WHY were our Security forces 100% surprised by the Boston Marathon bombs???

They knew something was up. There were bomb sniffing dogs and Security running up and down that finish line. They told people not to be alarmed it was "only training"

I'm not sure that is a sign they knew something. It sounds like SOP to me. But my question would be is this: If that was the case why were there no bombs found by the dogs? And why didn't the evacuate the area?
Well assuming this did in fact happen (dogs and security) then one of two things happened. #1 the bombs were placed AFTER they walked through those areas or #2 the dogs didn't sniff them out. If #2 is the case that would beg the question of "why did the dogs miss them?" I don't know how close dogs need to be to a bomb to detect them, so maybe they were not close enough? I don't know.

Both these scenarios answer the question of why no one was evacuated. It states the obvious.....nothing turned up.

I'm going with theory #1 (assuming this happened)

With the tens of millions of crazies around the world who have made it a virtual hobby to shout, "Death to America," and the huge number of people living right here with similar mentalities, the microscopic number of incidents and injuries since 9/11 is a testament to a JOB WELL DONE.

Any crackpot with a computer and a couple hundred bucks can figure out how to make and plant a bomb, and the number of targets is almost infinite. Do you have any idea how much territory is included in a 26 mile footrace, including all observation venues? Jesus.

The number of inviting venues that exist EVERY DAY - not even limiting oneself to college football games, marathons, rock concerts and so on. Think about crowded subway stations, schools, office buildings. It is a MIRACLE that the number of incidents has been so small.

What kind of a mental vacuity could even post the inane point that this isolated incident is an example of DHS not doing its job? If there were a death penalty for plain, stark, catatonic stupidity, this jerk would be on death fucking row.

What do you suggest, proctology exams for anyone walking down the street?
I would say in this case, they should have been searching people going into the finish line area where there were many people congregated.
I have to admit, being this event is a world wide event, they should have been better prepared in this post 9/11 era.

I am shocked, shocked, that there were policeman and bomb sniffing dogs at a sporting event with thousands of spectators. I'm also shocked that they failed to terrorist attack.

Sarcasm aside. Now I will be really po'ed for real if it turns out law enforcement had some prior warning and didn't alter how people could view the finish line ... or even where the finish was. They can't guard a 25 mile course, but they can guard the place where most of the people will line up ... and move them back.

The bombs were made from schrapnel filled pressure cookers and were of a kind frequently used in Afghanistan.

Playing Devil's advocate here, since the Sept. 11, 2001, 2,333,972 American military personnel had been deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan or both, as of Aug. 30,2011. So there are quite a few veterans that would know about that type of bomb. Maybe one of them didn't like the way they got treated at a VA hospital.

It is way to early to place the blame on anyone using only the facts that have been released so far.

So nobody has any explanation for how the DHS "professionals" could have missed bombs put in the most obvious places before a major national sporting event, and not had the slightest clue anything was going on?

How do you know the bombs were placed before the event? If an egg timer was used, then the bombs were placed only one hour prior to blowing up, at most.

They were over four hours into the marathon when the explosions occurred.

"Its a bright, warm, sunny day in April, 2009. The War On Terror is over!" Janet Napolitano.

Security was so lax , it was criminal. Bomb sniffing dogs, but no metal detectors, the smell of explosives tightly sealed by the vessel's gasketing, young male Saudi students pushing baby strollers with no babies, back packs galore, exceedingly liberal placement of garbage pails. We flew out of JFK the Saturday after GWB went into Iraq in 2003. You couldn't find a garbage pail, anywhere.
Bostonians, being good 'Fellow Travelers', wanted to believe Janet with all their might, after all isn't a holiday exclusively for the pursuit of their personal pleasure and relaxation and wasn't their benevolent master, Barack, in charge?

Shortly after Newtown, Richard Miniter relayed the story of Lindisfarne, a very wealthy eighth century monastery perched on top of a rocky spire connected to the English coastline by a tidal causeway. The Monks who inhabited the monastery eschewed any form or means of protection for themselves or the wealth in their custody. Their Christian goodness would suffice. The Viking marauders who came intent on slaughtering the monks and looting the monastery's wealth, climbed the rocky spire with their swords clenched between their teeth that fatal night.

Hey. Look on the bright side. Nobody got killed by those evil guns. Not one single assault weapon used. Comrade Dannel Malloy and Andy Cuomo should be happy.

Forum List

Back