why is the sky blue?

trevorjohnson83

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2015
So everyone says Rayleigh scattering. Other causes: Gravitational blue shift, density of the atmosphere, how much the sun heats the atmosphere. I wonder since the sky is red on planets beyond earth, perhaps the sun is a red star, meaning it's on its oxygen burning stage?

So everyone says Rayleigh scattering. Other causes: Gravitational blue shift, density of the atmosphere, how much the sun heats the atmosphere. I wonder since the sky is red on planets beyond earth, perhaps the sun is a red star, meaning it's on its oxygen burning stage?
I believe the sky is also blue on mars for part of the day. Depends on the atmosphere and distance light waves travel through it. Blue light is the shorter wavelength and scatters more. The reds and yellows are longer wavelength and cover a greater distance

I just assumed it was because of all the water, but not sure.

I just assumed it was because of all the water, but not sure.
It’s light waves… what we see is affected by heat, distance atmosphere etc. visually it does seem like it’s just reflecting the ocean water but it’s the opposite. Ocean water is clear. Green maybe with algae. It only looks blue because of the sky

Gravitational shift is to the red spectrum. The average absorption of energy of the gas in the atmosphere gives it a blue hue.

It is every color except blue. What you see is what is reflected away.

So everyone says Rayleigh scattering. Other causes
Other causes according to who?
Gravitational blue shift
At any given moment, the Earth and the Sun are extremely close to equilibrium. There is no gravity to cause a shift.
density of the atmosphere
Density can alter the magnitude of other effects but does nothing on its own. It's like saying the color of your dog's hair determines its weight.
how much the sun heats the atmosphere.
The blue of the sky has no temperature dependence.
I wonder since the sky is red on planets beyond earth, perhaps the sun is a red star, meaning it's on its oxygen burning stage?
The Martian sky is reddish from suspended dust. If the sun were in its oxygen burning stage, it would be obvious to us from its spectrum.

Forum List

Back