Why were 90s kids less creative than 80s kids?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I've noticed that lot of the greatest video game and sci fi creators were people who were Dungeons & Dragons players during the 1980s.

Old Bioware, the guy who made Bioshock, James S.A. Corey, etc.

Why aren't we seeing more people who were students in 90s American schools creating video games or other geek stuff?

Did something in the American education system change that caused 90s kids to be less creative?

Was there another backlash against Dungeons & Dragons during the 90s?

Did parenting styles of the 90s had a effect on the creativity of 90s kids?

4c56435c-741b-43fd-95aa-5e960ba3f920-jpeg.256269

I've noticed that lot of the greatest video game and sci fi creators were people who were Dungeons & Dragons players during the 1980s.

Why aren't we seeing more people who were students in 90s American schools creating video games or other geek stuff?

Did something in the American education system change that caused 90s kids to be less creative?

Could it be fluoridated water?
How about rise in use of ADHD drugs?
Maybe they did not have to be creative, intelligent or good at anything to be praised and given a participation trophy, as reward for being mediocre?

DnD was more popular in the 80s. It became vilified as a statanic game and it also became known as a game for dorks, so it had a dip in the 90's. I played DnD in the 80's and I still play with the same group of guys today.

Never mind the 90s

Even though I was not alive then.....I think 1930s and 40s kids.... etc... were more intelligent and creative than today morons LOL

DnD was more popular in the 80s. It became vilified as a statanic game and it also became known as a game for dorks, so it had a dip in the 90's. I played DnD in the 80's and I still play with the same group of guys today.

I played military sim games a lot, and the DnD crowd usually had a couple of tables in the same game rooms. We would play when there weren't any history gamers available that day. I always equated DnD clubs with military bases and universities, as it seemed every base and campus had such a group or two. Sometimes it was absolutely hilarious. Only a few seemed to be dorks and geeks, and those were at the university..

Last edited:

It could be that games on Atari and Mac, like Zelda and such, created the game that kids had to walk through. Not much creative thinking when every thing is done for you in games.

The internet was a big contributor to lack of creativity. Cable tv, the earliest forms of social media, more software to do the work of people and so on ruined creativity.

It became more about passively absorbing things instead of actively creating things.

And about finding easier ways of doing things like say comic books even used to require good stories, good ideas and hand drawing everything. Now comics are drawn on computers and the stories and characters are lazier. Used to it took me 30 or 40 minutes to read, now I go through one in 10 minutes because most panels have little artwork and 1/4 of the dialogue to read.

The easier you make things the easier it to not work and exercise your brain. Ease breeds laziness. Laziness in turn makes people want to do things in less time with less effort.

Rock music was better in 60’s/70’s than today

And the movies also

Forum List

Back