Why is no one cheering the falling deficit?

You may have not noticed but it's 2014.
PaperBOY just wapred in here from his alternate Universe.

They LOVE. to tell us anything that they can make up for a positive spin on this idiot in the White House.

Folks....WE ARE 17 (Nearly 18) TRILLION IN DEBT!!!!!! The logic on the ongoing deficit being down slightly is like saying "My VISA is maxed out at 17 Trillion but it's OK, because my MasterCard is actually going down by $50 Bucks!"

My god - Wake the hell up!!!! :cuckoo:

I take your point, but if you had to negotiate with 100 other people over what costs on your VISA were going to be cut, and no one wanted their stuff cut, you have to see it would be a bigger task. And as I've noted before, no elected official gets a cookie for cutting items from the budget. All their support comes from adding things to it.

Bush added about $1.5 trillion to the deficit, and so far Obama has cut $1 trillion. In light of that, and of the spiraling economy he started with, yes, I think that's something of an achievement.

They LOVE. to tell us anything that they can make up for a positive spin on this idiot in the White House.

Folks....WE ARE 17 (Nearly 18) TRILLION IN DEBT!!!!!! The logic on the ongoing deficit being down slightly is like saying "My VISA is maxed out at 17 Trillion but it's OK, because my MasterCard is actually going down by $50 Bucks!"

I take your point, but if you had to negotiate with 100 other people over what costs on your VISA were going to be cut, and no one wanted their stuff cut, you have to see it would be a bigger task. And as I've noted before, no elected official gets a cookie for cutting items from the budget. All their support comes from adding things to it.

Bush added about $1.5 trillion to the deficit, and so far Obama has cut $1 trillion. In light of that, and of the spiraling economy he started with, yes, I think that's something of an achievement.
And THAT is why ladies and GENTS...WE ARE where we are...FUCK doing the right and just thing...ALL for the sake of 'bringing home the bacon' for POLITICS/ELECTION purposes....And YES Bush did a lot BAD...Obama Added to it. YOU may STOP here.:eusa_hand:

FY2013 deficit : -$679B

While this is down significantly from Obama's first deficit of -$1,412B*, it is still amost 50% higher than GWB's highest deficit of $458B (FY2008).

So... if all of that "good work" and "progreess" gives you hope and qualiifies as "change", feel free to pat The Obama on the back.

Just remember:
The national debt was 10,626,877,048,913.08 whn GWB left offce.
Its risen 6,810,997,211,499.10 (64.92%) since then - every single dollar of which was spent by choice.

* FY2009 budget deficit. FY2009 budget was signed into law by The Obama in Marh 2009.
This is incorrect.
No. It is absolutely correct.
You can excuse it however you want, but it is still correct.
All of it.
Including the part where Obama signed the FY2009 budget into law.

I don't recall the numbers (so don't go apeshit on me) but when Bush left office, the National Debt was (something like) 10-11 Trillion dollars. It is now nearly 18 Trillion.

Call me when we see it go down even one penny.

Either the national debt goes down (whether either side likes it or not) and the unfunded mandates are cut back from the IMPOSSIBLE 271 TRILLION dollars, or we will experience the greatest depression the WORLD has ever seen, let alone America.

This horseshit is absolutely unsustainable. If an idiot like ME can put two and two together, why the HELL can't the morons that we send to DC not figure this simple logic out? Apparently they are all using common core.

Oppies..

Has anyone noticed that the U.S. budget deficit has plunged by nearly $1 trillion since its peak in 2009? Probably not.

It has become a politically inconvenient truth that budget deficits will only grow and never decline, and yet, an astounding $1 trillion dollars has been hacked from the annual shortfall.

Read More › CBO estimates lower deficits as health subsidies fall

The winding down of two decade-long wars, fiscal restraint, stronger than forecast economic growth, hence higher tax receipts, and higher tax rates, have all contributed to a very significant decline in government red ink.

And it certainly has defied conventional wisdom in Washington that wrongly suggested that such a turnabout was even remotely possible.

Recall the prevailing wisdom on budget deficits just five short years ago. This report from the Washington Post, July 24th, 2010, suggests that trillion-dollar deficits would become the norm after "The Great Recession," not the exception:

"The latest forecast from the White House budget office shows the deficit rising to $1.47 trillion this year, forcing the government to borrow 41 cents of every dollar it spends. Contrary to official projections, the budget gap will not begin to narrow much in 2011, because of an unexpectedly big drop in tax receipts … The White House predicted Friday it will not dip below 8 percent until the end of 2012."
The Congressional Budget Office is cutting its estimates of the U.S. deficit to $492 billion due to lower-than-expected Obamacare premiums, reports CNBC's Eamon Javers.

Oops! The deficit peaked in 2009 and has been on a rapid downward trajectory ever since.
Why is no one cheering the falling deficit??economy?Commentary!
There goes that "big spending" argument..

:D

Because we can read.

Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2011 to 2021 - CBO

Yes the deficit is falling, but it was to high for to long & the debt is still climbing.

fredgraph.png

Last edited:
Yeah, it doesn't look like it's going down to me...

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Indeed. Good Ol Barry claims he is "reducing the deficit" yet the National Debt continues to climb. Now, if I'm not mistaken, when I pay my mortgage each month, the amount I owe goes down. So, in essence, rather than the debt going down, it continues to rise.

I call Shenanigans. :D

The deficit is not the debt. And government budgets in no way compare to household budgets. Households can't print money & Government never has to pay off it's debt.

Yeah, it doesn't look like it's going down to me...

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Indeed. Good Ol Barry claims he is "reducing the deficit" yet the National Debt continues to climb. Now, if I'm not mistaken, when I pay my mortgage each month, the amount I owe goes down. So, in essence, rather than the debt going down, it continues to rise.

The deficit is not the debt. And government budgets in no way compare to household budgets. Households can't print money & Government never has to pay off it's debt.

Well sir, we'll see the day Red China comes calling for their payment. Right now, we only pay the INTEREST on that debt. It's coming, and not too far in the future...

You want to know what the definition of "Armegeddon" is? Stay tuned.

I don't recall the numbers (so don't go apeshit on me) but when Bush left office, the National Debt was (something like) 10-11 Trillion dollars. It is now nearly 18 Trillion.

Either the national debt goes down (whether either side likes it or not) and the unfunded mandates are cut back from the IMPOSSIBLE 271 TRILLION dollars, or we will experience the greatest depression the WORLD has ever seen, let alone America.

This horseshit is absolutely unsustainable. If an idiot like ME can put two and two together, why the HELL can't the morons that we send to DC not figure this simple logic out? Apparently they are all using common core.

At the end of FY2009 (Bush's last budget) the debt was nearly $12 trillion (small difference from what you said), but you're right, it's too high. I wish Obama had been President enough these last six years to bring it back to normal. Still, it's worth noting what he HAS done, because it's more motivation for politicians to cut the budget if they see voters rewarding those already doing it

Last edited:

Well sir, we'll see the day Red China comes calling for their payment. Right now, we only pay the INTEREST on that debt. It's coming, and not too far in the future...

China is still buying more US debt even after the deficit explosion. If the deficit gets to zero & we still owe the $18 Trillion debt after the next 30 years. Countries will be clambering to buy US debt. Climbing deficits cause inflation, not sterilized debt. Inflation is created the moment money is borrowed, deflation happens when it is paid back. Little happens if the debt is stable.

Last edited:

At the end of FY2009 (Bush's last budget) the debt was nearly $12 trillion, but you're right, it's too high. I wish Obama had been President enough these last six years to bring it back to normal. Still, it's worth noting what he HAS done, because it's more motivation for politicians to cut the budget if they see voters rewarding those already doing it

Here's where you and I part company. That idiot Obama could not pour piss out of a boot if the directions were printed on the heel. Obama operates on the "theory" of big government - probably why, since the day he "took over" the government has been the only enterprise that has grown - to monstrous size.

Obama is a substitute teacher posing as a president. His reign will soon be over. Perhaps then we might get a president who understands WHY our standing in the world has become a laughing stock. It's extremely hard to flourish under the notion that we are a "world power" when this poseur has done everything in his power to diminish our nation.

Obama operates on the "theory" of big government - probably why, since the day he "took over" the government has been the only enterprise that has grown - to monstrous size.

What fantasy land do you go to make this shit up or get your information from. :lol:

At the end of FY2009 (Bush's last budget) the debt was nearly $12 trillion, but you're right, it's too high. I wish Obama had been President enough these last six years to bring it back to normal. Still, it's worth noting what he HAS done, because it's more motivation for politicians to cut the budget if they see voters rewarding those already doing it

That idiot Obama could not pour piss out of a boot if the directions were printed on the heel.

I laughed.

I disagree with the other points in your post, but that's for another thread.

Indeed. And WE have empty pockets...the LOT of us. The Deficit/Debt/Unfunded Mandates? The ChiComs are going to DEMAND payment...in whatever form...ARE WE willing to go to WAR with them over it? CAN we afford it?

People never look ahead...before they make decisions...including our politicians...such short-sightedness...the bottom is going to fall out of this mess...and my advice to people is BE READY. Many things are going to become hard to come by...PREPARE.

Obama operates on the "theory" of big government - probably why, since the day he "took over" the government has been the only enterprise that has grown - to monstrous size.

What fantasy land do you go to make this shit up or get your information from. :lol:

So I suppose that now, you'll tell me all about how Obama has been a "friend, of business, right?

Another one for the nazi column. :mad:

Indeed. And WE have empty pockets...the LOT of us. The Deficit/Debt/Unfunded Mandates? The ChiComs are going to DEMAND payment...in whatever form...ARE WE willing to go to WAR with them over it? CAN we afford it?

People never look ahead...before they make decisions...including our politicians...such short-sightedness...the bottom is going to fall out of this mess...and my advice to people is BE READY. Many things are going to become hard to come by...PREPARE.

Well, not looking ahead has always been the downfall of the pseudo-intellectual who roots for the destruction of the US.

Thick-headed Nazis.

Oppies..

Has anyone noticed that the U.S. budget deficit has plunged by nearly $1 trillion since its peak in 2009? Probably not.

It has become a politically inconvenient truth that budget deficits will only grow and never decline, and yet, an astounding $1 trillion dollars has been hacked from the annual shortfall.

Read More › CBO estimates lower deficits as health subsidies fall

The winding down of two decade-long wars, fiscal restraint, stronger than forecast economic growth, hence higher tax receipts, and higher tax rates, have all contributed to a very significant decline in government red ink.

And it certainly has defied conventional wisdom in Washington that wrongly suggested that such a turnabout was even remotely possible.

Recall the prevailing wisdom on budget deficits just five short years ago. This report from the Washington Post, July 24th, 2010, suggests that trillion-dollar deficits would become the norm after "The Great Recession," not the exception:

"The latest forecast from the White House budget office shows the deficit rising to $1.47 trillion this year, forcing the government to borrow 41 cents of every dollar it spends. Contrary to official projections, the budget gap will not begin to narrow much in 2011, because of an unexpectedly big drop in tax receipts … The White House predicted Friday it will not dip below 8 percent until the end of 2012."
The Congressional Budget Office is cutting its estimates of the U.S. deficit to $492 billion due to lower-than-expected Obamacare premiums, reports CNBC's Eamon Javers.

Oops! The deficit peaked in 2009 and has been on a rapid downward trajectory ever since.
Why is no one cheering the falling deficit??economy?Commentary!

There goes that "big spending" argument..

:D

Because most of us are smart enough to know that reducing the deficit still adds to the debt.

We've been trying to teach the rest of you this simple mathematical concept but apparently to no avail.

Grow the economy more than the debt, and you reduce the debt. I realize that is a very difficult concept for many to understand, but that is what is important. We will never pay off today's debt with today's dollars.

Forum List

Back