1/3 of U.S. honeybee colonies died last year

Ah yes, those damned government regulations again. But endangering our food supply is not a wise thing to do.

I've wondered if that moron Monsanto created a species of pest that would intentionally survive pesticides so in turn he would making billions of his miracle round up spray , and two his magic seeds that bugs just oh never touch Frankenfruit , you know the genetically modified, then we have his seeds that will not grow again.

His bs are creating bs crops, killing farm animals etc. or at least genetically messing them up.

Another damn RWNJ who voted to let Monsanto coat his food with poison and not allow farmers to use seed savers.

How many of you damn brainless fools have a Roundup in your garden supples"

You need to be really glad we're not face to face because ibswaervto fucking god, id slap the stupid out of you.

[emoji90]

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
You are such a lying lil twat..... why is that???? VILSAK is all DEM so he is your baby.......
November 12, 2008
Six Reasons Why Obama Appointing Monsanto's Buddy, Former Iowa Governor Vilsack, for USDA Head Would be a Terrible Idea...............
Organic Consumers Association
Politics & Globalization,
Genetic Engineering,
Millions Against Monsanto
TAKE ACTION TO STOP VILSACK'S CONFIRMATION

* Former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack's support of genetically engineered pharmaceutical crops, especially pharmaceutical corn:
2-Plants: US politicans attack BIO's GMO moratorium
Biotech Bullies Back off on GE Drugs in Corn Crops

* The biggest biotechnology industry group, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, named Vilsack Governor of the Year. He was also the founder and former chair of the Governor's Biotechnology Partnership.
http://www.bio.org/news/pressreleases/newsitem.asp?id=2001_0920_01

* When Vilsack created the Iowa Values Fund, his first poster child of economic development potential was Trans Ova and their pursuit of cloning dairy cows.

* Vilsack was the origin of the seed pre-emption bill in 2005, which many people here in Iowa fought because it took away local government's possibility of ever having a regulation on seeds- where GE would be grown, having GE-free buffers, banning pharma corn locally, etc. Representative Sandy Greiner, the Republican sponsor of the bill, bragged on the House Floor that Vilsack put her up to it right after his state of the state address............................more at link

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack Meets with Monsanto to Discuss Agricultural ‘Advances’ for 2016

Or is it really just a 'biotech' get-together?

by Christina Sarich
Posted on December 27, 2015
The United States Secretary of Agriculture, Tom Vilsack, recently met with high-ups at Monsanto and other companies to discuss agricultural ‘advances’ for 2016. But was this really a ‘forum,’ or a way for Vilsack to promote Monsanto? And why were Monsanto insiders ever appointed to protect the safety of our food?

Vilsack’s meeting sounds more like a master conflicts of interest group get-together for the biotech and industrial agricultural model, especially when you consider who was leading the discussion:

• Vilsack was named Governor of the Year by the biggest biotechnology industry group, the Biotechnology Industry Organization. He was also the founder and former chair of the Governor’s Biotechnology Partnership.
  • When Vilsack created the Iowa Values Fund, his first poster child of economic development potential was Trans Ova and their pursuit of cloning dairy cows.
  • The undemocratic and highly unpopular 2005 seed pre-emption bill was Vilsack’s brainchild. The law strips local government’s right to regulated genetically engineered seed (including where GE can be grown, maintaining GE-free buffers or banning pharma corn locally).
  • Vilsack is an enthusiastic supporter of corn and soy-based biofuels, which use as much or more fossil fuel energy to produce them as they generate, while driving up world food prices and literally starving the poor. Funny how GM corn and soy now proliferate the US landscape, under heavily government subsidized funding, no less.

America’s beekeepers watched as a third of the country’s honeybee colonies were lost over the last year, part of a decade-long die-off experts said may threaten our food supply. The annual survey of roughly 5,000 beekeepers showed the 33% dip from April 2016 to April 2017. The decrease is small compared to the survey’s previous 10 years, when the decrease hovered at roughly 40%. From 2012 to 2013, nearly half of the nation’s colonies died. “I would stop short of calling this

1/3 of U.S. Honeybee Colonies Died Last Year
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the bees die mankind dies, and no their fkd up robotic little bees are not going to work as they sell that monsanto bs to these idiots who think they will be just as good. NOTHING CAN REPLACE NATURE nor WORK like nature.

Everything has balance and when it is disrupted things begin to collapse. .................Including people going fkn gay for the hell of it or turning into tranny's for the hell of it.

More hyperbole?

The most essential staple food crops on the planet, like corn, wheat, rice, soybeans and sorghum, need no insect help at all; they are wind-pollinated or self-pollinating. Other staple food crops, like bananas and plantains, are sterile and propagated from cuttings, requiring no pollination of any form, ever. Further, foods such as root vegetables and salad crops will produce a useful food crop without pollination, though they may not set seed; and hybrids do not even require insect pollination to produce seeds for the next generation, because hybrid production is always human-pollinated. Many of the most desirable and common non-hybrid crops, like heirloom tomatoes, are self-pollinated, which is what makes their cultivar stable.

List of crop plants pollinated by bees - Wikipedia
Did you know that social ground wasps will actually ruin the apples while they are still on the tree. They may pollinate some but not much and they are also destructive if there are too many of them. The larger and a smaller wasps and hornets actually eat aphids and other destructive pest and some of these can be beneficial.

interesting stuff! My daughter was a biology major and is now an Army officer. She is sitting next to me and gave me the info where to look for confirmation that this thread is much ado about nothing, like most of the OP's crap.

The neighbors put in a couple of hives this year, so there are honey bees everywhere.

I didn't even realize I hadn't seen them in numbers in years until they showed up...

America’s beekeepers watched as a third of the country’s honeybee colonies were lost over the last year, part of a decade-long die-off experts said may threaten our food supply. The annual survey of roughly 5,000 beekeepers showed the 33% dip from April 2016 to April 2017. The decrease is small compared to the survey’s previous 10 years, when the decrease hovered at roughly 40%. From 2012 to 2013, nearly half of the nation’s colonies died. “I would stop short of calling this

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the bees die mankind dies, and no their fkd up robotic little bees are not going to work as they sell that monsanto bs to these idiots who think they will be just as good. NOTHING CAN REPLACE NATURE nor WORK like nature.

Everything has balance and when it is disrupted things begin to collapse. .................Including people going fkn gay for the hell of it or turning into tranny's for the hell of it.

More hyperbole?

The most essential staple food crops on the planet, like corn, wheat, rice, soybeans and sorghum, need no insect help at all; they are wind-pollinated or self-pollinating. Other staple food crops, like bananas and plantains, are sterile and propagated from cuttings, requiring no pollination of any form, ever. Further, foods such as root vegetables and salad crops will produce a useful food crop without pollination, though they may not set seed; and hybrids do not even require insect pollination to produce seeds for the next generation, because hybrid production is always human-pollinated. Many of the most desirable and common non-hybrid crops, like heirloom tomatoes, are self-pollinated, which is what makes their cultivar stable.

Did you know that social ground wasps will actually ruin the apples while they are still on the tree. They may pollinate some but not much and they are also destructive if there are too many of them. The larger and a smaller wasps and hornets actually eat aphids and other destructive pest and some of these can be beneficial.

interesting stuff! My daughter was a biology major and is now an Army officer. She is sitting next to me and gave me the info where to look for confirmation that this thread is much ado about nothing, like most of the OP's crap.
I suppose you can think whatever you like. I study what grows on our place and what is all around it. I also kept photo logs of what I have found as I studied the parasites, bugs, moths, butterflies, types of bees, what they eat, etc.......

More hyperbole?

upload_2017-5-27_20-26-49.png

The neighbors put in a couple of hives this year, so there are honey bees everywhere.

I didn't even realize I hadn't seen them in numbers in years until they showed up...
Plant a garden! You'll see amazing results if your neighbor has a hive. Talk with him/her though and make sure that they are using a barrier to getting the bees up above people quickly. Bee's prefer trees more than anything, but the biggest reason for them to get low is water. Be sure you don't have large quantities of water because the bees will use it. Particularly chlorinated water. The scent draws them like crazy.[/QUOTE]

Plant a garden! You'll see amazing results if your neighbor has a hive. Talk with him/her though and make sure that they are using a barrier to getting the bees up above people quickly. Bee's prefer trees more than anything, but the biggest reason for them to get low is water. Be sure you don't have large quantities of water because the bees will use it. Particularly chlorinated water. The scent draws them like crazy.
Butterflies are drawn to water sources in the summer too. I found that one year when we cleaned some of throw rugs outside the butterflies and bees were all drawn to them while they were wet so they could get drinks from the moisture. A wet sponge set in a container in a tree will also give them a place to get a drink when it is dry.

Plant a garden! You'll see amazing results if your neighbor has a hive. Talk with him/her though and make sure that they are using a barrier to getting the bees up above people quickly. Bee's prefer trees more than anything, but the biggest reason for them to get low is water. Be sure you don't have large quantities of water because the bees will use it. Particularly chlorinated water. The scent draws them like crazy.
Butterflies are drawn to water sources in the summer too. I found that one year when we cleaned some of throw rugs outside the butterflies and bees were all drawn to them while they were wet so they could get drinks from the moisture. A wet sponge set in a container in a tree will also give them a place to get a drink when it is dry.
I've heard that the usual bee sources for water tend to be bird baths and swimming pools. I can understand the swimming pools because the chlorine smell attracts the bees. Stil, bees will congregate on any larger water source. Manly because the foragers will bring water back to the colony along with nectar, pollen, and propolis.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely did. Put in a stand of Mexican sunflowers in part to feed the little bastards and the monarchs. Put in some milkweed also, which will work for them also.

I love seeing them and am totally on board with that plan.

I live on a river, so the bees have all the water their little hearts desire.

All the neighbors in the immediate vicinty are gardeners. These guys will do quite well I think.

If the government wasn't wasting so much of our limited scientific research dollars (literally billions, that's no exaggeration) on global warming bullshit then perhaps we would know what is causing the problem.

Call off the bee-pocalypse: U.S. honeybee colonies hit a 20-year high

So if CCD is wiping out close to a third of all honeybee colonies a year, how are their numbers rising?
I cannot access that article, but it seems inconsistent with other reports, then again, it is the Washington Compost.

Colony collapse disorder - Wikipedia

The National Agriculture Statistics Service reported 2.44 million honey-producing hives were in the United States in February 2008, down from 4.5 million in 1980, and 5.9 million in 1947, though these numbers underestimate the total number of managed hives, as they exclude several thousand hives managed for pollination contracts only, and also do not include hives managed by beekeepers owning fewer than five hives. This under-representation may be offset by the practice of counting some hives more than once; hives that are moved to different states to produce honey are counted in each state's total and summed in total counts.[29]

Non-CCD winter losses as high as 50% have occurred in some years and regions (e.g., 2000–2001 in Pennsylvania). Normal winter losses are typically in the range of 15–25%. In many cases, beekeepers reporting significant losses of bees did not experience true CCD, but losses due to other causes.

In 2007 in the US, at least 24 different states[30] had reported at least one case of CCD.[31] In a 2007 survey of 384 responding beekeepers from 13 states, 23.8% met the specified criterion for CCD (that 50% or more of their dead colonies were found without bees and/or with very few dead bees in the hive or apiary).[31]

In the US in 2006–2007, CCD-suffering operations had a total loss of 45% compared to the total loss of 25% of all colonies experienced by non-CCD suffering beekeepers.[29][31]

A 2007–2008 survey of over 19% of all colonies revealed a total loss of 35.8%. Operations that pollinated almonds lost, on average, the same number of colonies as those that did not. The 37.9% of operations that reported having at least some of their colonies die with a complete lack of bees had a total loss of 40.8% of colonies compared to the 17.1% loss reported by beekeepers without this symptom. Large operations were more likely to have this symptom, suggesting a contagious condition may be a causal factor. About 60% of all colonies that were reported dead in this survey died without the presence of dead bees in the hive, thus possibly suffered from CCD.[29]

In 2010, the USDA reported that data on overall honey bee losses for the year indicate an estimated 34% loss, which is statistically similar to losses reported in 2007, 2008, and 2009.[22] In 2011, the loss was 30%.[32] In 2012–2013, CCD was blamed for the loss of about half of the US honey bee hives, far more than the 33% losses observed on average over previous years.​

United-States-honeybee-losses-to-2015--USDA-ARS.jpg

I've heard that the usual bee sources for water tend to be bird baths and swimming pools. I can understand the swimming pools because the chlorine smell attracts the bees. Stil, bees will congregate on any larger water source. Manly because the foragers will bring water back to the colony along with nectar, pollen, and propolis.
We have a pond not far from the house and I watch them gather at the edges where the mud is but the different ones seem to like different avenues to get a drink when its not super dry. The butterflies that are not skiddish really like having an easy access point like the sponges for water as most of the flowers and goodies like water melon rinds and such are out front or to the side.

Call off the bee-pocalypse: U.S. honeybee colonies hit a 20-year high

So if CCD is wiping out close to a third of all honeybee colonies a year, how are their numbers rising?
I cannot access that article, but it seems inconsistent with other reports, then again, it is the Washington Compost.

Colony collapse disorder - Wikipedia

The National Agriculture Statistics Service reported 2.44 million honey-producing hives were in the United States in February 2008, down from 4.5 million in 1980, and 5.9 million in 1947, though these numbers underestimate the total number of managed hives, as they exclude several thousand hives managed for pollination contracts only, and also do not include hives managed by beekeepers owning fewer than five hives. This under-representation may be offset by the practice of counting some hives more than once; hives that are moved to different states to produce honey are counted in each state's total and summed in total counts.[29]

Non-CCD winter losses as high as 50% have occurred in some years and regions (e.g., 2000–2001 in Pennsylvania). Normal winter losses are typically in the range of 15–25%. In many cases, beekeepers reporting significant losses of bees did not experience true CCD, but losses due to other causes.

In 2007 in the US, at least 24 different states[30] had reported at least one case of CCD.[31] In a 2007 survey of 384 responding beekeepers from 13 states, 23.8% met the specified criterion for CCD (that 50% or more of their dead colonies were found without bees and/or with very few dead bees in the hive or apiary).[31]

In the US in 2006–2007, CCD-suffering operations had a total loss of 45% compared to the total loss of 25% of all colonies experienced by non-CCD suffering beekeepers.[29][31]

A 2007–2008 survey of over 19% of all colonies revealed a total loss of 35.8%. Operations that pollinated almonds lost, on average, the same number of colonies as those that did not. The 37.9% of operations that reported having at least some of their colonies die with a complete lack of bees had a total loss of 40.8% of colonies compared to the 17.1% loss reported by beekeepers without this symptom. Large operations were more likely to have this symptom, suggesting a contagious condition may be a causal factor. About 60% of all colonies that were reported dead in this survey died without the presence of dead bees in the hive, thus possibly suffered from CCD.[29]

In 2010, the USDA reported that data on overall honey bee losses for the year indicate an estimated 34% loss, which is statistically similar to losses reported in 2007, 2008, and 2009.[22] In 2011, the loss was 30%.[32] In 2012–2013, CCD was blamed for the loss of about half of the US honey bee hives, far more than the 33% losses observed on average over previous years.​

United-States-honeybee-losses-to-2015--USDA-ARS.jpg
Conservation Work for Honey Bees | NRCS

Everything has balance and when it is disrupted things begin to collapse
May 28 Update to the MindWars Doom-Tracker (tm)

1. Flu Pandemic
2. Financial collapse
3. War with Korea
4. Artificial intelligence run amok
5. Mass extinctions
6. Heavily armed Muslims in the US
7. Russian Bombers
8. Wild fires out of control with some secret reason they started
9. Nuclear war wipes out everyone
10. Massive power outage with boilerplate FEMA reference
11. FEMA Operation Gotham false flag
12. Cell phones causing brain cancer
13. Coronal hole from giant fissure on the sun
14. Popocatépetl volcano
15. Facial recognition not really for illegals
16. Cyber attack on power grid
17. Nuclear missile hitting California
18. Deadly fungus "catastrophic threat" to US
19. Global debt explosion
20. American debt bomb
21. Scientists warn of apocalypse
22. Europe taken over by Islam
23. Earthquakes off Alaska
24. 1984 style censorship
25. Anonymous says prepare for World War 3
26. EMP Strike on USA
27. New tick virus worse than lyme
28. Water supply poisoned
29. Acetaminophen blocking empathy
30. Campi Flegrei volcano devastating eruption possible
31. China/Russia New World Order
32. Dangerous Parasite, with a hint of FDA conspiracy
33. Mt. St Helens recharging, with death reference
34. Google facial recognition AI
35. MAJOR plutonium release into air
36. "Ominous" ransomware message, with hilariously non sequitur reference to leftists
37. Radical Islam's Third Jihad
38. Bee colonies dying = civilization collapse

Absolutely did. Put in a stand of Mexican sunflowers in part to feed the little bastards and the monarchs. Put in some milkweed also, which will work for them also.

I love seeing them and am totally on board with that plan.

I live on a river, so the bees have all the water their little hearts desire.

All the neighbors in the immediate vicinty are gardeners. These guys will do quite well I think.[/QUOTE][/quote]
Nice. Any thoughts of starting a colony or two yourself?

One thing people need to realize is that the hype about mankind ending if the honey bee dies is just that -- hype. There are OTHER pollinating insects on this planet and if worst comes to worst, we can hand pollinate. An interesting fact is that the honey bee is not native to North America. However, they do play a huge and important role in our agriculture economy and therefore are extremely important.

If you find the honey bee as fascinating as I do, I would encourage you to try a hive or two. The little buggers can captivate you with their industry.

Just remember this. People get into beekeeping for the honey. They also get OUT of bee-keeping because of the honey. Little bastards can make a LOT of honey! lol

One thing people need to realize is that the hype about mankind ending if the honey bee dies is just that -- hype. There are OTHER pollinating insects on this planet and if worst comes to worst, we can hand pollinate. An interesting fact is that the honey bee is not native to North America. However, they do play a huge and important role in our agriculture economy and therefore are extremely important.

If you find the honey bee as fascinating as I do, I would encourage you to try a hive or two. The little buggers can captivate you with their industry.

Just remember this. People get into beekeeping for the honey. They also get OUT of bee-keeping because of the honey. Little bastards can make a LOT of honey! lol
I'd love to have some here but for now we'll just have to be happy with whatever comes over to feed.

And it has nothing to do with gorbal warming (aka: climate change) and everything to do with genetic engineering crops with toxins.

Not so fast...

How Climate Change is Messing with Bees | Smart News | Smithsonian

Forum List

Back