Your Speech Is Packed With Misunderstood, Unconscious Messages

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
direct

I wonā€™t name him, but we all know of a major figure who couldnā€™t speak one sentence without an um or an uh. Oh yeah, and lots of Is.

Saying ā€œumā€ is the speakerā€™s way of signaling that processing is ongoing, the verbal equivalent of a computerā€™s spinning circle. People sometimes have more disfluencies while speaking in public, ironically, because they are trying hard not to misspeak.

So says the author.

More @ Your Speech Is Packed With Misunderstood, Unconscious Messages - Nautilus - Pocket

I used to work with this Arab who I would avoid talking to because of his constant "ehhhhhhhhh'. I was like he couldn't have a second of silence.

"Can you ehhhh go out to aehhhh the aircraft and verify ehhhh that the ehhhh pods are aehhhhh attached?"

Many years ago I attended a couple of Toastmaster public speaker meetings to improve my communications skills.

I learned the most egregious offense a person speaking in public was the constant interjecting of "um" between sentences. ... :cool:

direct

I wonā€™t name him, but we all know of a major figure who couldnā€™t speak one sentence without an um or an uh. Oh yeah, and lots of Is.

Saying ā€œumā€ is the speakerā€™s way of signaling that processing is ongoing, the verbal equivalent of a computerā€™s spinning circle. People sometimes have more disfluencies while speaking in public, ironically, because they are trying hard not to misspeak.

So says the author.

More @ Your Speech Is Packed With Misunderstood, Unconscious Messages - Nautilus - Pocket
Um...always call a Barry a Barry.

Barry's "uuhhhhs" were processing to remember which lie he's supposed to be telling, or to prevent blurting out some Marxist crap that he really wanted to say.

It's no secret that subconscious pervert Joe Biden can't put a sentence together without hugging some babe or slapping Hillary on the ass.

Forum List

Back