were shiftless and broke rules and were too self absorbed to be welcomed by any community. (Every ranch did have regular hands)
The ranchers weren't much better....they didn't treat these "temp/seasonal" guys well either because they didn't have to. Bunkhouses were usually flea infested and right next to animal stalls. Poorly heated....if there was heat. You could always count on eating beans at every meal. Corn was another staple. Meat was very scarce and almost not expected....same with desserts or sugary treats. Bread, biscuits were common...butter or other dairy was not.

But if the farm had chickens you got eggs, milk products if they had a lot of dairy cows....fruit if they had fruit trees. They cooked and you got a bowl/metal plate for food. You might get Gravy if you were lucky.

Fried chicken was a high quality meal. Not something that a seasonal "cowboy" would get unless he paid for it.

Is it your claim there is no medicinal benefit in having air blown up your bum?

View attachment 675475

I am reminded when I was in the recovery ward after having my last colonoscopy. I was awake and a nurse was asking me questions to see if I was ready to leave. I thought I was ready to get dressed and leave, but the nurse told me that I had not relieved the gas in my colon yet. First time someone knew I needed to fart before I knew it myself. I let out a great big huge fart before I got dressed and checked out.

I got a good report for the condition of my bum hole by the way. It took getting air blown up my bum, so yes there can be a health benefit of having air blown up the bum? In fact, my uncle survived colon cancer due to early detection.

Last edited:
Most died between age 45-56.. very few lived to 70 years or more.

Not sure, but I think a lot of the statistics are skewed by high infant mortality rates.
They also obviously had no protection from epidemics, accidents, medical events like appendicitis, etc.
But that does not mean a few did not live to be more than 100.
Here are some well known Greek philosophers.
{...

1. Thales of Miletus (624/3 – 548/5 BC) age of 76​

2. Pythagoras of Samos (570- 495 BC) age of 75​

3. Parmenides of Elea (c. 520 BC – c. 440 BC) age of 80​

4. Anaxagoras of Clazomenae (500 – 428 BC) age of 72​

5. Empedocles of Akragas (495 – 435 BC) age of 60​

6. Zeno of Elea (c. 495 BC – c. 430 BC) age of 65​

7. Socrates of Athens (469 – 399 BC) age of 70​

8. Democritus of Abdera (460 – 370 BC) age of 90​

9. Plato of Athens (427 – 347 BC) age of 80​

10. Aristotle of Stagira (384 – 322 BC) age of 62​

11. Epicurus of Samos (341 – 270 BCE) age of 71​

12. Diogenes of Sinope (c. 412 – 323 BCE) age of 89​

...}

Not sure, but I think a lot of the statistics are skewed by high infant mortality rates.
They also obviously had no protection from epidemics, accidents, medical events like appendicitis, etc.
But that does not mean a few did not live to be more than 100.
Here are some well known Greek philosophers.
{...

1. Thales of Miletus (624/3 – 548/5 BC) age of 76​

2. Pythagoras of Samos (570- 495 BC) age of 75​

3. Parmenides of Elea (c. 520 BC – c. 440 BC) age of 80​

4. Anaxagoras of Clazomenae (500 – 428 BC) age of 72​

5. Empedocles of Akragas (495 – 435 BC) age of 60​

6. Zeno of Elea (c. 495 BC – c. 430 BC) age of 65​

7. Socrates of Athens (469 – 399 BC) age of 70​

8. Democritus of Abdera (460 – 370 BC) age of 90​

9. Plato of Athens (427 – 347 BC) age of 80​

10. Aristotle of Stagira (384 – 322 BC) age of 62​

11. Epicurus of Samos (341 – 270 BCE) age of 71​

12. Diogenes of Sinope (c. 412 – 323 BCE) age of 89​

...}

Good list, but they were in the minority.

Forum List

Back