WOW - Yet ANOTHER welcome crack in the wall by an honest liberal

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Thank you, Mr. Kristof:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/10/opinion/sunday/the-dangers-of-echo-chambers-on-campus.html

I share apprehensions about President-elect Trump, but I also fear the reaction was evidence of how insular universities have become. When students inhabit liberal bubbles, they're not learning much about their own country. To be fully educated, students should encounter not only Plato, but Republicans.

We liberals are adept at pointing out the hypocrisies of Trump, but we should also address our own hypocrisy in terrain we govern, such as most universities: Too often, we embrace diversity of all kinds except for ideological.

We champion tolerance, except for conservatives and evangelical Christians. We want to be inclusive of people who don't look like us - so long as they think like us.

Already, the lack of ideological diversity on campuses is a disservice to the students and to liberalism itself, with liberalism collapsing on some campuses into self parody.

WOW. Good stuff, and thanks again.

Forgot the excellent last words of the piece:

When universities are echo chambers, they become conservative punchlines, and liberal hand-wringing may be one reason Trump's popularity has jumped since the election.

It's ineffably sad that today "that's academic" often means "that's irrelevant". One step to correcting that is for us liberals to embrace the diversity we supposedly champion.

I never understood where this myth of liberal universities comes from? Maybe its some kind mccarthyist propaganda from the 60's. Universities are becoming more right wing not less, there are thousands of religous colleges, Koch bros spend millions funding trickle down economics How the Koch Brothers Are Influencing U.S. Colleges

Liberal arts colleges are closing down, while the koch bros are spending tens of millions to brainwash college kids with right wing trickle economics and the churches are spending a few more billion to teach gay conversion therapy

Exit polls show college graduates are split just like everyone else 49% Clinton to 45% Trump.

I never understood where this myth of liberal universities comes from? Maybe its some kind mccarthyist propaganda from the 60's. Universities are becoming more right wing not less, there are thousands of religous colleges, Koch bros spend millions funding trickle down economics How the Koch Brothers Are Influencing U.S. Colleges

Liberal arts colleges are closing down, while the koch bros are spending tens of millions to brainwash college kids with right wing trickle economics and the churches are spending a few more billion to teach gay conversion therapy

Exit polls show college graduates are split just like everyone else 49% Clinton to 45% Trump.

Nothing like demonstrating the point by not getting it.

This is a serious post?

This is a serious post?
Is it from a movie? do you guys just think colleges are filled kids in drum circles blowing bubbles and smoking the reefer?

Do you feel that President Obama is part of the "McCarthyist propaganda from the 60's"?

Obama on Political Correctness: ‘A Recipe for Dogmatism’
But I tell ‘em — “I want you also to be able to listen. I don’t want you to think that a display of your strength is simply shutting other people up. And that part of your ability to bring about change is going to be by engagement and understanding the viewpoints and the arguments of the other side.” And so when I hear, for example, you know, folks on college campuses saying, “We’re not going to allow somebody to speak on our campus because we disagree with their ideas or we feel threatened by their ideas —” you know, I think that’s a recipe for dogmatism. And I think you’re not going to be as effective.

Obama hits 'coddled' liberal college students
"It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side. And that’s a problem, too," Obama said during a town hall on Monday in Des Moines, Iowa.

"I've heard of some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative. Or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans, or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women," Obama continued.

"I’ve got to tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of views," he said.

This is a serious post?

I think we have ourselves a new sock for one of our more idiotic posters.

This is a serious post?
Is it from a movie? do you guys just think colleges are filled kids in drum circles blowing bubbles and smoking the reefer?
WOW

This is a serious post?

I think we have ourselves a new sock for one of our more idiotic posters.
He appears to be serious, but I can never tell.

Forum List

Back