🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why is Eli Manning not considered not a average QB?

OK
First off. We need to remove Romo from any discussion of great QBs. Romo has great QB skills but he is not a great QB

The others are all future HOF QBs. Whether they are better than Eli Manning is debatable. But what can be certain is that 50 years from now, people will still be talking about the exploits of Eli Manning. The others will be largely forgotten

Wait. Technically, yes, it's debatable which QB is better; it's always debatable which QB is better since it's a subjective question. That said, I don't think you'll find many football fans who would hesitate to say that Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers are better QBs than Eli Manning.

And in 50 years, the only reason people might talk about Eli would be as the QB for the team that prevented the Pats from going undefeated, or possibly the David Tyree helmet catch. It wouldn't be because Eli has had such a great career to this point that it needs to be discussed for years and years.

Oops! You forgot Tom Brady! :D Eli gets lucky a lot in the same way that Brett Favre got lucky a lot of times, just lobbing the ball when under pressure, but thankfully he had good receivers. I think Eli is very similar type of QB except Brett Favre was still better because he had great vision to know when he needed to get rid of the ball, when to fall on it, etc.

I was only using the names on his list. Of course Brady is better. :)

I would take a 15 yd loss than a INT on any given sunday

the OLD Eli used to actually do that.if he doesnt get his act together this year,he needs to hang it up.

I don't know about that. He is still not a terrible quarterback, and Dallas still has Romo, so . . . . :D

Yeah when you mention that, the fact that ROMO is still the starter there amazingly,guess anybody can be a quarterback.:D I would for sure take Eli over Romo anyday of the year.Eli doesnt welt in big games.:D

He is still not the caliber QB of Brady or his brother, Peyton. I think he's good at best, and he gets lucky a lot of times. I don't think he has the poise under pressure that Brady has either.

No question Peyton is the better QB. But in a big game I'll take Eli every time. For some reason Eli gets "lucky" and Peyton doesn't

Lol! I can't argue with that because it seems like Peyton has been very unlucky as of late.

Luck has NOTHING to do with it.Going back to his college days Peyton has ALWAYS panicked in big games against top notch competition.He was heavily criticised coming out of college that he had meltdowns in big games.that continued in his NFL days against top notch competition.He cost them against the ravens in Denver the year before,blew it for them against the saints in the superbowl and now the seahawks as well. The facts prove Eli remains calm in the big games where Peyton doesnt.

I agree with him as well.during the regular season I will take Peyton,but in the big game,I also will take brother Eli everytime.

Let's face it, he's no Tom Brady, nor is he his brother, Peyton Manning. :D

No, but he has won more championships than his brother and beaten Tom Brady twice

He is still not the caliber QB of Brady or his brother, Peyton. I think he's good at best, and he gets lucky a lot of times. I don't think he has the poise under pressure that Brady has either.

He for sure has much better poise under pressure in Big games than older brother Peyton though.thats for sure.:D

Eli beat Brady twice in the SB and many NFL fans would still take Brady over ELi

No question Peyton is the better QB. But in a big game I'll take Eli every time. For some reason Eli gets "lucky" and Peyton doesn't

Lol! I can't argue with that because it seems like Peyton has been very unlucky as of late.

Luck has NOTHING to do with it.Going back to his college days Peyton has ALWAYS panicked in big games against top notch competition.He was heavily criticised coming out of college that he had meltdowns in big games.that continued in his NFL days against top notch competition.He cost them against the ravens in Denver the year before,blew it for them against the saints in the superbowl and now the seahawks as well. The facts prove Eli remains calm in the big games where Peyton doesnt.

I agree with him as well.during the regular season I will take Peyton,but in the big game,I also will take brother Eli everytime.

Yes, although I think Peyton is good, he does tend to choke. Let's also not forget about the very talented receivers and other teammates he had while he was QB for the Colts. His team mates really helped to boost his career IMO. They were outstanding for quite a while.

Well, it's hard to say. And if what you say is true, then he is quite lucky to even be in the position he is in. :D

No, but he has won more championships than his brother and beaten Tom Brady twice

He for sure has much better poise under pressure in Big games than older brother Peyton though.thats for sure.:D

As of recently, yes you would be right, but when Peyton was with the Colts, he was quite good. I think it would have been possible for him to have even won a SB during those days because he had more confidence with the excellent team that was surrounded by. I think that makes a big difference.

Well, it's hard to say. And if what you say is true, then he is quite lucky to even be in the position he is in. :D
well he excels during the regular season because in regular season games you can make mistakes one game and then correct them the next week. there are some people that just cant handle the spotlight playing in the big game and he's one of them.:D He cant get out of a mindset he apparently has that he cant screw up in this game-the superbowl because he wont be playing the next week if he does.:D
Knowing those circumstances,he tends to get conservative not taking the chances he tookd during the regular season.

well he excels during the regular season because in regular season games you can make mistakes one game and then correct them the next week. there are some people that just cant handle the spotlight playing in the big game and he's one of them.:D He cant get out of a mindset he apparently has that he cant screw up in this game-the superbowl because he wont be playing the next week if he does.:D
Knowing those circumstances,he tends to get conservative not taking the chances he tookd during the regular season.

I definitely agree that his confidence level is a factor. That is why I think he could have had a chance at winning while with the Colts but I don't think his chances are very good now because he just doesn't seem to have the confidence he used to have while playing with his old team and under his old coach. Also, I remember he had to take that time off for an injury he had too. That might have something to do with it too.

Yes, although I think Peyton is good, he does tend to choke. Let's also not forget about the very talented receivers and other teammates he had while he was QB for the Colts. His team mates really helped to boost his career IMO. They were outstanding for quite a while.

I've always said for years he is a clone of dan marino.Marino was the same way,he always put up impressive numbers and statistics during the regular season but come crunch time in big games in the playoffs, he would choke and stink up the joint.Just like Marino,Manning cant handle the spotlight of playing in the big game. Marino would never stand in the pocket to take a hit when the game was on the line,he would throw it away.Like Manning,Marino had excellent receivers in the marx brothers to make him look good.

I've always said for years he is a clone of dan marino.Marino was the same way,he always put up impressive numbers and statistics during the regular season but come crunch time in big games in the playoffs, he would choke and stink up the joint.Just like Marino,Manning cant handle the spotlight of playing in the big game. Marino would never stand in the pocket to take a hit when the game was on the line,he would throw it away.Like Manning,Marino had excellent receivers in the marx brothers to make him look good.

I can't say that I'm familiar with Dan Marino's career because he is a bit before my time, but I've heard all about him, and from I've heard I would agree. :)

I definitely agree that his confidence level is a factor. That is why I think he could have had a chance at winning while with the Colts but I don't think his chances are very good now because he just doesn't seem to have the confidence he used to have while playing with his old team and under his old coach. Also, I remember he had to take that time off for an injury he had too. That might have something to do with it too.

He just got as far as he did to the superbowl last year because the AFC is so weak.Dont expect them to make it back to the superbowl this year,he isnt getting any younger.Matter of fact I would be very much surprised if he doesnt miss a few games because of injury this year.all the great ones when they hit 38,it almost always shows by that time.

I would be surprised if he didnt miss a few games cause of injury this year because he will have to face the NFC west,the toughest division in football and most physical.that will take a toll on him.

I couldnt believe all the people who actually picked the donkeys to win the superbowl last year.i kept telling them that manning hadnt faced a defense like the seahawks all year long last year and it just went through one ear and out the other.:cuckoo:

i tried explaining the last time he faced a defense similiar to how physical the seahawks are was in the playoff game the previous year against the ravens when he choked in that game throwing an interception in overtime that cost them the game. the ONLY reasaon the game was close and not a blowout that year was because it was played in denver which is a huge disadvantage to visiting teams because
1.the altititude.the air is so thin its tough on the players because they are not used to it.
2.the noise is so loud its deafening,their crowd noise is louder than anybody except seattle.

so had that game been played on a neautral site,the ravens would have blown them out as well.

He just got as far as he did to the superbowl last year because the AFC is so weak.Dont expect them to make it back to the superbowl this year,he isnt getting any younger.Matter of fact I would be very much surprised if he doesnt miss a few games because of injury this year.all the great ones when they hit 38,it almost always shows by that time.

I would be surprised if he didnt miss a few games cause of injury this year because he will have to face the NFC west,the toughest division in football and most physical.that will take a toll on him.

I couldnt believe all the people who actually picked the donkeys to win the superbowl last year.i kept telling them that manning hadnt faced a defense like the seahawks all year long last year and it just went through one ear and out the other.:cuckoo:

i tried explaining the last time he faced a defense similiar to how physical the seahawks are was in the playoff game the previous year against the ravens when he choked in that game throwing an interception in overtime that cost them the game. the ONLY reasaon the game was close and not a blowout that year was because it was played in denver which is a huge disadvantage to visiting teams because
1.the altititude.the air is so thin its tough on the players because they are not used to it.
2.the noise is so loud its deafening,their crowd noise is louder than anybody except seattle.

so had that game been played on a neautral site,the ravens would have blown them out as well.

I really haven't been keeping up with the Patriots, so it's going to be a complete surprise during preseason for me. I hope they have a good team this year. Brady's been having his own problems with accuracy it seems. Can't wait for the season to start though! :D

Time after time, Peyton has been given the opportunity to excell. He has had the tools at his disposal. Score a TD and we win, fail and we lose

Peyton has failed. He has rarely delivered in the playoffs

Why do people talk about quarterbacks beating the other team's quarterback? That doesn't happen with any other position.

Eli beat the Patriots. He didn't beat Brady.

Well, Eli and his TEAM beat the Patriots. :D Eli couldn't have beat the Patriots all by himself you know. Lol!

I don't know, some of the posts on this thread make me think people believe that he could. :lol:

I am curious, what are the obvious reasons his first SB win doesn't count?

He was sacked and somehow tripped and stumbled his way out of the Pats defender and then threw the ball down the field praying a NY giant came down with it who happened to be a receiver that caught it with his helmet.

That was a joke of a win and I never gave credit for the 1st SB. Only the 2nd

Great plays don't count.......Got it

Eli eluding three defenders and managing to complete a pass 30 yards down the field was one of the most clutch plays ever.

Well I guess we can't count Terry Bradshaw's Superbowl X win due to Swann's leaping catch. Forget Montana's first Superbowl win cause he would not have been there if not for a great catch by Dwight Clark. In fact, as a Chiefs fan, I am discounting the last 45 SB games so KC is still the reigning champ.

Forum List

Back