Why is CNN allowed a monopoly on airport TVs?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
I would not want to see FOX News to be aired on every single TV in every single airport even though I personally like the show and think it is far more balanced in it's coverage than CNN. There should IMO only be politically neutral programming showed in airports. There should only be weather, sports, entertainment and local news in smaller airports. This Big Brother like ownership of every TV in every airport by CNN should end.

Growing questions about CNN's airport monopoly as network veers left

I would not want to see FOX News to be aired on every single TV in every single airport even though I personally like the show and think it is far more balanced in it's coverage than CNN. There should IMO only be politically neutral programming showed in airports. There should only be weather, sports, entertainment and local news in smaller airports. This Big Brother like ownership of every TV in every airport by CNN should end.

I would guess that CNN PAYS more to the airports than Fox to ensure their monopoly.

CNN PAYS airports to do that...otherwise CNN would have no viewers at all.

Even anderson poopers mom stopped watching 2 years ago :)

Yep, CNN pays each airport over 100 grand a year to have their channel on in that airport.

A quick google search would have gotten you your answer.

CNN Airport - Wikipedia

But that being said, it's not true "CNN" as you would see it at home. They don't show air disaster footage (how fitting) and their fonts are larger to be viewed better at a longer distance. They also don't air any violent footage.

Last edited:

I would guess that CNN PAYS more to the airports than Fox to ensure their monopoly.

The airport needs for people to move from point a to point b in a quiet orderly fashion.

We can't have bunches of people actually watching the dang things. . . LOL, they might miss their flight.

CNN is like elevator music with pictures.

It's not a monopoly. Any other company can bid on the contracts.

Right, so I am asking why is CNN ALLOWED to purchase a monopoly on airport TV broadcasting? Politically biased programs i.e. ALL news CNN, FOX, MSNBC etc. are not appropriate for broadcast in airports IMO. Give us weather, sports, entertainment, stories about puppies whatever, but no more CNN.

It's not really a monopoly.. They just OUTBID everyone for the privilege.. Sucks when you have to BRIBE people to turn on your broadcasting instead of the other way around... LOL....

I imagine if enough flyers complain about it, airports will accept less from competitors to air Fox or even the dreaded red star MSNBC. Maybe Fox would do well in Texas, MSNC in Cali etc. CNN is definitely a D.C station...

Because they are the most trusted name in Fake News, the best propaganda globalists can buy.

Right, so I am asking why is CNN ALLOWED to purchase a monopoly on airport TV broadcasting? Politically biased programs i.e. ALL news CNN, FOX, MSNBC etc. are not appropriate for broadcast in airports IMO. Give us weather, sports, entertainment, stories about puppies whatever, but no more CNN.

For the same reason NBC controls Olympics coverage and my university at one time was Windows only because MSFT paid to reequip the entire school.

Nonsense.

No one is ‘allowing’ anything, it’s not a ‘monopoly,’ and what exactly do you want done – have the government prohibit airports from showing CNN?

Yes, that’s how ridiculous your thread premise is.

I wonder how many people actually pay any attention to what is on them TVs. There are five or six screens at the place that I have been doing my working out at and most of my time is spent with my ear phones on listening to music.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Each screen normally has something different compared to the others. What is there the most are stations like FOX News, the Home and Garden network, and ESPN. I've probably only seen CNN on any of them just once or twice, but every time any of the screens are on, you can't hear what is being said until you hook your head phones or ear buds to the machines that are there in front of the screens. The closed captioning is on the screens too.

Exactly.

Because capitalism

Yes, CNN pays airports for their monopoly.

like people want to hear Communists News Network anyway! :confused:

Forum List

Back