'You Buy These Or I Take Your Car': Cop Shakes Down Driver For Police Fundraiser

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
"Nothing he did was right," said Philadelphia's police chief.

A Philadelphia police officer was reassigned to desk duty and stripped of his service weapon on Friday, the day after video surfaced showing him pressuring a motorist to donate to a fundraising event.

In the first video, posted to Facebook on Thursday, Officer Matthew Zagursky is seen giving the driver a choice of either buying tickets to an annual police and firefighter fundraiser, or having his car towed.

"You and your friend got any money to buy these 'Thrill Show' tickets?" Zagursky asks. "Either you buy these or I take your car. 'Cause it's unregistered."

Zagursky then tells the man that the tickets cost $10 each and reminds him to "support cops like me." The driver is seen holding cash, although the video doesn't show him giving it to the officer.

The officer is a nine-year veteran, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.

In a second video, Zagursky uses a homophobic slur while questioning the driver about his pink windshield wipers.

Videos & More: 'You Buy These Or I Take Your Car': Cop Shakes Down Driver For Police Fundraiser

Obviously, this officer crossed way over the line. Do any of you receive phone calls from your state Fraternal Order of Police or similar organization requesting donations? I receive phone calls at least 2 or 3 times each year from the Capitol area of my state requesting donations. It is always an authoritative, professional-sounding man with a husky voice - and he is always very reluctant to take "No" for an answer. It's very high-pressure and he always talks about sending me a sticker for the window of my vehicle if I make a donation. What's the purpose of this sticker - other than to plant the illusion that police may give me a break if they see the sticker on my vehicle window? I think this is wrong and should not be allowed - so I just end up hanging up on him. Personally, I consider it a scam. What do you think?

Last edited:

A Philadelphia police officer was reassigned to desk duty and stripped of his service weapon on Friday, the day after video surfaced showing him pressuring a motorist to donate to a fundraising event.

In the first video, posted to Facebook on Thursday, Officer Matthew Zagursky is seen giving the driver a choice of either buying tickets to an annual police and firefighter fundraiser, or having his car towed.

"You and your friend got any money to buy these 'Thrill Show' tickets?" Zagursky asks. "Either you buy these or I take your car. 'Cause it's unregistered."

Zagursky then tells the man that the tickets cost $10 each and reminds him to "support cops like me." The driver is seen holding cash, although the video doesn't show him giving it to the officer.

In a second video, Zagursky uses a homophobic slur while questioning the driver about his pink windshield wipers.

Videos & More: 'You Buy These Or I Take Your Car': Cop Shakes Down Driver For Police Fundraiser

Obviously, this officer crossed way over the line. Do any of you receive phone calls from your state Fraternal Order of Police or similar organization requesting donations? I receive phone calls at least 2 or 3 times each year from the Capitol area of my state requesting donations. It is always a professional sounding older man with a deep manly voice - and he is always very reluctant to take "No" for an answer. It's very high pressure and he always talks about sending me a sticker for the window of my vehicle if I make a donation. What's the purpose of this sticker - other than to plant the illusion that police may give me a break if they see the sticker on my vehicle window? I think this is wrong and should not be allowed - so I just end up hanging up on him. Personally, I consider it a scam.

That's some pretty nasty stuff, there....

Do any of you receive phone calls from your state Fraternal Order of Police or similar organization requesting donations? I receive phone calls at least 2 or 3 times each year from the Capitol area of my state requesting donations. It is always an authoritative, professional-sounding man with a husky voice - and he is always very reluctant to take "No" for an answer.

I just say "I don't do business on the phone" and hang up.

If the car wasn't registered then he had the ability to take the car whether the driver donated or not. To me, that fundraiser shouldn't have even mattered if that driver was breaking a law anyways.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

If the car wasn't registered then he had the ability to take the car whether the driver donated or not. To me, that fundraiser shouldn't have even mattered if that driver was breaking a law anyways.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Good point. However, I don't believe police should ever engage in quid pro quo - regardless of circumstances.

He should be fired and prosecuted under RICO

Please educate me. What is RICO?
  1. Passed in 1970, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) is a federal law designed to combat organized crime in the United States. It allows prosecution and civil penalties for racketeering activity performed as part of an ongoing criminal enterprise.

1. Passed in 1970, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) is a federal law designed to combat organized crime in the United States. It allows prosecution and civil penalties for racketeering activity performed as part of an ongoing criminal enterprise.

I believe that's what feds used to nail Al Capone.

Capone was convicted long before the RICO Act came into existence....in 1970 :confused:

They got Al on tax evasion..

Obviously, this officer crossed way over the line. Do any of you receive phone calls from your state Fraternal Order of Police or similar organization requesting donations? I receive phone calls at least 2 or 3 times each year from the Capitol area of my state requesting donations. It is always an authoritative, professional-sounding man with a husky voice - and he is always very reluctant to take "No" for an answer. It's very high-pressure and he always talks about sending me a sticker for the window of my vehicle if I make a donation. What's the purpose of this sticker - other than to plant the illusion that police may give me a break if they see the sticker on my vehicle window? I think this is wrong and should not be allowed - so I just end up hanging up on him. Personally, I consider it a scam. What do you think?
What's wrong with the adjective "faggoty-assed"? Every normal guy in the world has used that termology. I know I have. Anybody else agree?

Capone was convicted long before the RICO Act came into existence....in 1970 :confused:

Ha! I knew Capone wasn't convicted under RICO, it was passed in 1970 and Capone died in 1947.

That police officer saved those boys hundreds of dollars. They should be kissing his ass in Macy's window.

Ha! I knew Capone wasn't convicted under RICO, it was passed in 1970 and Capone died in 1947.
Al Capone got it for filling a false tax form.

Al Capone own got it for filling a false tax form.

I know that and you know that I was schooling Fauxahontas

No doubt his union will protect him - or stage a strike if he isn't immediately cleared AND promoted in "Reparation".

Last edited:

That is true. My mistake. I misremembered. I was thinking that RICO included some laws regarding organized crime tax evasion. I will add the following:

The RICO Act was created as part of the Organized Crime Control Act of 1970. As a product of two sets of Congressional hearings that took place in the late 1950s and early 1960s, the act's main focus was on measures that would be prohibitive to gambling organizations. Sponsored by Senator John Little McClellan and drafted by G. Robert Blakey, the Rico Act was signed into law by President Richard Nixon on 15 October 1970.

More: What is the RICO Act? (with pictures)

Forum List

Back