Windfarms can kill Eagles for 30 years

How many hundreds of millions of animals do we kill every year?
How many millions die in your fithy oil spills? Birds, fish, insects, mammals. You always defend that as you understand there's a price to pay for civilization.
How many thousands of people die from diseases like cancer from pollution from coal and oil?
How many mountain tops are clear cut and animals left to die?

All seen as acceptable to the right as it is used to heat our homes and for unlimited freedom towards drive our cars around town without thought. I also realize this as the price of civilization...

So we're going to start going down the path of killing energy sources over a small number of birds??? I won't be dumb enough to do the same against oil, natural gas or coal as I realize we're still some time away from fully transitioning away from those sources of energy...Knowing damn well and accepting the price. The choice is less of a price, not that there will ever be none.

So we do it because the energy corporations want to do it this way, so we roll over and accept it?

Because one gets away with it, the other guy also gets a pass?

Your stand is that of the oil companies.

You just prefer wind.

So are you going to turn totally against the oil, natural gas and coal companies for killing animals? These sources also cause diseases that lead to thousands of people dying every year but you don't seem to give a damn.

The choice is do we want a cleaner source or not? Why is it so bad?

It is ugly to see thousands of square miles of windmills scar our land. You can drive for hours along the Columbia river and see those damn things mar the scenery.

Have you thought about solar? That's clean.

BTW, don't give me your self righteous, I don't give a damn BS. You don't know me, you have no idea of my life experience, so please stay on topic.

Also wind is not efficient source of energy.

So we do it because the energy corporations want to do it this way, so we roll over and accept it?

Because one gets away with it, the other guy also gets a pass?

Your stand is that of the oil companies.

You just prefer wind.

So are you going to turn totally against the oil, natural gas and coal companies for killing animals? These sources also cause diseases that lead to thousands of people dying every year but you don't seem to give a damn.

It is ugly to see thousands of square miles of windmills scar our land. You can drive for hours along the Columbia river and see those damn things mar the scenery.

BTW, don't give me your self righteous, I don't give a damn BS. You don't know me, you have no idea of my life experience, so please stay on topic.

1. Better then seeing tens miles of clear cut of our forest for coal. Or oceans filled with oil...
2. Far cleaner then coal, natural gas or oil that is for damn sure. At least solar is within a controlled environment.
3. Well, you're attacking wind for killing birds but you're ok with everything else for killing animals. Let me know when you go protesting the next oil spill and fuck off about staying on topic as this has very much to do with it.

Tell that to China or much of northern Europe. lol

Last edited:

1. Better then seeing tens miles of clear cut of our forest for coal. Or oceans filled with oil...
2. Far cleaner then coal, natural gas or oil that is for damn sure. At least solar is within a controlled environment.
3. Well, you're attacking wind for killing birds but you're ok with everything else for killing animals. Let me know when you go protesting the next oil spill and fuck off about staying on topic as this has very much to do with it.

Did I say I was okay with any of it? So you fuck off!

So where have you been protesting? Please let me know Mr. Environmental! Just dates times and places will be fine. My guess is you never have and never will. You are a fraud, expecting others to do and you just post you uneducated BS.

It's not an either or issue, but you seem to be all about black and white.

It is not about oil or wind power, it is about the government taking another payoff. Why so you think they are going to dismiss killing birds for 30 year? And so you honestly think in 30 years the government or anyone else will give a fuck?

Wait a minute here. Aren't you the idiot who thinks that covering over an area the size of AUSTRALIA with solar panels is OK?

Pull your head out of your self righteous, sanctimonious, flat earther ass there buckwheat. You asshats have done far more environmental damage in the last 20 years than big oil has. FAR more.

More of the special "government by waivers and exemptions" that Obama has practiced for "his friends"...

For wind power, U.S. extends permit for eagle deaths | The Morning Sentinel, Waterville, ME

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration will allow companies to seek authorization to kill and harm bald and golden eagles for up to 30 years without penalty in an effort to balance some of the environmental trade-offs of green energy.

click image to enlargeA golden eagle flies over a wind turbine at a Duke Energy wind farm in Converse County, Wyo., in this April 18, 2013, photo.

The change, requested by the wind energy industry and officially revealed Friday, will provide legal protection for the lifespan of wind farms and other projects that obtain a permit and do everything possible to avoid killing the birds. Companies will also have to commit to take additional measures if they exceed their permit limits or if new information suggests eagle populations are being affected.

But the rule makes clear that revoking a permit is a last resort.

“We anticipate that implementing additional mitigation measures ... will reduce the likelihood of amendments to, or revocation of, the permit,” the rule reads.

Right now, as an AP investigation has documented, wind farms are killing eagles in violation of the law. Not a single wind energy company has a permit authorizing the killing, harm or harassment of eagles, although five-year permits have been available since 2009. That puts companies at legal risk and discourages private investment in renewable energy.

It also doesn’t help eagles, since without a permit, companies are not required to take steps to reduce their impact on the birds or report when they kill them.

Conservation groups, which have been aligned with the wind industry on other issues, said Friday the decision by the Interior Department sanctioned the killing of America’s symbol.

“Instead of balancing the need for conservation and renewable energy, Interior wrote the wind industry a blank check,” Audubon President and CEO David Yarnold said in a statement. The group said it would challenge the decision.

Bout time the Audubon Society had its feathers ruffled..

And to you apologists for this carnage.. This is NOT ABOUT NUMBERS of generic bird kills..
It's about specific NON-MIGRATORY species and DENIAL OF THEIR HABITAT...

A wind farm will decimate the local raptor population for miles around. Any TRUE environmentalist would know this.. That leaves out Matthew, GoldiRocks, and TrollingBlunder...

If you think WE'RE being hypocrital --- you better check out how much money the Audobon Society is getting from the oil companies.. That argument just doesn't "fly" here.. In fact --- LOTS of oil and energy company money behind wind investments.

You're not even making sense with your DENIAL of outrage...

With no penalty....well some of them, no doubt friends of the Big O. 30 years should be enough to kill off most of them. Good job fake environmentalists... Assholes..

"SEATTLE — In a decision that highlights the clash between two cherished environmental goals — producing green energy and preserving protected wildlife — federal officials announced Friday that some wind power companies will be allowed to kill or injure bald and golden eagles for up to 30 years without penalty.

Conservation groups decried the Obama administration's new regulation as a "stunningly bad move" for wildlife, but wind industry officials said Friday that the rules from the Department of the Interior were far from a "free ride."

"Instead of balancing the need for conservation and renewable energy, Interior wrote the wind industry a blank check," National Audubon Society President David Yarnold said in a statement. "It's outrageous that the government is sanctioning the killing of America's symbol, the bald eagle."

Wind farms get extended leeway on eagle deaths - latimes.com

Why are you acting like you give a fuck about eagles?

You must've missed the other 5 or 6 threads made by republicans who all of a sudden want to save the eagles.

Who knows maybe it's in earnest! Save the eagles! Stand by your sudden convictions!
Everybody on or even near the Republican aisle cares about the National Bird of the United States of America.

Pass it on. ;)

And you think you should block windmills to do so even thought that's probably number 20 or so in the list of human activities that kill eagles.

With no penalty....well some of them, no doubt friends of the Big O. 30 years should be enough to kill off most of them. Good job fake environmentalists... Assholes..

"SEATTLE — In a decision that highlights the clash between two cherished environmental goals — producing green energy and preserving protected wildlife — federal officials announced Friday that some wind power companies will be allowed to kill or injure bald and golden eagles for up to 30 years without penalty.

Conservation groups decried the Obama administration's new regulation as a "stunningly bad move" for wildlife, but wind industry officials said Friday that the rules from the Department of the Interior were far from a "free ride."

"Instead of balancing the need for conservation and renewable energy, Interior wrote the wind industry a blank check," National Audubon Society President David Yarnold said in a statement. "It's outrageous that the government is sanctioning the killing of America's symbol, the bald eagle."

Why are you acting like you give a fuck about eagles?

You must've missed the other 5 or 6 threads made by republicans who all of a sudden want to save the eagles.

Who knows maybe it's in earnest! Save the eagles! Stand by your sudden convictions!
Sudden? Mr. flacaltenn has contributed several posts to the only ornithology thread at USMB: http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-outdoors/210840-wild-side-peckers-comparison-club.html

I stand by my convictions of many years being a bird lover and participating on forums all over the web. AND my audobon society 2014 bird calendar arrived just last week.

Companies can seek government authorization to kill eagles in the interest of green energy, including the wind energy industry.

And of course with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid's relatives benefiting so heavily from the Green Energy companies who owe their souls to the Donkey Party, the Obama Administration is gung-ho on killing the National Bird. They know nobody will ever challenge them on that because all they have to do is pull out Lady Macbeth's I mean, First Lady Hillary Clinton's blacklist of Democrat challengers and start the spinfest. They will, anyway at election time, because their only goal is power, Republicans are just inconveniences in their road. But you know that already. :tongue:

Wait a minute here. Aren't you the idiot who thinks that covering over an area the size of AUSTRALIA with solar panels is OK?

Pull your head out of your self righteous, sanctimonious, flat earther ass there buckwheat. You asshats have done far more environmental damage in the last 20 years than big oil has. FAR more.

Obama has brought shame to the image that graces the Presidential Shield:

th
It must take a hell of a lot of nerve to tell other people to just shoot them. :evil:
.​
Yet, he tells them hubris like that behind the Eagle Presidential Shield that used to protect all things National. Doesn't he know they were endangered a few decades back?​

Last edited:
A oil guy attacking something that kills 20 times less then his favorite source. LOL.

Yes, making energy is going to KILL animals. Fine balance we have to make and I believe with the new radars going into place that less are now being killed.
I'm not an "oil guy" Matthew.

LOLOLOLOL......good one, walleyed....now pull my other leg......

You're rather obviously one of the biggest stooges for the oil industry posting on this forum, walleyed, as the rest of your post here demonstrates. As do most of the rest of your crackpot, reality-deficient posts.

And I am in favor of alternatives, but only if they do less environmental harm than that which they are replacing and are at least as efficient as that which they replace. Wind and solar are neither.

Actually, as is completely obvious to anyone with a functioning brain, wind and solar are both more efficient and less environmentally harmful than fossil fuels, you poor brainwashed moron.

And windfarms kill more critters in a year than big oil has killed in 100.

But you're not an "oil guy", are you, walleyed? LOLOLOL.

And this report below isn't even touching on the vast number of birds killed in the frequent oil spills.

Actions by Feds Cut Annual Bird Deaths in Oil and Gas Fields by Half, Saving Over One Million Birds From Grisly Death
American Bird Conservancy
January 3, 2013
MEDIA RELEASE
(excerpts)
(Washington, D.C.) According to a recently released policy document from the Interior Department’s Bureau of Land Management (BLM), migratory bird deaths at oil and gas operation waste pits have been reduced by 50 -75 percent in the last 15 years, saving an estimated one to one and a half million birds from grisly deaths caused by their landing in chemical-laden waste water pits associated with oil and gas operations. The policy document says that bird mortality has been reduced from about two million per year in 1997 to between five hundred thousand and one million per year today.

The IM targets a common bird mortality threat in oil and gas operations – open, fluid-filled pits. It references the Wyoming Ecological Services Field Office of the FWS who states that “Deterrents (to birds landing in these deadly, chemical-laden pits) such as flagging, strobe lights, metal reflectors and noise makers are not effective at preventing bird mortalities from occurring in oil pits.” The FWS office has stated further that “Oil industry regulators that recommend flagging to oil operators as a bird deterrent for oil pits place the oil operators at risk for prosecution under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.” The FWS recommends solutions to the open pit problem and states that “…netting appears to be the most effective method of keeping birds from entering wastewater evaporation ponds and skim pits.”

Last edited:

So, walleyed, you've glommed onto one of the latest propaganda ploys that the fossil fuel industry is trying to use to attack the clean renewable energy sources that threaten their dominance of the energy market and, of course, their profits. Why am I not surprised?

Although everyone involved regrets the bird deaths being caused by some of the wind turbines, which the turbine designers and operators are working hard to prevent, the number of bird deaths due to the wind turbines is extremely minuscule compared to all of the other bird deaths that humans are responsible for. The extraction, processing and refining, and burning of fossil fuels kills orders of magnitude more birds than the wind turbines do. Also unchecked global warming from the use of fossil fuels, which the clean renewable energy wind turbines can help offset, will eventually kill tens of thousands of times as many birds as the wind turbines do now and may well drive some bird species into extinction.

Federal Study Highlights Spike in Eagle Deaths at Wind Farms
National Geographic
by Patrick J. Kiger
September 12, 2013
(excerpts)
A newly published study by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service researchers says that wind energy facilities have killed at least 85 golden and bald eagles between 1997 and 2012—and that eagle fatalities possibly may be much higher. The study also indicates that eagle deaths have increased dramatically in recent years as the nation has turned increasingly to wind farms as a source of renewable, low-pollution energy, with nearly 80 percent of the fatalities occurring between 2008 and 2012 alone. (See related post: “Wind Farm Faces Fine Over Golden Eagle’s Death.”) The study, published in the September issue of Journal of Raptor Research, is one of the first efforts to calculate the injuries and deaths suffered by eagles that fly into the blades of horizontal wind turbines. Many of the areas that are promising sources of wind energy unfortunately also overlap with eagle habitats, and eagles are at risk because their senses tend to be focused upon the ground as they look for prey, rather than staring ahead to see spinning blades. Dismemberment or blunt-force trauma from colliding with the turbines seems to be the most common fate for the eagles that fly into the facilities, though at least one eagle was electrocuted.

John Anderson, an official with the American Wind Energy Association, said that the eagle deaths cited in the study only represent an “extremely small portion” of human-caused mortality for both golden and bald eagle species. A statement on the industry association’s website also noted that most eagle fatalities are concentrated at a small number of older wind facilities built in the 1980s, before the interaction of eagles with turbines was well understood. The study found that the majority of the eagle deaths between 1997 and 2012 occurred in Wyoming, which had 29 deaths, and California, which had 27. Oregon came in a distant third with six deaths, and three states—Washington, Colorado and New Mexico—each had five eagles killed during that period. (See related post: “Montana Wind Turbines Give Way to Raptors.”) The researchers warned that the survey most likely understates the number of eagle deaths, because of a lack of rigorous monitoring and reporting. The study also excluded the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area in California, where various studies suggest that between 40 and 116 golden eagles are killed annually, according to a 2006 California Energy Commission report, though recently the farm has shown progress in reducing overall bird deaths. (See related post: “Notorious Altamont Wind Area Becomes Safer for Birds.”) Fish and Wildlife official King said there is a lack of reliable data about overall eagle mortality, but noted that wind energy facilities are just one of numerous risks to the birds, who also die in collisions with power lines and buildings, and are sometimes killed by cars while eating roadkill.

Conspiracies Don’t Kill Birds. People, However, Do.
The New York Times
By LESLIE KAUFMAN
January 17, 2011
(excerpts)
At the beginning of this month when about 5,000 red-winged blackbirds fell from the sky in one night in Arkansas, biologists were called on to put a damper on public speculation about pesticides and secret military tests by reminding everyone how many birds there are and how many die. They often do so as a result of human activity, but in far more mundane and dispiriting ways than conspiracy buffs might imagine. “Five billion birds die in the U.S. every year,” said Melanie Driscoll, a biologist and director of bird conservation for the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi Flyway for the National Audubon Society. That means that on average, 13.7 million birds die in this country every day. This number, while large, needs to be put into context. The federal Fish and Wildlife Service estimates that a minimum of 10 billion birds breed in the United States every year and that as many as 20 billion may be in the country during the fall migratory season.

Even without humans, tens of millions of birds would be lost each year to natural predators and natural accidents — millions of fledglings die during their first attempts at flight. But according to the Fish and Wildlife Service, people have severely complicated the task of survival. Although mortality rates are difficult to calculate for certain, using modeling and other methods like extrapolation from local research findings, the government has come up with estimates of how many birds die from various causes in the United States. Some of the biggest death traps are surprising. Almost everyone has an experience with a pet proudly bringing home a songbird in its jaws. Nationally, domestic and feral cats kill hundreds of millions of birds each year, according to the government. One study done in Wisconsin found that domestic rural cats alone (thus excluding a large number of suburban and urban cats) killed roughly 39 million birds a year. Pesticides kill 72 million birds directly, but an unknown and probably larger number ingest the poisons and die later unseen. Orphaned chicks also go uncounted. And then there is flying into objects, which is most likely what killed the birds in Arkansas. The government estimates that strikes against building windows alone account for anywhere from 97 million to nearly 976 million bird deaths a year. Cars kill another 60 million or so. High-tension transmission and power distribution lines are also deadly obstacles. Extrapolating from European studies, the Fish and Wildlife Service estimates 174 million birds die each year by flying into these wires. None of these numbers take into account the largest killer of birds in America: loss of habitat to development.

I heard it was against the law to kill a Bald Eagle.

Federal Laws that Protect Bald Eagles

Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act

The bald eagle will continue to be protected by the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act even though it has been delisted under the Endangered Species Act. This law, originally passed in 1940, provides for the protection of the bald eagle and the golden eagle (as amended in 1962) by prohibiting the take, possession, sale, purchase, barter, offer to sell, purchase or barter, transport, export or import, of any bald or golden eagle, alive or dead, including any part, nest, or egg, unless allowed by permit
intree.jpg
(16 U.S.C. 668(a); 50 CFR 22). "Take" includes pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, wound, kill, capture, trap, collect, molest or disturb (16 U.S.C. 668c; 50 CFR 22.3). The 1972 amendments increased civil penalties for violating provisions of the Act to a maximum fine of $5,000 or one year imprisonment with $10,000 or not more than two years in prison for a second conviction. Felony convictions carry a maximum fine of $250,000 or two years of imprisonment. The fine doubles for an organization. Rewards are provided for information leading to arrest and conviction for violation of the Act.

Quotation and picture from the Law Library of Congress

Obama administration officials are in contempt, imho.

Shall I blame Obama for your being contemptuous as well?

Last edited:
A oil guy attacking something that kills 20 times less then his favorite source. LOL.

Yes, making energy is going to KILL animals. Fine balance we have to make and I believe with the new radars going into place that less are now being killed.

You're rather obviously one of the biggest stooges for the oil industry posting on this forum, walleyed, as the rest of your post here demonstrates. As do most of the rest of your crackpot, reality-deficient posts.

And I am in favor of alternatives, but only if they do less environmental harm than that which they are replacing and are at least as efficient as that which they replace. Wind and solar are neither.

Actually, as is completely obvious to anyone with a functioning brain, wind and solar are both more efficient and less environmentally harmful than fossil fuels, you poor brainwashed moron.

And this report below isn't even touching on the vast number of birds killed in the frequent oil spills.

Actions by Feds Cut Annual Bird Deaths in Oil and Gas Fields by Half, Saving Over One Million Birds From Grisly Death
January 3, 2013
MEDIA RELEASE
(excerpts)
(Washington, D.C.) According to a recently released policy document from the Interior Department’s Bureau of Land Management (BLM), migratory bird deaths at oil and gas operation waste pits have been reduced by 50 -75 percent in the last 15 years, saving an estimated one to one and a half million birds from grisly deaths caused by their landing in chemical-laden waste water pits associated with oil and gas operations. The policy document says that bird mortality has been reduced from about two million per year in 1997 to between five hundred thousand and one million per year today.

The IM targets a common bird mortality threat in oil and gas operations – open, fluid-filled pits. It references the Wyoming Ecological Services Field Office of the FWS who states that “Deterrents (to birds landing in these deadly, chemical-laden pits) such as flagging, strobe lights, metal reflectors and noise makers are not effective at preventing bird mortalities from occurring in oil pits.” The FWS office has stated further that “Oil industry regulators that recommend flagging to oil operators as a bird deterrent for oil pits place the oil operators at risk for prosecution under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.” The FWS recommends solutions to the open pit problem and states that “…netting appears to be the most effective method of keeping birds from entering wastewater evaporation ponds and skim pits.”

Trolling blunder you are truly, truly amusing. Pitiably stupid, but amusing. Wind and solar aren't as efficient because they are far more expensive to purchase. I know that is difficult for a tiny little brain like yours to comprehend, but here it is suitably dumbed down so that you and your fellow mental cripples can understand.

Efficient = cheap.

Understand?

And you think you should block windmills to do so even thought that's probably number 20 or so in the list of human activities that kill eagles.

You keep on asserting that wind farms don't matter to eagles.

A clear and irrefutable fact is that they matter to the eagles and raptors that have their TERRITORIES and homes invaded by a wind farm.. It then becomes THEIR #1 threat to existence and procreation..

Never before have environmentalists ALLOWED excuses for denying habitat to eagles and raptors --- and we're not gonna start making excuses for killing them and destroying their ranges NOW...

So, walleyed, you've glommed onto one of the latest propaganda ploys that the fossil fuel industry is trying to use to attack the clean renewable energy sources that threaten their dominance of the energy market and, of course, their profits. Why am I not surprised?

Although everyone involved regrets the bird deaths being caused by some of the wind turbines, which the turbine designers and operators are working hard to prevent, the number of bird deaths due to the wind turbines is extremely minuscule compared to all of the other bird deaths that humans are responsible for. The extraction, processing and refining, and burning of fossil fuels kills orders of magnitude more birds than the wind turbines do. Also unchecked global warming from the use of fossil fuels, which the clean renewable energy wind turbines can help offset, will eventually kill tens of thousands of times as many birds as the wind turbines do now and may well drive some bird species into extinction.

Federal Study Highlights Spike in Eagle Deaths at Wind Farms
National Geographic
by Patrick J. Kiger
September 12, 2013
(excerpts)
A newly published study by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service researchers says that wind energy facilities have killed at least 85 golden and bald eagles between 1997 and 2012—and that eagle fatalities possibly may be much higher. The study also indicates that eagle deaths have increased dramatically in recent years as the nation has turned increasingly to wind farms as a source of renewable, low-pollution energy, with nearly 80 percent of the fatalities occurring between 2008 and 2012 alone. (See related post: “Wind Farm Faces Fine Over Golden Eagle’s Death.”) The study, published in the September issue of Journal of Raptor Research, is one of the first efforts to calculate the injuries and deaths suffered by eagles that fly into the blades of horizontal wind turbines. Many of the areas that are promising sources of wind energy unfortunately also overlap with eagle habitats, and eagles are at risk because their senses tend to be focused upon the ground as they look for prey, rather than staring ahead to see spinning blades. Dismemberment or blunt-force trauma from colliding with the turbines seems to be the most common fate for the eagles that fly into the facilities, though at least one eagle was electrocuted.

John Anderson, an official with the American Wind Energy Association, said that the eagle deaths cited in the study only represent an “extremely small portion” of human-caused mortality for both golden and bald eagle species. A statement on the industry association’s website also noted that most eagle fatalities are concentrated at a small number of older wind facilities built in the 1980s, before the interaction of eagles with turbines was well understood. The study found that the majority of the eagle deaths between 1997 and 2012 occurred in Wyoming, which had 29 deaths, and California, which had 27. Oregon came in a distant third with six deaths, and three states—Washington, Colorado and New Mexico—each had five eagles killed during that period. (See related post: “Montana Wind Turbines Give Way to Raptors.”) The researchers warned that the survey most likely understates the number of eagle deaths, because of a lack of rigorous monitoring and reporting. The study also excluded the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area in California, where various studies suggest that between 40 and 116 golden eagles are killed annually, according to a 2006 California Energy Commission report, though recently the farm has shown progress in reducing overall bird deaths. (See related post: “Notorious Altamont Wind Area Becomes Safer for Birds.”) Fish and Wildlife official King said there is a lack of reliable data about overall eagle mortality, but noted that wind energy facilities are just one of numerous risks to the birds, who also die in collisions with power lines and buildings, and are sometimes killed by cars while eating roadkill.

Conspiracies Don’t Kill Birds. People, However, Do.
The New York Times
By LESLIE KAUFMAN
January 17, 2011
(excerpts)
At the beginning of this month when about 5,000 red-winged blackbirds fell from the sky in one night in Arkansas, biologists were called on to put a damper on public speculation about pesticides and secret military tests by reminding everyone how many birds there are and how many die. They often do so as a result of human activity, but in far more mundane and dispiriting ways than conspiracy buffs might imagine. “Five billion birds die in the U.S. every year,” said Melanie Driscoll, a biologist and director of bird conservation for the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi Flyway for the National Audubon Society. That means that on average, 13.7 million birds die in this country every day. This number, while large, needs to be put into context. The federal Fish and Wildlife Service estimates that a minimum of 10 billion birds breed in the United States every year and that as many as 20 billion may be in the country during the fall migratory season.

Even without humans, tens of millions of birds would be lost each year to natural predators and natural accidents — millions of fledglings die during their first attempts at flight. But according to the Fish and Wildlife Service, people have severely complicated the task of survival. Although mortality rates are difficult to calculate for certain, using modeling and other methods like extrapolation from local research findings, the government has come up with estimates of how many birds die from various causes in the United States. Some of the biggest death traps are surprising. Almost everyone has an experience with a pet proudly bringing home a songbird in its jaws. Nationally, domestic and feral cats kill hundreds of millions of birds each year, according to the government. One study done in Wisconsin found that domestic rural cats alone (thus excluding a large number of suburban and urban cats) killed roughly 39 million birds a year. Pesticides kill 72 million birds directly, but an unknown and probably larger number ingest the poisons and die later unseen. Orphaned chicks also go uncounted. And then there is flying into objects, which is most likely what killed the birds in Arkansas. The government estimates that strikes against building windows alone account for anywhere from 97 million to nearly 976 million bird deaths a year. Cars kill another 60 million or so. High-tension transmission and power distribution lines are also deadly obstacles. Extrapolating from European studies, the Fish and Wildlife Service estimates 174 million birds die each year by flying into these wires. None of these numbers take into account the largest killer of birds in America: loss of habitat to development.

I heard it was against the law to kill a Bald Eagle.

Obama administration officials are in contempt, imho.

Shall I blame Obama for your being contemptuous as well?

Should we blame you for being so extremely contemptuous and retarded, Freefrombrains XXXXXXXXXX ?

Wind Farm Faces Fine Over Golden Eagle’s Death
National Geographic
by Christina Nunez
April 3, 2013
(excerpts)
When a golden eagle was killed at the 66-turbine Spring Valley Wind Farm near Ely, Nevada, in February, wind farm operator Pattern Energy reportedly was prompt in notifying authorities of the death and already had mitigation measures in place to protect birds and bats. Regardless, Pattern now faces a $200,000 fine over the incident because the wind facility, which began operating in August last year, does not have a “take permit.” Take permits, which are issued through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, allow for a certain number of incidental deaths of endangered or threatened wildlife species if the permit holder submits a conservation plan that documents measures to protect potentially affected species. Garry George, renewable energy director of Audubon California, which is a National Audubon Society state program, answered our questions via email about golden eagles and the Spring Valley incident.

"Eagle experts tell us that golden eagle populations are declining throughout their range in the contiguous United States from threats including loss of nesting and foraging habitat to energy, housing and other development; lead poisoning from eating carcasses that contain fragments from lead ammunition; and collisions with cars, power lines and wind turbines. Our goal at Audubon is to conserve golden eagles by reducing as many of these threats as we can. Eagles are particularly vulnerable to wind turbine collision because of their flight behavior. They soar along ridges and in winds that can also attract wind developments. They tend to fly at the altitude of the turbine rotor-swept area, especially when they are hunting. And when they are hunting, their senses are focused on the ground looking for prey, not watching for spinning blades. The impact of wind farms on golden eagles became startlingly clear in 2004, when the California Energy Commission conducted a mortality study at Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area’s 5,400 turbines. Estimates of golden eagles killed at the Wind Resource Area are an average of 67 or more per year, along with thousands of other raptors and other birds. So, when the permits at Altamont came up for renewal, our Audubon chapters in the Bay Area stepped up for the eagles and appealed against the renewal of the permits to operate the wind turbines. This action resulted in a settlement with Alameda County and NextEra Energy and other developers to shut off the turbines during key eagle migration periods, and to replace the older turbines with fewer, larger turbines. Recent studies show that this has resulted in a 50 percent decline in eagle mortality at Altamont Pass. (See related post: “Notorious Altamont Wind Area Becomes Safer for Birds.”) There are new turbines being tested now that may be much safer for birds, and new kinds of detection and avoidance technologies can shut down turbines temporarily during specific seasons or weather events or when large birds like golden eagles and California condors are detected nearby. Wind energy is an important component in reducing the impacts of climate change, one of the greatest threats in our lifetime to birds and people alike. But wind energy must be developed and produced in ways that keep golden eagles, and other birds and wildlife, safe."

Last edited by a moderator:
That crap about LARGE turbines being safer to raptors is just that ----- Crap..
And the line about climate change affecting birds is just religious baggage for the Audubon Society.

Too bad these Ely NV idiots didn't obtain a kill permit from Obama.. MOST wind operators are being PROTECTED when there are kills.. These folks are probably guilty of being Republicans..

Goddamn, you're pointing fingers at wind and your oil KILLS 1.5 million birds/year???

Talk about balls.

I would have to disagree with you on that last point, Matt.

It's not "balls" here that we're seeing in fecalhead's clueless comments.

It's extreme retardation coupled with extreme ignorance overlaid with delusional insanity brought on by the massive amounts of brainwashing to which he's subjected himself.

January 3, 2013
MEDIA RELEASE
(excerpts)

Trolling blunder you are truly, truly amusing. Pitiably stupid, but amusing. Wind and solar aren't as efficient because they are far more expensive to purchase. I know that is difficult for a tiny little brain like yours to comprehend, but here it is suitably dumbed down so that you and your fellow mental cripples can understand. Efficient = cheap. Understand?

LOLOLOL....I completely debunk all of your moronic claims and that is what you choose to respond to??? LOLOL.

I swear, walleyed, just when I think you couldn't possibly say anything more delusional and retarded than you already have, you go and manage to achieve a new record low point.

You idiotically claim: "Wind and solar aren't as efficient because they are far more expensive to purchase."

"More expensive" than what exactly, walleyed? More expensive than filling my gas tank a couple of times a week at 50 bucks a pop or more for the rest of my life? More expensive than paying a monthly bill for the natural gas to heat my home and my water every month for the rest of my life? More expensive than paying a large bill for grid electricity every month for the rest of my life? More expensive than having to contribute to the tax money used to clean up the oil spills and mitigate the environmental damages caused by the fossil fuel industry and fund the US Navy ships that protect the oil tankers? More expensive than the cost of the wars we've fought to protect the oil corporation's interests in Mideast oil and protect the flow of oil to our nation so we can continue to send a large fraction of our country's wealth to other countries that mostly hate us?

In the real world, from which you've divorced yourself....

Adding an Electric Car Cut the Payback Point of Our Solar Panel Investment in Half
Bloomberg Business Week
By Kevin C. Tofel
May 13, 2013
(excerpts)
When we discussed our home solar panel project in mid-2011 with friends, one of the first questions everyone asked was, “What’s the payback period before you break even?” The second question, unsurprisingly, was, “How much is it costing you?” but the focus always ended up on the payback. After all, if you’re going to invest in green technology, you’re hoping that at some point in the near future, you get ahead of the game. It turns out that something we didn’t plan for—our Chevrolet Volt—is actually helping us boost the return on investment and cut our payback time in half. In October 2011, we added 41 solar panels to our southern-facing roof in southeastern Pennsylvania. Each panel is rated for 230W of direct current (DC) so that works out to an array of 9.43kW DC. In our family of four, with two work-at-home adults, we average around 7,500 kWh of electricity usage. So the system may be a bit oversized for our needs—about 125 percent—but we planned ahead. It’s a four-bedroom house so we thought the next occupants could have at least one more family member and therefore use more electricity. At the time, we were quoted a price of $5.50 per watt for the project. When you multiply that price times the 9,430 watts of the system, you get the total cost: $51,865. That’s just the gross cost, however. We received a 15 percent federal tax credit for $15,560 and a state rebate check of $7,100, bringing the net cost to around $29,205. Our typical electric bill for a year had been roughly $2,500, which makes the break-even point around 11.7 years.

A year after the solar panels were installed—they generated 13.8 MWh in the first 12 months and you can see the real-time stats here—we opted to add an electric car to our garage. So we traded in an Acura RDX and, after shopping around, replaced it with a 2013 Volt. Since the Acura was our primary vehicle, we racked up miles quickly. Even though we both work from home, my wife and I often drive the two kids to activities or head a few miles into town most days for food or other goods. With the Acura we were averaging about $250 per month on gas as a result. Now, with the same general driving habits, we pay a maximum of $50 on gas in a given month. With the Volt we’ve already turned 7,228 miles in the six months of ownership. That’s normal driving behavior for us: We typically drive about 15,000 miles on the main car. Of those miles, 5,255 have been solely on battery power and the car reports our gas mileage at 125.33 mpg so far. Even though we’re averaging 1,250 miles per month, we’re only filling up the gas tank once—or maybe twice—in a given month. The tank is small too: just over 9 gallons. So what does this do to our solar panel payback? It cuts it nearly in half to around six years. How so? Three-quarters of our driving is powered by electricity. Even with the addition of the Volt, which we charge every night, we still don’t have an electric bill. We’re at the point where we’re much closer to using all of the electricity our panels produce, but we’re not there yet. And we’ve cut down on our gasoline expenditures as a direct result of both the car and the solar panel system, saving around $200 per month that we used to spend. That works out to $2,400 a year in gasoline savings and when added to the $2,500 in electricity bills we’re no longer paying each year, you get $4,900 in net cash-flow savings. Divide that figure into the net cost of the solar panel project and it works out to 5.96 years before break-even.

Goddamn, you're pointing fingers at wind and your oil KILLS 1.5 million birds/year???

Talk about balls.

I would have to disagree with you on that last point, Matt.

It's not "balls" here that we're seeing in fecalhead's clueless comments.

It's extreme retardation coupled with extreme ignorance overlaid with delusional insanity brought on by the massive amounts of brainwashing to which he's subjected himself.
Project much?

Forum List

Back