Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

Actually, I blame Walmart. They should have been prepared.

I also admit that our morals in our society are changing and that is due to a massive influx of immigrants from 3rd world nations as well as a reduced birthrate amongst European Americans.

Then again, the behavior of this crowd could have a lot more to do with economics rather than with race. Let's face it, most people of middle class or upper middle class aren't going to be standing outside walmart on black Friday risking their lives for a deal on a TV.

I guess you've never tried to board a bus in Italy. LOL

"most people of middle class or upper middle class aren't going to be standing outside walmart on black Friday risking their lives for a deal on a TV."

How would that jive with Ravi's example of the stampede at the Who concert?

If you read the Wiki article, people in the hallway and exit doorways died from being trampled to death. They were not on fire and did not suffer from smoke asphyxiation.

You can't seem to understand the difference between running from an inferno and trying to get a cheap plasma TV. Now you're trying to rationalize it. That's both funny and sad.

Actually, I blame Walmart. They should have been prepared.

I also admit that our morals in our society are changing and that is due to a massive influx of immigrants from 3rd world nations as well as a reduced birthrate amongst European Americans.

Then again, the behavior of this crowd could have a lot more to do with economics rather than with race. Let's face it, most people of middle class or upper middle class aren't going to be standing outside walmart on black Friday risking their lives for a deal on a TV.

Cool--Walmart can now be sued for economic discrimination too ! I bet they are really worried. :lol:

I guess you've never tried to board a bus in Italy. LOL

"most people of middle class or upper middle class aren't going to be standing outside walmart on black Friday risking their lives for a deal on a TV."

How would that jive with Ravi's example of the stampede at the Who concert?

Nope, but I've tried to board buses in Mexico. :lol:

Don't know how it jives with the concert, I'm just discussing things here. There was a big black elephant in the room and I was tired of people dancing around it.

You can't seem to understand the difference between running from an inferno and trying to get a cheap plasma TV. Now you're trying to rationalize it. That's both funny and sad.

The fans clogging the main exit knew that their actions would result in death. The bargain crazy shoppers were less aware of the danger than even the Walmart employees were.

Okay, if you don't get it look at a more simple analogy like Ravi's example.

Nope, but I've tried to board buses in Mexico. :lol:

Don't know how it jives with the concert, I'm just discussing things here. There was a big black elephant in the room and I was tired of people dancing around it.

I wasn't dancing around it. My first post points out that the audio portion of the video is ambiguous about whether it is pointing out the stampede was caused by blacks or if it is Black Friday.

Others were faster than you to bring up the racial composition of the crowd. No elephant in the room from what I could see. But maybe discussion of the color of the elephant is the main issue for some.

The fans clogging the main exit knew that their actions would result in death. The bargain crazy shoppers were less aware of the danger than even the Walmart employees were.

Okay, if you don't get it look at a more simple analogy like Ravi's example.

Oh brother. Have you been drinking again?

And Ravi's example is similar to what happened to Wal-Mart. The only difference is they wanted to get front row seats.

Median household income is $94,000 a year. I think that says a lot right there.

I don't know what the median income in our city is but I expect it's a lot closer to $40,000 and we live in a highcost area.

We have no less than 3 tent cities and I bet they aren't even considered in any of our statistics.

We have a lot of immigrants and my neighborhood is made up of all races and we have a great neighborhood. However, it's not the same all over our city. We have areas that are occupied by mainly Koreans. They have their own churches, their own stores, and they really look at you funny if you have the audacity to enter their store. We have Russians, a lot of them and they have their own communities, their own stores, heck they even steal bread from the foodbank to sell in their own restaurants.

Don't know about any Hispanic communities yet, they are new to our city (the last 5 or so years). I do know that Hispanics have told some of my friends to leave the city as they are taking over, but I haven't been to any Hispanic community yet. Then again, I don't go door to door like I used to.

I moved into this neighborhood 42 years ago. I was 9 years old and there were horses in our neighborhood. Now we are the sixth largest city in Washington and well on our way to being the 5th largest city. We have a city council that is more concerned with making us a big city than making us a livable city. They keep raising our utilities taxes because that doesn't have to go before the voters. We became a city because we found out 95% of the taxes collected here went to the county. You would think that with all that money remaining in the city that they wouldn't have to raise our taxes, that our taxes would go down. WRONG! Our city council is already as greedy as those in the big politics.

I doubt your cost-of-living is comparable. I work in a less well off area or at least less educated, however same things there. Many of us have already written about good kids as a more common occurrence than the bad, but heh, it's man bites dog that get the headlines.

Wheaton is the home of churches, often joked that there are more churches than people. In fact there are more churches here per population than anywhere else in country:

You Can Find Your Affordable Home in Wheaton, IL and Watch its Value Rise
September 4th, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois is praised as a wonderful place to raise a family and has consequently brought a consistent influx of urbanites finding a wholesome, safe place to settle down. There are 52 parks in the area, representing about 800 acres filled with nature’s gifts to hikers.

The community appreciation for the value of that land set aside for everyone to enjoy, is reflected by the honors received by The Wheaton Park District - the National Gold Medal for Excellence by the National Park & Recreation Association three times in the past fifteen years; which is really a pretty wonderful if you are in the market for Wheaton homes because you love parks for picnics, and kite flying and watching animals in their natural habitat.

If you are considering raising your family in Wheaton, you will be impressed by the community support of the local public school system. The schools in Wheaton are highly rated, and one of Wheaton’s two high schools ranked in the top 1000 schools in the U.S.

More than half of Wheaton’s high school graduates go on to earn a bachelor’s degree and that’s probably related to the fact that the Public Library in Wheaton is rated in the top 10 in America.

Wheaton is also home to a number of colleges, among them, Wheaton College, well known because of its famous alumnus, the Reverend Billy Graham. Wheaton is also widely known for its many churches. As a matter of fact there are 63 churches in Wheaton, more churches per capita than any other place in the U.S.

Wheaton expanded towards the south from the 1970s through to the 1990s, with the construction of several large subdivisions: Farnham, Stonehedge, Arrowhead, and Scottdale; as well as some major shopping districts including Danada Square and Town Square. However, the city has been growing since the 1950s, and there have been several large condominium and business developments downtown. One of the most significant landmarks of the city is Wheaton Center, a 758-unit apartment complex beautifully displayed on 14 acres.

Wheaton residents tend to have a higher average income than the state average in Illinois.

While predominantly Protestant, there are two Catholic Churches, several Korean churches, a synagog, while no mosque, there is an Islamic school, Scientology, Christian Scientist, you get the idea. All these churches have 'out reach' programs, encouraging the poor into our community. Several of the churches own and operate subsidized housing and educational opportunities.

While over the top regarding religion, it is a fine community to live in. The crime rate is low and having spent 3 years substituting in Wheaton schools, (which is not my school district, as my home is part of Glen Ellyn school district), I learned first hand how the low income kids are treated in the schools and why they continue to receive scholarships at an above average rate. While Wheaton is above the state income average and even the DuPage income average, it is much more diversified minority wise than most suburbs outside of Cook County.

While certainly not typical, I lived most of my life in Elmhurst and seen the same behaviors replicated in that far less religious suburb. I think people, regardless of race/religion are basically good. I don't think society is going to hell in a handbasket, in many ways I think it's been improving in how we treat others.

Oh brother. Have you been drinking again?

And Ravi's example is similar to what happened to Wal-Mart. The only difference is they wanted to get front row seats.

All I know, Mr xcitement, is that I never plan to go shopping or to a fire with you, because either way, you're gonna lose your head.

While over the top regarding religion, it is a fine community to live in. The crime rate is low and having spent 3 years substituting in Wheaton schools, (which is not my school district, as my home is part of Glen Ellyn school district), I learned first hand how the low income kids are treated in the schools and why they continue to receive scholarships at an above average rate. While Wheaton is above the state income average and even the DuPage income average, it is much more diversified minority wise than most suburbs outside of Cook County.

While certainly not typical, I lived most of my life in Elmhurst and seen the same behaviors replicated in that far less religious suburb. I think people, regardless of race/religion are basically good. I don't think society is going to hell in a handbasket, in many ways I think it's been improving in how we treat others.

Elmhurst!!! This gets worse. I wish I could remember the streets my parents lived on.

Glen Ellyn!!!
Freaky!! My aunt and uncle live on Anthony St.

i lived in hinsdale for awhile. it was waay out in the country. now, i think ohare has a taxiway that runs through it.

Elmhurst!!! This gets worse. I wish I could remember the streets my parents lived on.

Glen Ellyn!!!
Freaky!! My aunt and uncle live on Anthony St.

Your parents lived in Elmhurst? I grew up there and owned 2 homes there as an adult. Great suburb. I grew up on a one-block street between Vallette and Crescent.

My first house was in Glen Ellyn, on Forest by Glenbard West.

Small world!

I never imagined you ever living in Illinois.

my dad got transferred out there when i was 12. it sucked.
then we moved back to boston when i was 13.
that sucked too.
it may have been age related.
:lol:

i lived in hinsdale for awhile. it was waay out in the country. now, i think ohare has a taxiway that runs through it.

Hinsdale is a beautiful suburb but way too pricey. LOL! DuPage is an expensive county.

Your parents lived in Elmhurst? I grew up there and owned 2 homes there as an adult. Great suburb. I grew up on a one-block street between Vallette and Crescent.

My first house was in Glen Ellyn, on Forest by Glenbard West.

Small world!

It is! Del and I lived across the street from each other for years before actually having a real conversation on a message board.

Hi Del!! Still in your bath robe at this time of day!! waving out the window*

just kidding, we met online after we had both moved away from that neighborhood. Strange thing is that a third online pal also lived on the next block from us at the same time. oh, and del doesn't wear a bath robe.

my dad got transferred out there when i was 12. it sucked.
then we moved back to boston when i was 13.
that sucked too.
it may have been age related.
:lol:

I can't imagine not liking Hinsdale or Boston. :lol: You're right, must have been age related! Did you go to Graue Mill? Loverly Salt Creek?:eek:

It is! Del and I lived across the street from each other for years before actually having a real conversation on a message board.

just kidding, we met online after we had both moved away from that neighborhood. Strange thing is that a third online pal also lived on the next block from us at the same time. oh, and del doesn't wear a bath robe.

i find kilts to be more hygenic.

Del nekked? :eek:

Did you go to school there? I went to Jefferson, IC, Sandburg, then York.

Forum List

Back