Your favorite bible verse

The only context I can see is telling slaves to shut up and get back to work, because a slave should consider their owner almost equal to god. Perhaps you can point out some other context. I'm not sure how many slaves had a choice in whether they became slaves in the first place.

Ephesians 6:5-8 “Slaves, be obedient to your human masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ”

Colossians 3:22-24 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

1 Timothy 6:1-2 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2 Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare[a] of their slaves.

Titus 2:9 Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them.

So your a saying your ignorant to history?

So your a saying your ignorant to history?
I'm saying the bible has historically condoned slavery. I can understand how society can change, and something that was once accepted is not now, but adherents to the bible claim that type change is not possible with scripture. God's word doesn't change, does it?

I'm saying the bible has historically condoned slavery. I can understand how society can change, and something that was once accepted is not now, but adherents to the bible claim that type change is not possible with scripture. God's word doesn't change, does it?
Not a literal bible thumper, God did say he made a mistake when he created man and him changing his mind about the law of Moses is weird to me in the NT

Not a literal bible thumper, God did say he made a mistake when he created man and him changing his mind about the law of Moses is weird to me in the NT
No change between the OT/NT when it comes to slavery. Slaves were told to shut up, and get back to work, and to consider their owner as they would god, in both places. My biggest point of disorientation is when and how Paul ended up with equal, or more authority than Jesus.

Where else can you get a big thumbs up to buying children?

Leviticus 25: 44-45
And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have — from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves. Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property.
Isn't it horrible when you rent a servant for 7 years and you have to treat them like royalty and teach them a trade so they can make a living??
O! That's right...you didn't read the other verses.

No change between the OT/NT when it comes to slavery. Slaves were told to shut up, and get back to work, and to consider their owner as they would god, in both places. My biggest point of disorientation is when and how Paul ended up with equal, or more authority than Jesus.
Link to the verses in the Torah.
HINT...You can't because they aren't there.

Isn't it horrible when you rent a servant for 7 years and you have to treat them like royalty and teach them a trade so they can make a living??
O! That's right...you didn't read the other verses.
You're right. I didn't mention the part where when he is set free, he can't take his wife and children with him. They are still the owner's property. If he decides to stay with his family, he becomes the owner's property for life. I didn't mention that that freedom thing only applies to countrymen. Slaves from another country, their wives, and their children are property forever, and can be sold separately, as their owner sees fit. I wonder what it was like for those slaves to have their children sold to someone else.

You're right. I didn't mention the part where when he is set free, he can't take his wife and children with him. They are still the owner's property. If he decides to stay with his family, he becomes the owner's property for life. I didn't mention that that freedom thing only applies to countrymen. Slaves from another country, their wives, and their children are property forever, and can be sold separately, as their owner sees fit. I wonder what it was like for those slaves to have their children sold to someone else.
The Talmud records that close to 100% of those non-Jewish servants, not slaves, chose to stay with the Jewish masters because their lives were way better than living in that day's equivalent of a NYC slum.
Ever wonder why non-Jews who work for Jews never leave for a job under a non-Jew?
It's obvious you never read the Talmud where non-Jewish children were rarely separated from their parents except where the Jew lost his business and had to live a simpler life.

Try harder.

Slaves from another country, their wives, and their children are property forever

Incorrect...they can be freed even against their will.

The Talmud records that close to 100% of those non-Jewish servants, not slaves, chose to stay with the Jewish masters because their lives were way better than living in that day's equivalent of a NYC slum.
Ever wonder why non-Jews who work for Jews never leave for a job under a non-Jew?
It's obvious you never read the Talmud where non-Jewish children were rarely separated from their parents except where the Jew lost his business and had to live a simpler life.

Try harder.
The discussion is about bible verses. Not the Talmud. They aren't the same thing.

Slaves from another country, their wives, and their children are property forever

Incorrect...they can be freed even against their will.
Can be, if the slave owner so chooses. He can always give away any of his property he wants.

The discussion is about bible verses. Not the Talmud. They aren't the same thing.
Hilarious...If what you say holds water, we wouldn't have a Constitution or lawyers.
You may as well say that every written work stands on it's own in today's world without commentary.

Hilarious...If what you say holds water, we wouldn't have a Constitution or lawyers.
You may as well say that every written work stands on it's own in today's world without commentary.
The constitution is another document that isn't the bible.

Can be, if the slave owner so chooses. He can always give away any of his property he wants.
Once again, the word Eved means servant, not slave, just as the Jews are Evedim (servants) of God, not slaves of God.
You don't even know the language of the verse you're trying to debate.
I actually appreciate the fact that you recognize the fact that the servant is the owner's property.
Jewish owners don't abuse their property; in fact, causing damage to any of one's property is not allowed.

Forum List

Back