Why is it when people blast music from cars it's always garbage music like rap,but never anything like metal or rock?

The public nuisance laws are pretty hard to enforce on a moving target. Some guy drove by playing loud music I didn't like, is apt to bring a shrug from the cops.

It's not just a matter of “music I didn't like“. It's a matter of making so much gratuitous noise that it disrupts whatever else I am trying to watch, listen to, or otherwise do, and deprives me of much-needed peace. Once it was some asshole loudly playing crap right outside my window, when I needed to make an important phone call to make arrangements for surgery a few days hence.

And of course, in many cases, it's a drive by, as you said, a “moving target”. Loud enough to wake me and/or my wife (it happens at all hours, even when productive people with jobs need to be sleeping) or to disrupt a conversation, or just give me a headache, and then he's gone long before any cops would be able to arrive if I called them.

The public nuisance laws are pretty hard to enforce on a moving target. Some guy drove by playing loud music I didn't like, is apt to bring a shrug from the cops.

It's not just a matter of “music I didn't like“. It's a matter of making so much gratuitous noise that it disrupts whatever else I am trying to watch, listen to, or otherwise do, and deprives me of much-needed peace. Once it was some asshole loudly playing crap right outside my window, when I needed to make an important phone call to make arrangements for surgery a few days hence.

And of course, in many cases, it's a drive by, as you said, a “moving target”. Loud enough to wake me and/or my wife (it happens at all hours, even when productive people with jobs need to be sleeping) or to disrupt a conversation, or just give me a headache, and then he's gone long before any cops would be able to arrive if I called them.
Most of it is just like listening to a 12 year old reciting a rhyme he made up during recess....only there's alot of swearing going on.

Doesn't matter what kind of music it is. The point is that it is a desperate cry for attention by an arrested-development, insecure child.
no it isn't

What other sort of nominal person would feel a need to impose his choice in auditory garbage on everyone within a block or two?

In this day and age you can just put your earbuds in and destroy your own eardrums to your heart's content without annoying the neighbours.

The guy who lives across the street often plays his music really loud when he's out getting his white 1934 Chevy pickup truck with the red pinstriping, ready for a car show. I generally open my windows when he's out in the yard, because he's an old rocker, playing ZZ Top, Leonard Skynard and Aerosmith. I don't know how the rest of the neighbors feel about it but I think the guy has great taste!

Because i noticed whenever i am out and about and sitting in traffic this car or truck always pulls up playing rap that i can hear clearly and the rap is mostly about busting a cap up someone's butt and such, instead of proper music like heavy metal or rock.

Because many people who play rap are (a) not very nice people and (b) determined to foist that noise on others to show that they can do anything they want. Their attitude: What are you going to about it? The victim's answer: Nothing, sir!

Back in the day, when they actually made good music, the sound systems were for crap for the most part.

Now that we have the shittiest music of all time, the sound systems are great.

Talk about irony, eh?

Headphones nowadays are not built for rock or metal.

They overload the bass,and treble settings so stuff like the guitars and cymbals sound shrill in the mix.

Last edited:
I was one of those young rockers that hooked up an ungodly amount of car stereo power and believed in "If you can't crank it, yank it." There's a good chance that whatever I had on was easily heard a mile away with the windows down. I thought that I was cool, but really I was just loud.

For me to complain now would be hypocritical.

Forum List

Back