Would you Pay to Attend a Wedding?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

I believe I wrote a bit in this Forum on my recent wedding visit to [un-named mile-high city] for the wedding of my niece. I commented that if the wedding were held in my "back yard" so to speak, I would have given her a check for $250 or so with my congratulatory card. The weekend cost me well north of a thousand bucks, but my spousal unit told me it would vulgar to give her an invoice for the difference, so we ate the cost and just wrote it off as a bad debt. In addition to the $250 - or more - that the spousal unit inserted into the card. Parenthetically, it was a rather low-budget wedding, comparable to the traditional reception at a local fire hall. If they spent more than $50 a head, the organizer should have been wearing a bandit mask.

The subject of the linked article asked (demanded?) $450 for a "ticket" to attend his wedding in Houston. OK, will he be satisfied when he gets no gifts? Would it be appropriate to give a greeting card with no gift?

Is this bad form, or just a reasonable response to the stratospheric costs of having a "nice" wedding these days?

I believe I wrote a bit in this Forum on my recent wedding visit to [un-named mile-high city] for the wedding of my niece. I commented that if the wedding were held in my "back yard" so to speak, I would have given her a check for $250 or so with my congratulatory card. The weekend cost me well north of a thousand bucks, but my spousal unit told me it would vulgar to give her an invoice for the difference, so we ate the cost and just wrote it off as a bad debt. In addition to the $250 - or more - that the spousal unit inserted into the card. Parenthetically, it was a rather low-budget wedding, comparable to the traditional reception at a local fire hall. If they spent more than $50 a head, the organizer should have been wearing a bandit mask.

The subject of the linked article asked (demanded?) $450 for a "ticket" to attend his wedding in Houston. OK, will he be satisfied when he gets no gifts? Would it be appropriate to give a greeting card with no gift?

Is this bad form, or just a reasonable response to the stratospheric costs of having a "nice" wedding these days?

No, they pay me to attend!m :)

You know you're not obligated to attend out of town weddings, right? Could have just sent your regrets and the check and saved a lot of money. YOU made the choice.

Destination weddings pay for the immediate family to attend, flights and accomodation, anyone else isn’t expected to come if they dont want to spend the bucks.. Thems the rules..

Forum List

Back