🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

You can't hunt with an AR15!!!

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
Setting aside for a moment the obvious response that the 2nd Amendment is about killing people, not deer...

Why can't I hunt with this?
What can't I hunt with this?

Now, yes, it probably should have an optic, but other than that....?

Please check you talking points and choose all that apply.

1694714285306.png

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/tested-windham-weaponry-450-thumper-ar-15-pistol/

I was told by a local gun dealer that the standard.223/5.56 AR-15 is not recommended for deer, elk, bears i.e. large game. I think he said an AR-10 would be good for that but most people would find those too expensive, maybe too heavy and likely illegal as it was designed as a true assault rifle which the AR-15 is not.

I think there are AR-15s made with larger caliber too that could be suitable for large game? We didn't discuss that.

I was told by a local gun dealer that the standard.223/5.56 AR-15 is not recommended for deer, elk, bears i.e. large game. I think he said an AR-10 would be good for that but most people would find those too expensive, maybe too heavy and likely illegal as it was designed as a true assault rifle which the AR-15 is not.

I think there are AR-15s made with larger caliber too that could be suitable for large game? We didn't discuss that.
There are states that do not allow those rounds to be used for large game. A lot of people use them for varmints.

There are states that do not allow those rounds to be used for large game. A lot of people use them for varmints.

That is correct. Many states require a .24 caliber or larger for most big game.

However, feral hogs are not considered sporting game but an invasive species to be contained or exterminated. And plenty of people are using .223/5.56mm on hogs.

Yes an AR-15 is great for varmints so I am told. I've never shot any kind of weapon at any living thing and hope with all my heart I never need to do that, but I know how if I have to and am a pretty good shot with both a rifle and a hand gun.

Yes an AR-15 is great for varmints so I am told. I've never shot any kind of weapon at any living thing and hope with all my heart I never need to do that, but I know how if I have to and am a pretty good shot with both a rifle and a hand gun.

It is not just varmints. Although, the accuracy required to be a "varmint rifle" is there. But even with the small bullet weight, the speed at which the bullet is moving causes a hydrostatic shock which will drop an animal.

I have shot numerous animals in my hunting/varminting times. I am glad I have the skills to feed my family if I need to.

The AR pictured in the OP is chambered in 450 Bushmaster, more or less equal to the .45-70.
It will reliably take take elk, moose and bear.

That is correct. Many states require a .24 caliber or larger for most big game.

However, feral hogs are not considered sporting game but an invasive species to be contained or exterminated. And plenty of people are using .223/5.56mm on hogs.
No way. Not NEARLY enough steam on a .223 for me to try taking down a feral hog with it.

Forum List

Back