Why Shouldn't Potential Employers Know Your Grades?

The only time grades are relevant to an employer is when the job requires a very high level of intellectual superiority beyond the mere acquisition of a diploma, and there is no job experience to cite. I am reminded of the question, "What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class in medical school?". The answer, "Doctor".

That being said, once you get your foot in the door and have a few years of work under your belt, grades cease to matter.

The only time grades are relevant to an employer is when the job requires a very high level of intellectual superiority beyond the mere acquisition of a diploma, and there is no job experience to cite. I am reminded of the question, "What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class in medical school?". The answer, "Doctor".

That being said, once you get your foot in the door and have a few years of work under your belt, grades cease to matter.

Grades are also indicative of a work ethic.

I've been asked for transcripts. It's just another bit of information on a job applicant. Why hide it?

They can be, that is true. Not every time though, because some students work harder for a B than some work for an A.

Public service is not the same as private enterprise. Perhaps a person standing for elected office might be justifiably requested to furnish what otherwise would be considered intimate, private information.

They can be, that is true. Not every time though, because some students work harder for a B than some work for an A.

Nothing wrong with a "B".

I remember high school administrators telling us kids that future employers were going to look at our high school attendance record. What a bunch of bullshit! lol.

Grades don't mean diddly has been my experience in business. What matters is one's ability to apply what they've learned in the real working world.

I once canned a CFO with a Wharton School pedigree who was flat out incompetent. We appointed his assistant to keep an eye on things while we started a search for the guy's replacement, but after a while it became clear the assistant was a real whiz and promoted him to the position instead. He only had a state college undergrad degree in accounting but he knew how to apply what he'd learned was very successful.

Forum List

Back