Yet another school shooting

A common sense gun law, requiring trigger locks and secure storage of firearms have been opposed by the NRA and its supporters. One more reason that the NRA is an irresponsible organization which enables the horrific use of firearms, such as we have seen too often in our country.
How do you enforce a law like that?

Do you just let the cops enter any home at any time to check?

IMO the father of this kid should be charged with negligence at the least and serve at least 5 years the kid should be tries as an adult and serve the rest of his life
there is not enough information out there yet to make that call about the father at least i have not seen any
The kid took his his father's guns.

The guns were not secured the the father is culpable

i have not heard if the guns had been secured or not

do you have a link on that
If they were secured the kid would not have been able to get his hands on them

Common sense

You don't have any, so why consider that?

Be honest, you don't know, do you?

i have not heard if the guns had been secured or not

do you have a link on that
If they were secured the kid would not have been able to get his hands on them

Common sense

bs adam lanza killed his mother to access her weapons

i will wait for the facts to come out
Police: Suspect in Texas school shooting used father's guns

The Texas student charged in the school shooting at Santa Fe High School posted an image on Facebook of himself wearing a "Born to Kill" shirt and used his father's shotgun and pistol in the attack that left 10 dead and 10 wounded,
so that is not prof that he did not have them secure

the kid could have broke into a locked area

so me the real proof the father acted irresponsible

so if someone broke into your home or beat the shit out of you and took your firearm

and committed a crime with it

should you be locked away for 5 years for that
The two scenarios are completely different,

In the eyes of the law a parent is responsible for the acts of his minor children.

I am not responsible for the acts of a criminal who steals from me.

And FYI no one is going to steal my guns because I actually have them secured in a 600 pound safe that is cemented into my basement floor with an 8 digit combination that only I know.

still you are making claims about the situation you know nothing about

the child in this case is a criminal

how do you know he did not steal the firearms from the dad

you dont

in fact you know none of the facts

you are getting as bad as the libs on this board jumping to fact less conclusions

sad really

carry on

32929943_1017360985086225_3091618387097288704_n.jpg

What evidence do you have to offer, to prove gun control law and gun free zones contribute to for more and more slaughters of innocent school children?

If you are trying to infer that more guns in more public arenas are a means to prevent such horrific crimes, the evidence in this weeks attack show an armed and presumably well trained armed security guard was shot and critically wounded.

More guns by trained but not professional security personnel would, IMO, create a fire fight with each gun being trained on other guns and contribute to friendly fire casualties.
There is no such evidence, and he knows it.

And how well does a guy carrying a fucking shotgun blend in anywhere?

I am happier than ever that I don't have kids knowing that idiots like you are running the show at public schools

He carried it under his black trench coat in 90 degree weather.

Dustin Severin, a 17-year-old student, told NBC affiliate KPRC that he saw Pagourtzis in the hallway shortly before the bullets started flying — and that he was wearing his usual outfit. "He wears a trenchcoat every day, and it's like 90 degrees out here," Severin said.​

You are failing BIGLY today Skull - DERP ;-)
Gee a trench coat nothing suspicious there

I guess we need to ban trench coats. But when we do that, only outlaws will have trench coats!

But you don't seem to have any ideas on how to keep people with rifles and shotguns from walking into a school do you?

I guess of it's not spelled out for you in a lesson plan with step by step instructions you can't do it huh?

Yes, I do know how. Put an armed teacher at the door and stop anyone who looks like they don't belong. At present, the shooter would just pull out a gun and start shooting because nothing that that teacher can do will prevent them from doing so.

All our students at our middle school entered through one door, so anyone older would stick out like a sore thumb!

I just want to know why you think that schools do not have procedures in place and plans on how to react to these active shooter situations after you have been told repeatedly that they do. Columbine was 19 years ago in case you missed it. Are you just stupid or is being an asshole more fun?

An armed police officer/ deputy sheriff's cost with benefits is over $100,000 per year. That does not include a percentage of his Sgt. and LT, which is figured into the costs, nor the extra training a resource officer/deputy requires, as well as the special gear such as metal detectors and your are talking about huge budget increase, even if the agency only has a few schools. A city with half a dozen public high schools, another six middle schools and a couple of dozen elementary schools adds up.

Turf issues are another problem, and I'm sure many people will object to seeing a public school surrounded by razor wire and sally ports.

What evidence do you have to offer, to prove gun control law and gun free zones contribute to for more and more slaughters of innocent school children?

If you are trying to infer that more guns in more public arenas are a means to prevent such horrific crimes, the evidence in this weeks attack show an armed and presumably well trained armed security guard was shot and critically wounded.

More guns by trained but not professional security personnel would, IMO, create a fire fight with each gun being trained on other guns and contribute to friendly fire casualties.
There is no such evidence, and he knows it.

Chicago.

2018 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

Next question.

Had he not had access to guns, ..., The fact is, if he was the target of bullies, he had alternatives. We know he had access to guns, do we know if he had access to counselors, parents he could talk to, or a favorite teacher? There is no singular explanation for his motivation. What we know is he had means and an opportunity.

Parents should share the blame in this, even charged for neglect big time if find out huge mistakes were made. If Dad or mom exposed their son to deadly weapons without regard, then he or she should share a cell next to their son for his actions.

A common sense gun law, requiring trigger locks and secure storage of firearms have been opposed by the NRA and its supporters. One more reason that the NRA is an irresponsible organization which enables the horrific use of firearms, such as we have seen too often in our country.
How do you enforce a law like that?

Do you just let the cops enter any home at any time to check?

IMO the father of this kid should be charged with negligence at the least and serve at least 5 years the kid should be tries as an adult and serve the rest of his life

Guns needed to be safely secured, and that is what the rightwing once supported in terms of making all of us to practice personal responsibility. We pass a law not as a panacea, but as a warning (much like a Red Light at an intersection, if you run the Red Light and cause an accident you will be punished, by fines and/or a loss of liberty).

You continue to make remarks which question enforcement codes, and the answer is always the same. Such laws are not able or conceived to prevent law breakers, but to punish them when they are discovered.

Of course if one understands how MADD evolved and its impact on drunk driving, they would understand that as penalties increased infractions reduced (and deaths too), but were never eliminated.

You have two arguments:
  1. Shall not infringe
  2. Laws don't work
Both have been rebutted over and over and by stating them over and over and expecting a different response is not an effective argument.

Laws don't stop crime they never did. If they did we'd have no crime

A parent is responsible for the deeds of his minor children. In this case he is culpable because his kid took his guns and killed with them. It would be no different if the kid took his father's car without permission and ran somebody over

But if he had no kids and his guns were in his home which was locked and secured and a piece of shit criminal broke in and stole his guns then the only person responsible is the piece of shit criminal

In most states the parent has civil responsibility only for property damage that is caused by a malicious act of the child. The only way the parent is responsible for criminal actions of the child would be by contributing to the delinquency of minors. This requires that the parent help or persuade the child to commit the crime. I don't know of any state where the parent would bear any criminal responsibility for a murder committed by the child.

Dustin Severin, a 17-year-old student, told NBC affiliate KPRC that he saw Pagourtzis in the hallway shortly before the bullets started flying — and that he was wearing his usual outfit. "He wears a trenchcoat every day, and it's like 90 degrees out here," Severin said.​

I guess we need to ban trench coats. But when we do that, only outlaws will have trench coats!

But you don't seem to have any ideas on how to keep people with rifles and shotguns from walking into a school do you?

I guess of it's not spelled out for you in a lesson plan with step by step instructions you can't do it huh?

Yes, I do know how. Put an armed teacher at the door and stop anyone who looks like they don't belong. At present, the shooter would just pull out a gun and start shooting because nothing that that teacher can do will prevent them from doing so.

All our students at our middle school entered through one door, so anyone older would stick out like a sore thumb!

I just want to know why you think that schools do not have procedures in place and plans on how to react to these active shooter situations after you have been told repeatedly that they do. Columbine was 19 years ago in case you missed it. Are you just stupid or is being an asshole more fun?

An armed police officer/ deputy sheriff's cost with benefits is over $100,000 per year. That does not include a percentage of his Sgt. and LT, which is figured into the costs, nor the extra training a resource officer/deputy requires, as well as the special gear such as metal detectors and your are talking about huge budget increase, even if the agency only has a few schools. A city with half a dozen public high schools, another six middle schools and a couple of dozen elementary schools adds up.

Turf issues are another problem, and I'm sure many people will object to seeing a public school surrounded by razor wire and sally ports.
There is no effective way to defend against mass shooters because there's only 1 occurrence in every 30,000 schools in an average year. In the average school, an armed teacher would not face a mass shooter in 100 life times. Trying to find teachers capable of making spit second decisions to kill and keeping them trained to respond to an event that is so unlikely to occur is foolish. Putting a school resource office and metal detectors in every school would cost hundreds of billions of dollars.

What is really needed is to reduce violence in the school, attacks on teachers and students bringing weapons to school, suicides, bullying, gang activity, drugs, and providing mental health counseling to disturbed students. This can done by targeting schools that really are hurting due to violence.

There is no effective way to defend against mass shooters because there's only 1 occurrence in every 30,000 schools in an average year. In the average school, an armed teacher would not face a mass shooter in 100 life times. Trying to find teachers capable of making spit second decisions to kill and keeping them trained to respond to an event that is so unlikely to occur is foolish. Putting a school resource office and metal detectors in every school would cost hundreds of billions of dollars.

What is really needed is to reduce violence in the school, attacks on teachers and students bringing weapons to school, suicides, bullying, gang activity, drugs, and providing mental health counseling to disturbed students. This can done by targeting schools that really are hurting due to violence.

Targeting schools?

Are you familiar with Marshall County, KY? It's a farming community with only enough population to support one large high school. There are no gangs, drugs or any criminal element, yet there was a school shooting. There is no magic formula. To assume as much just shows why we should not let amateurs like post of this message board be responsible for any decisions that require intelligent thought.

And how well does a guy carrying a fucking shotgun blend in anywhere?

I am happier than ever that I don't have kids knowing that idiots like you are running the show at public schools

Banning hoodies has already been tried, no such luck there. It's a fashion thing you know.

Seeing people wearing these hoodies in 100° heat is definitely a mental thing going on, but we can't say it right ??
can't really hide a shotgun in a hoodie can you
Just adding perspective.

Targeting schools?

Are you familiar with Marshall County, KY? It's a farming community with only enough population to support one large high school. There are no gangs, drugs or any criminal element, yet there was a school shooting. There is no magic formula. To assume as much just shows why we should not let amateurs like post of this message board be responsible for any decisions that require intelligent thought.
A violent act can occur in any school in the country at any time. I'm suggesting we give the most attention to schools such as John Bowne High School in New York where violent attacks with injuries occurred 53 times last year, 14 the previous. These acts include shootings, stabbing, beatings, and even attacking a teacher with a baseball bat. There're dozens of schools like John Bowne and there're hundreds of schools where a serious attack or killings occurring almost every year, and thousands with a long history of violence that goes back many years.

There simple will not be enough resources if we include all schools.

Last edited:

Targeting schools?

A violent act can occur in any school in the country at any time. I'm suggesting we give the most attention to schools such as John Bowne High School in New York where violent attacks with injuries occurred 53 times last year, 14 the previous. These acts include shootings, stabbing, beatings, and even attacking a teacher with a baseball bat. There're dozens of schools like John Bowne and there're hundreds of schools where a serious attack or killings occur almost every year, and thousands with a long history of violence that goes back many years.

Sounds like a nice school! Only 53 times? I taught at a school where it happened at least once per day!

Targeting schools?

A violent act can occur in any school in the country at any time. I'm suggesting we give the most attention to schools such as John Bowne High School in New York where violent attacks with injuries occurred 53 times last year, 14 the previous. These acts include shootings, stabbing, beatings, and even attacking a teacher with a baseball bat. There're dozens of schools like John Bowne and there're hundreds of schools where a serious attack or killings occur almost every year, and thousands with a long history of violence that goes back many years.

Sounds like a nice school! Only 53 times? I taught at a school where it happened at least once per day!
I taught in an elementary school in Florida for 2 years. It was a Chapter One school in the middle one of the worst areas in the city. You always could tell the kids whose family ran drugs because they were well dressed and often wore jewelry. Guns and drugs were everywhere. Older kids would often bring knives or guns to school. Surprisingly, we didn't have a lot of school violence but it was a horrible place to work even thou the class sizes were small and we had a great principal. They had a small parking lot for staff with a guard. If you didn't get your car in the lot in the morning, the chances were pretty good it would not be intact when you returned. Walking anywhere out of the school was not safe. Parent teacher nights was a real trip. Most of parents really cared about their kids and wanted to help them but some times there were characters that scared the shit out of me. I kept a gun in my car but I would have never brought it into the school because I might get jumped by one of the older kids. A lot of teachers only lasted one year. I made it two before getting transferred.

Targeting schools?

I taught in an elementary school in Florida for 2 years. It was a Chapter One school in the middle one of the worst areas in the city. You always could tell the kids whose family ran drugs because they were well dressed and often wore jewelry. Guns and drugs were everywhere. Older kids would often bring knives or guns to school. Surprisingly, we didn't have a lot of school violence but it was a horrible place to work even thou the class sizes were small and we had a great principal. They had a small parking lot for staff with a guard. If you didn't get your car in the lot in the morning, the chances were pretty good it would not be intact when you returned. Walking anywhere out of the school was not safe. Parent teacher nights was a real trip. Most of parents really cared about their kids and wanted to help them but some times there were characters that scared the shit out of me. I kept a gun in my car but I would have never brought it into the school because I might get jumped by one of the older kids. A lot of teachers only lasted one year. I made it two before getting transferred.

Sounds pretty typical to inner city schools to me.

One of my links were to the study by Oxford University.

I want THAT expert in my side.

Also, the FDA

And the entire country of England that banned them for use with young people.

Bring on your expert witnesses.

Really? Then you should watch Rachael Maddow on MSNBC every evening, since her Ph.D was awarded her by Oxford:

" In 1995 she attended the University of Oxford as a Rhodes scholar. She received a doctorate (D.Phil.) in politics in 2001; her dissertation was titled “HIV/AIDS and Health Care Reform in British and American Prisons.”
Rachel Maddow | American political commentator

Did Maddow co-author the study he referenced? Or was that just a distaction?

It was clear by my post what she presented, she attended Oxford and got a D. Phil - it matter not what her dissertation was on, given the comment on the authority of that institution.

So, it was a distraction and had nothing to do with the referenced study. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ah yes, another use of a tactic to defend something he could not understand. Why are so many defenders of Trump&Co. so inadequate?

Why are so many attackers of Trump&Co such dishonest liars?

Targeting schools?

Sounds pretty typical to inner city schools to me.

And why the hell is that sort of shit allowed? Sounds like a admin that has lost complete control of their school.

Obviously....duh.... security at schools need to be made to resemble federal government buildings. Time for people to buckle up their chin straps. Highly trained security. The kids will get used to it. Or we can continue to play makey-uppey let's continue to navigate in Disney.:113:
Went to school overseas 0 mass shooting, heck 0 shooting...God damn it 0 shooting outside school...fuck 0 shooting in malls, streets, or public places....you know why? Because it was a gun free country. I dont know anyone who knew anyone who saw a gun. Its doable Merica , it ain't the 1800s.
Pure fantasy. Completely made up.
I know for those who never lived in s gun free country.
Some people want massive illegal immigration. Some want to be able to defend themselves and others. Love legal citizenship.

Obviously....duh.... security at schools need to be made to resemble federal government buildings. Time for people to buckle up their chin straps. Highly trained security. The kids will get used to it. Or we can continue to play makey-uppey let's continue to navigate in Disney.:113:
Went to school overseas 0 mass shooting, heck 0 shooting...God damn it 0 shooting outside school...fuck 0 shooting in malls, streets, or public places....you know why? Because it was a gun free country. I dont know anyone who knew anyone who saw a gun. Its doable Merica , it ain't the 1800s.
Pure fantasy. Completely made up.
I know for those who never lived in s gun free country.
Some people want massive illegal immigration. Some want to be able to defend themselves and others. Love legal citizenship.

Please post a factual link about the people who love massive immigration (other than opinions from RW extremists, including Fox news)

Forum List

Back