Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

Disagree. If I get offended and you apologize and correct your verbiage, tone, etc then you determined if the conversation continues. I do it with my kids all the time.

I am not a child
Legally? No. Emotionally? Absolutely.
Fortunately I do not have your condition and we can continue this conversation even tho I found that to be offensive.
I was speaking about your condition. Obviously emotionally you are still a child. You have the same child like concept in your mind that makes no room for the thoughts of others. Lots of people have this same issue so dont feel bad. Thats why PC is so important. It helps you grow and understand that no matter your personal opinions in order to communicate and hopefully influence you have to be good at being PC.

I have room for thoughts AND words of others. I can continue to have a conversation EVEN IF I am offended. I will overlook the offensive comment and focus on what you are trying to say. I an not a victim of offensive words.
Thats great but 99% of the people on the planet dont share your ability to overlook offensive comments which brings us back to the importance of PC. You just pointed it out better than I did that people cant concentrate on the content when offended.

A good example of what ?
An example of nonsense and terrible communications skills. Instead of assisting communication you have moved to an area where your comments are counter productive and discredits anything that may have made sense earlier.

no-----you are pathologically offended and unable to participate. I'm so sorry for your condition.
And you are still pretending you can read peoples minds. That doesnt make any sense.

No I am making observations about what you say. I have no clue as to what you might find offensive. I would have to wait for you to admoinish me like a child.
Now look who is being sensitive. Telling you not to call me dodo head is something one would have to tell a child so take that for what its worth.

and yet I still listen to you without asking you to change your vocabulary. See how that works ?

I am not a child
Fortunately I do not have your condition and we can continue this conversation even tho I found that to be offensive.
I was speaking about your condition. Obviously emotionally you are still a child. You have the same child like concept in your mind that makes no room for the thoughts of others. Lots of people have this same issue so dont feel bad. Thats why PC is so important. It helps you grow and understand that no matter your personal opinions in order to communicate and hopefully influence you have to be good at being PC.

I have room for thoughts AND words of others. I can continue to have a conversation EVEN IF I am offended. I will overlook the offensive comment and focus on what you are trying to say. I an not a victim of offensive words.
Thats great but 99% of the people on the planet dont share your ability to overlook offensive comments which brings us back to the importance of PC. You just pointed it out better than I did that people cant concentrate on the content when offended.

99% ? I dont think so. And I can concentrate just fine when I am offended. You are the victim here remember ?

An example of nonsense and terrible communications skills. Instead of assisting communication you have moved to an area where your comments are counter productive and discredits anything that may have made sense earlier.

no-----you are pathologically offended and unable to participate. I'm so sorry for your condition.
And you are still pretending you can read peoples minds. That doesnt make any sense.

No I am making observations about what you say. I have no clue as to what you might find offensive. I would have to wait for you to admoinish me like a child.
Now look who is being sensitive. Telling you not to call me dodo head is something one would have to tell a child so take that for what its worth.

and yet I still listen to you without asking you to change your vocabulary. See how that works ?
Yes I see how that worked. You pretended you could read my mind after I hurt your feelings. Obviously you werent listening because everyone knows you cant really read my mind.

You could say something totally PC to me and I could still get offended and it could change the conversation to something personal and confrontational....
I disagree. I might think its PC but if you get offended its obviously not PC. The offended person sets the rules on what is PC or not.

So anything said that offends someone else is automatically NOT politically correct?

99% ? I dont think so. And I can concentrate just fine when I am offended. You are the victim here remember ?
You dont have to think . Scientists have already proven it. Obviously we both are victims. You just claimed you could concentrate but then you pretended you could read my mind.

You could say something totally PC to me and I could still get offended and it could change the conversation to something personal and confrontational....
I disagree. I might think its PC but if you get offended its obviously not PC. The offended person sets the rules on what is PC or not.

So anything said that offends someone else is automatically NOT politically correct?
Yes if you go by the definition of PC.

politically correct
adjective
demonstrating progressive ideals, esp by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental, esp concerning race and gender PC

Yes I see how that worked. You pretended you could read my mind after I hurt your feelings. Obviously you werent listening because everyone knows you cant really read my mind.
Dude----all I have to do is read what you posted. Gotta go work on my son's car. Have a great day.

Dude----all I have to do is read what you posted. Gotta go work on my son's car. Have a great day.
You too.

Examples are best to work with - like what is an example of something that would be said that is politically INCORRECT that would be a barrier to discussion?
"All black people are thugs"

That is not Politically Incorrect. That is racist.

A better example would be to call a Black Thug a BLack Thug.

The term "black thug" is POlitically Incorrect, regardless of whether it is true or not.

Using the term itself, or even the idea is taboo.
It is both politically incorrect and racist.

And your black thug is kind of racist as well as it implies that someone is a thug because he or she is black.

But there is the actual problem with slinging around the term PC police. It shuts down logical discussion.

Any kind of angry and personal insults (real or perceived) shuts down productive discussion.

NOt necessarily. There is no reason that productive discussion can't be heated and still contain valid points and counter points, along side of personal insults.

With Political Correctness though, the topic is ALWAYS shitcanned, while the offendee goes on the offensive against the alleged "offender".

Examples are best to work with - like what is an example of something that would be said that is politically INCORRECT that would be a barrier to discussion?

The term "black thug" is POlitically Incorrect, regardless of whether it is true or not.

And your black thug is kind of racist as well as it implies that someone is a thug because he or she is black.

But there is the actual problem with slinging around the term PC police. It shuts down logical discussion.

Any kind of angry and personal insults (real or perceived) shuts down productive discussion.

NOt necessarily. There is no reason that productive discussion can't be heated and still contain valid points and counter points, along side of personal insults.

With Political Correctness though, the topic is ALWAYS shitcanned, while the offendee goes on the offensive against the alleged "offender".

The inherent reason is that no one is listening when discussion is heated. Everyone is talking at each other and over each other instead of with each other. If talking was like chess then people would have time to think before responding. Unfortunately that breaks most of the protocols of conversing.

People just don't like to be forced, per se. Social assassination falls in with that.
Mental conformity is the never the answer
If some jackass wants to be a dummy, let him. After all, its not hurting anyone. It only hurts someone if they let it. Build up your confidence and quit being a limp wrist.

Dear Asclepias
I think the posts by TNHarley explain it best
(1) it should not come across as the govt or "some other group"
trying to dictate to others how to say things or change their ways.
Nobody I know responds well to that approach
(2) with free speech, the focus should be on free choice to be more sensitive, not forcing it.
Such as Christians who use Bible language when they speak with each other,
"choosing or agreeing" to use secular terms when speaking with an atheist.
Faith in Jesus can be translated into faith in justice.
Faith in Christ Jesus as Restorative Justice, while Retributive Justice by ill will and fear that fuels war
is Antichrist and Satanic that causes hell.

This has to be respected as free choice and can't be forced on people or it's fake.

If you do not embrace the idea of Christians telling everyone we ALL have to pray
"in the name of Jesus" to be united and correct -- by FORCE instead of uniting by free choice --
as the only TRUE and correct way, then we can't expect others to magically adopt
our way of saying things by force or collective pressure. It is only truly unifying if it
is chosen by free will, because it is natural for people, and makes sense to say or do it that way.
I dont understand your point about the government. Please explain. Now some other group is totally different. If that groups says "dont call us dodos" and you continue to call them dodos then you have broken down the communication you wanted with them. Again this is the difference between talking with someone and hoping to influence a change or talking at someone and not communicating at all.

1. In the policies the City of Houston was pushing politically to include "transgender" along with religion, creed and gender or else face govt penalties for discrimination,
there were provisions that treated even questioning a transgender person in the restroom
as harassment. so this is PC pushed too far, where the ordinance threatened fines against
citizens for "asking questions" to a cross dressing person in the opposite restroom, but
no equal protection for citizens from false accusations or charges, so this was onesided.

2. as for a group saying "don't call us dodos"
what isn't specified is that group demands the right to insult others by calling them names.
It's okay to call all Christians frauds, whackos and cult as free speech
but not okay for them to call gays or atheists bad names or they are hateful.

so it isn't being enforced as mutual, only one sided that the predominant group is in the wrong and needs correction, and never mind the reactions to that group which are blamed on them as well. eg, if Blacks says racist things against Whites, that's okay because Whites caused it; so Whites are wrong for being racist, while Blacks are merely reacting and have the right to voice their anger in any way it comes out because they didn't cause it.

If you need him to kiss your ass before your able or willing to listen, the problem is you.

Could be but that doesnt make me hear your message. So you have failed in getting your point across.

If you close your mind and refuse to listen it is no failure of mine.
I closed my mind due to your failure. If you had simply changed your words then your goal would have been achieved.

NOpe. In the past I have tried hundreds of times altering the terminology in order to move the discussion forward.

It never worked.

ONce the person in question chooses to be "offended" they change the debate to how bad a person the alleged "offender" is.

There is no going back from that. It is a win for the user of POlitical Correctness. The topic is how bad their opponent is. The debate is their opponent claiming not to be a bad person, and the user of PC repeating their charges.
Then that only means you are doing something wrong and blaming your failure on someone else because it couldnt possibly be you that is incorrect. Whats worse is that you are taking that interaction and applying it to everyone you deem to be on "that side".

It is telling that you feel you can judge that is "can only be" that I am in the wrong.

Can you prove that as per your OP using Common Sense?

Because the obvious alternative is that one side of the political divide has adopted a particular idea/tactic and is using it effectively against the other.

Which is quite "possible".

Free Speech is FORBIDDEN under PC...simple as that.... YOU have the right to be outraged by what I say, as I do with what you say!
Free speech is not forbidden. Those who denigrate PC are angry because they no longer have the freedom to offend without consequence.

Political Correctness might well be defined as using simple human respect, decency and tolerance. Those who are off put by PC simply want to conduct themselves without that simple human respect and decency.

Should we eliminate PC? Should we eliminate civil discourse in favor of the coarsening of the culture? They seem to be the same question.

The inherent reason is that no one is listening when discussion is heated. Everyone is talking at each other and over each other instead of with each other. If talking was like chess then people would have time to think before responding. Unfortunately that breaks most of the protocols of conversing.

If the person "thinking" is purposefully using Political Correctness as a tactic to avoid the topic and launch personal attacks there will be no productive discussion regardless of how heated or not the discussion was.

Which is the goal.

Instead of admitting the other side has the point, the user of PC can claim victory because he/she defamed and demonized his opponent.

And it is true. Policies have been crafted and maintained in this fashion to the detriment of the society as a whole.

Could be but that doesnt make me hear your message. So you have failed in getting your point across.

If you close your mind and refuse to listen it is no failure of mine.
I closed my mind due to your failure. If you had simply changed your words then your goal would have been achieved.

NOpe. In the past I have tried hundreds of times altering the terminology in order to move the discussion forward.

It never worked.

ONce the person in question chooses to be "offended" they change the debate to how bad a person the alleged "offender" is.

There is no going back from that. It is a win for the user of POlitical Correctness. The topic is how bad their opponent is. The debate is their opponent claiming not to be a bad person, and the user of PC repeating their charges.
Then that only means you are doing something wrong and blaming your failure on someone else because it couldnt possibly be you that is incorrect. Whats worse is that you are taking that interaction and applying it to everyone you deem to be on "that side".

It is telling that you feel you can judge that is "can only be" that I am in the wrong.

Can you prove that as per your OP using Common Sense?

Because the obvious alternative is that one side of the political divide has adopted a particular idea/tactic and is using it effectively against the other.

Which is quite "possible".
I'm not judging. I'm stating a fact. Obviously you are either totally or partially the blame. Your failure to correct your language to facilitate discussion is self evident proof. If you did everything the person asked you to do then and only then can you technically be without blame.

I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links
First there's a popular, Trump-inspired backlash against political correctness. That's technically your answer.

What stands to reasoning in this position is that political correctness can be imprecise. There's certain things that can't be addressed directly under that paradigm. American politicians and journalists both use the Annenberg political correctness sanual, and guess who are popular villains this cycle.
I dont understand. Are you saying that Trump made PC a bad thing?
Yeah. If you've been looking at the expansion of that trend, it coincides with Trump.

Things like that don't just happen because people are stupid and Trump said so, however, so I refer to the shortcomings that PC has, especially in serious or precise matters. It can look pretty inept.

Ladies, would you like a politically incorrect OBGYN?
I heard of PC being a bad think long before Trump announces his candidacy but thats not really an issue here..

Trump said so what?
I give you that. Mike Jackson didn't invent the moonwalk, but...

There's justice behind the backlash. We're never going to declare war again because we don't want it to seem like we're at war with our enemy's constituents. Is this actually correct or just politically?

I just don't think it's possible to be "PC" at all times by definition.
It's too subject to opinion.

If the person "thinking" is purposefully using Political Correctness as a tactic to avoid the topic and launch personal attacks there will be no productive discussion regardless of how heated or not the discussion was.

Which is the goal.

Instead of admitting the other side has the point, the user of PC can claim victory because he/she defamed and demonized his opponent.

And it is true. Policies have been crafted and maintained in this fashion to the detriment of the society as a whole.
This is where you use your intellect. If a person is launching attacks they obviously are not trying to communicate. They are doing the same thing that people who refuse to be PC are doing.

Free Speech is FORBIDDEN under PC...simple as that.... YOU have the right to be outraged by what I say, as I do with what you say!
Free speech is not forbidden. Those who denigrate PC are angry because they no longer have the freedom to offend without consequence.

Political Correctness might well be defined as using simple human respect, decency and tolerance. Those who are off put by PC simply want to conduct themselves without that simple human respect and decency.

Should we eliminate PC? Should we eliminate civil discourse in favor of the coarsening of the culture? They seem to be the same question.

This pretense is part of the machinery of Political Correctness.

Forum List

Back