You ready to pay Kama-Kama-Chameleon's 25% tax on the ultra-wealthy's unrealized capital gains?

I wonder if I will have to pay cap gains on the increase in the value of my firearms, after she bans ' assault weapons'.

I'm still chewing on it. I'd need to know more. Like...how are losses counted?

If you bought shares at $10 a share, but then they went down to $8.00 a share, there are obviously no gains, realized or otherwise. So if the value the next year returns to $10 a share, do you have to pay fifty cents on 'unrealized gains', despite the fact that you haven't actually made money?

If no, then the original purchase price impacts your tax liability way past that first year. Which has its own implications.

What about options? Does having the option to purchase shares at a certain price represent unrealized gains, even if you've never exercised them? I'd say, maybe......as depending on the circumstance, you can take out loans on un-exercised options.

And what if you purchase options. Are those subject to unrealized capital gains taxes if you never exercise them, even if they're in the money?

Bingo.

Unrealized gains taxing would be workable in a framework where government is taxing upside while crediting the downside through the years.

Otherwise it's too punitive.

The average ultra-wealthy bought 10,000 shares of Apple stock in 1980 for $22.00 a share or $220,000 cost buy 10,000 shares.
Today these shares would be worth $21,000,000.
Under Kama-kama-chameleon plan this "ultra-wealthy" will have to pay 25% on the $20,780,000 gain or $5,195,000 taxes.

Wrong, wrong again. Under Kamala's plan no one would pay a single dime on that 21 million dollar share gains, because it would only tax gains that happen in a year after the law went into effect.

Do you ever post anything that is NOT a myth?

So if your million dollar 401K goes up 10% (+$100K) you have to pay additional 25%($25K) tax when you file 1040?

What if It drops 10%? Do we get a $25K tax credit?

Wrong, wrong again. Under Kamala's plan no one would pay a single dime on that 21 million dollar share gains, because it would only tax gains that happen in a year after the law went into effect.

Wow... you make a dumb ass assumption that EVERYTHING I post is a myth!

More importantly...
WHERE in my original post did I declare that the Apple stock was sold in 2024?

ZERO and YOU made a dumb ass assumption that the sale was being made in 2024!
I used today's (08/27/24 )Apple stock price as an example.
You need to read a little closer but that's truly an impossibility as your attention span is less than the Average American's of 8.5 seconds!

Kamala Harris Unrealized Gains Tax Should Worry Voters​

The potential for Kamala Harris to push a 25% unrealized gains tax is worrisome, as it could drive wealth out of the U.S.
Here is how it will affect the average American.
The average ultra-wealthy bought 10,000 shares of Apple stock in 1980 for $22.00 a share or $220,000 cost buy 10,000 shares.
Under Kama-kama-chameleon plan this "ultra-wealthy" will have to pay 25% on the $20,780,000 gain or $5,195,000 taxes.

BUT the 25% taxes will come OUT of either selling the stock or out of the "ultra-wealthy" other income.
The "ultra-wealthy" Apple stock holder will be paying that $5.1 million every year!

Now for those of you truly ignorant people who think that is so great...

YOU have NO idea what that will do to the economy as these "ultra-wealthy" will be cutting back on their building businesses, hiring people, buying goods and services. This will be disastrous for the rest of us Americans.

The wealth effect is a behavioral economic theory suggesting that people spend more as the value of their assets rise.
The idea is that consumers feel more financially secure and confident about their wealth when their homes or investment portfolios increase in value.
The "ultra wealthy" send their money to Panama. Shed no tears for them.

The "ultra wealthy" send their money to Panama. Shed no tears for them.
Oh the tears aren't for them! It's the stupidity of people about taxes these people never understood, that under Trump
did the following:
As of 2015, US corporations accumulated more than $2.6 trillion of earnings in foreign subsidiaries, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.
Trump pushed congress to pass the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA),

As a result, US companies brought back nearly $ 1 trillion of the above $2.6 trillion offshore.

Immediate net result according to the CBO Federal Tax revenue would increase over the next 9 years by $570 billion!

All because US companies could bring back money from overseas and pay less taxes! THINK what that meant!
Also most people, (maybe you???) aren't aware of "double taxation" of dividends... i.e. Double taxation refers to income taxes paid twice on the same income source. It occurs when income is taxed at both the corporate and personal level,

So companies that used some of the repatriated $1 Trillion bought back stock..
"most shareholders who realize gains from dividend payouts or buybacks owe tax at the long-term capital gains tax rate, not the individual income tax rate. Jul 23, 2024
And these taxes would be paid on the shareholders

TrumpTaxcutsbenefitsCBO.png

Kamala's stupid plan doesn't tax old unrealized capital gains? Link?

Kamala Harris Unrealized Gains Tax Should Worry Voters​

The potential for Kamala Harris to push a 25% unrealized gains tax is worrisome, as it could drive wealth out of the U.S.
Here is how it will affect the average American.

BUT the 25% taxes will come OUT of either selling the stock or out of the "ultra-wealthy" other income.
The "ultra-wealthy" Apple stock holder will be paying that $5.1 million every year!

Now for those of you truly ignorant people who think that is so great...

YOU have NO idea what that will do to the economy as these "ultra-wealthy" will be cutting back on their building businesses, hiring people, buying goods and services. This will be disastrous for the rest of us Americans.

The wealth effect is a behavioral economic theory suggesting that people spend more as the value of their assets rise.
The idea is that consumers feel more financially secure and confident about their wealth when their homes or investment portfolios increase in value.
I love you math fails.

Oh the tears aren't for them! It's the stupidity of people about taxes these people never understood, that under Trump
did the following:
As of 2015, US corporations accumulated more than $2.6 trillion of earnings in foreign subsidiaries, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.
Trump pushed congress to pass the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA),

As a result, US companies brought back nearly $ 1 trillion of the above $2.6 trillion offshore.

Immediate net result according to the CBO Federal Tax revenue would increase over the next 9 years by $570 billion!

All because US companies could bring back money from overseas and pay less taxes! THINK what that meant!
Also most people, (maybe you???) aren't aware of "double taxation" of dividends... i.e. Double taxation refers to income taxes paid twice on the same income source. It occurs when income is taxed at both the corporate and personal level,

So companies that used some of the repatriated $1 Trillion bought back stock..
"most shareholders who realize gains from dividend payouts or buybacks owe tax at the long-term capital gains tax rate, not the individual income tax rate. Jul 23, 2024
And these taxes would be paid on the shareholders

View attachment 1002754
The US is an unequal society because of unfair taxation. The rich get too many tax breaks.

Kamala's stupid plan doesn't tax old unrealized capital gains? Link?

"Kamala's plan" is just an endorsement of Administration's FY 2025 revenues proposal found on Page 83 :

"The proposal would impose a minimum tax of 25 percent on total income, generally inclusive of unrealized capital gains, for all taxpayers with wealth (that is, the difference obtained bysubtracting liabilities from assets) greater than $100 million."

It is fundamentally an annual income tax, not wealth tax.

Last edited:
Bingo.

Unrealized gains taxing would be workable in a framework where government is taxing upside while crediting the downside through the years.

Otherwise it's too punitive.

If they credited the downside, I could see it working, in theory.

Forum List

Back