World Cup 2010

England v Germany. Can't wait!

USA
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea

One of those countries is going to the World Cup semi-final.

On the other hand, Argentina, Mexico, England and Germany are all in the same bracket.

Man, that's really nuts. 2 weeks ago I would've never though either of those were gonna make it to semis... the US basically has a legitimate chance of going head to head against Brazil in semis, though of course I'll be rooting for Ghana and Uruguay to prevent that from happening. :tongue:

And it looks like it's sort of shaping up to be the same sort of mismatched brackets on the other side, if it was as it stands now you'd get:

Paraguay/Japan/Chile/Portugal fighting for one semi and Holland/Italy/Brazil/Spain for the other. :eek:

WTF?!?! We'll see how it goes.

England v Germany. Can't wait!

USA
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea

One of those countries is going to the World Cup semi-final.

On the other hand, Argentina, Mexico, England and Germany are all in the same bracket.

Man, that's really nuts. 2 weeks ago I would've never though either of those were gonna make it to semis... the US basically has a legitimate chance of going head to head against Brazil in semis, though of course I'll be rooting for Ghana and Uruguay to prevent that from happening. :tongue:

And it looks like it's sort of shaping up to be the same sort of mismatched brackets on the other side, if it was as it stands now you'd get:

Paraguay/Japan/Chile/Portugal fighting for one semi and Holland/Italy/Brazil/Spain for the other. :eek:

WTF?!?! We'll see how it goes.

Depending how the next few days go, the bracket underneath America's could be Netherlands v Italy, Brazil v Spain. I'm highly confident of the first three but I expect the forth team will be Chile, not Spain. However, Chile has been playing pretty well, and all they have to do is draw Spain to clinch the group. Brazil v Spain is a potential final, and we could get that in the first stage of the knock-out round.

Italy slow on the uptake today. Why did the Italians wait so long to get a fire under their ass?
For defending champs, they didn't play like it, til' late in the game, but their team has obvious talent.
(Damn, never knew I'd get into soccer; but the TV coverage is great, especially with the slo-mo isolated replays, and very neutral, but knowledgable announcers whom are not afraid to criticize the refs, as opposed to NFL milksop announcers who hesitate to, most of the time. Never knew soccer was such a contact sport. Italians slammed the Slovakian goalie twice, brutally. It's great to wake up and see great competition at 6:30 a.m. PST, on a weekday, with my coffee.!!!!!)

USA - Ghana 1-2

USA had some seriously fucked up defensive lapses and Tim Howard is going to hate seeing the first Ghana goal. USA also some some seriously good chances including one by a fully prone Altidor. Ghana keeper was the difference.

2014 Here we come!

USA - Ghana 1-2

USA had some seriously fucked up defensive lapses and Tim Howard is going to hate seeing the first Ghana goal. USA also some some seriously good chances including one by a fully prone Altidor. Ghana keeper was the difference.

2014 Here we come!

We gave a good account, had our chances.:clap2:
Just think about those countries that didn't make the final 16 where soccer is like a religion!!!

That last 20 minutes is the reason soccer will never catch on in a big way in the US.

That last 20 minutes is the reason soccer will never catch on in a big way in the US.

Why's that?

I watch the last one minute of a basketball game, and that takes 20 minutes to play, what with all the fouls and free throws. Plus, there's only about 20 minutes of action in a typical baseball game. Seriously. One of the TV stations in Seattle used to edit out all the nonaction in Mariners games, and they would run the whole game over half an hour, and that was with ads.

And both basketball and baseball are big in America.

Football has about 40 minutes of action spread out over three hours.

Edit - I just found something that says football has 11 minutes of action.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2430448/posts

I'm not ragging on any of the other sports. I love the NFL and used to watch 100 baseball games a year. But put it into context. There's a lot of standing around and dead space in the sports that Americans love.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of the guy who clearly wasn't hurt, but faked like he was a good five minutes, then another guy promptly turning around and doing the same thing.

I was thinking more of the guy who clearly wasn't hurt, but faked like he was a good five minutes, then another guy promptly turning around and doing the same thing.

Yeah, that does suck. But if you watch American soccer, or British or German or Dutch or Scandinavian soccer for that matter, they don't do that.

USA - Ghana 1-2

2014 Here we come!

We gave a good account, had our chances.:clap2:
Just think about those countries that didn't make the final 16 where soccer is like a religion!!!

I was going to say that we outlasted former champs France and Italy, but big fucking deal.

A win against Ghana would have been huge but now the crushing reality sets in that at least half of the current team won't be on the next World Cup squad. That's why the event is so huge!

Gross incompetence by a linesman who didn't see a ball two yards over the goal line, otherwise England would be level.

Brutal. That guy should be dropped for the rest of the tournament.

Forum List

Back