1 Corinth 10:3-9 Wow. No wonder there are so many agnostics.

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

Really? Ouch.

So do millions and millions of people believe that the are going to heaven where women are second class citizens? I guess beliefs like these do a lot to explain some of American history. I am constantly coming across stuff like this and saying, "Oh! That is where that comes from."

So do millions and millions of people believe that the are going to heaven where women are second class citizens? I guess beliefs like these do a lot to explain some of American history. I am constantly coming across stuff like this and saying, "Oh! That is where that comes from."
I used to study the Bible a lot and finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't an organization I wanted to be a part of....

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

Really? Ouch.
1 Corinthians 11:3-9 was written at a particular time to a particular church. The fashions and customs of that time do not apply to us today, but they do make a good metaphor for the spiritual point Paul was trying to make.

First, ignoring custom, some women were apparently appearing in church without their veils. Paul reminded them that the veil was the sign of the woman's authority, and she should not remove it from her head, the veil being the sign she was under the protection of a man. In Genesis the whole (both man and woman) was said to be created in the image and likeness of God, and together the two were to multiply and be above the lower creations.

In a culture where it is taken as a matter of course that men were the head of the woman, and God/Christ was the head of man, this all tied together, emphasizing God is the head of mankind. "Women, in the way you are subordinate to your husband (his helpmeet), so your husband is subordinate to God. In today's culture, Paul might have said, "Just as children are subordinate to their parents, so the parents are subordinate to God."

Thank you for pointing that out, Meriweather. It is chapter 11. I had my Bible open and the page started with chapter 10 but the verses are indeed from chapter 11.

There is no belief that women are second class citizens. Together with man, women make up the image and likeness of God. In Biblical times, women were under the protection of men, and yes, often regarded as the property of man. She was his rib. ;) In Christ's ministry (and it can be seen in Paul's as well) this recognition of women as part and parcel of the image of God--on par with men--can be seen. What we also see both Christ and Paul emphasizing is obedience. Obedience of wife to husband; of husband to God; husband loving wife in the same manner God loves.

I used to study the Bible a lot and finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't an organization I wanted to be a part of....
But this is not what the Bible teaches, not the OT anyway. The LORD himself said the daughters of Zelophehad should inherit their father's lot, as in free and clean theirs. Heck, Ester pretty much saved saved every single Jew single-handly. There is a ten chapter book in the Bible dedicated to her.

There is no belief that women are second class citizens. Together with man, women make up the image and likeness of God. In Biblical times, women were under the protection of men, and yes, often regarded as the property of man. She was his rib. ;) In Christ's ministry (and it can be seen in Paul's as well) this recognition of women as part and parcel of the image of God--on par with men--can be seen. What we also see both Christ and Paul emphasizing is obedience. Obedience of wife to husband; of husband to God; husband loving wife in the same manner God loves.
So you are saying they get to ride on the same bus. Got it.

Indulge me to tell you a little story I read. There was this guy, Manoah, whose wife was unable to have any children. The angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman and said she would bear a child, a son. She told her husband that angel of the LORD came to her but because her husband was a jealous man she told here husband he had a terrible countenance, like an angel of the LORD. Manoach thought she was lying so he asked the LORD that the man come to him also. The LORD did come again but to the woman while she was out in the field resting from her work. Her husband was not with her. The woman ran to the house to get her husband. When she came in he got off his butt and went out to see the man. Manoah said so how should we raise this kid. And the angel said, "I already told your wife." Manoah offered to feed the angel of the LORD. The angel of the LORD said he would not eat of thy bread because clearly the woman was doing all the work to make the bread and he did not want to add to her burden. Manoah still believed neither his wife not the angel of the LORD so he asked him his name. And the angel of the LORD, knowing his ruse, gave it not. When Manoah put the meat offering upon a rock a flame went up toward heaven and the angel of the LORD ascended up that flame into heaven. It was at this time that Manoah finally figured out that it was indeed an angel of the LORD. Manoah said to his wife that they would surely die. His wife, know it had been an angel of the LORD the whole time, said the angel of the LORD probably would have done it by now if he was going to. The couple named the kid Samson but that is a story for another time.

And what is the moral of the story? If you guys think that God has put you on some kind of pedestal, think again. God knows a bum when he sees one. Don't be a bum!

(Judges chapter 13 if you want it from God. Please use KJV.)

What was Manoah's wife's name?

It's funny how the Bible, the very word of God, preaches how equal men and women are, but can't be bothered to give so many wives and daughters a name to go along with their contributions.

It's funny how the Bible, the very word of God, preaches how equal men and women are, but can't be bothered to give so many wives and daughters a name to go along with their contributions.

paul the inventor of christinsanity said: Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 1 Corinthians 14:34

I wonder just how different the world would be today if Paul didn't have so many hang ups about women and sex.

The Bible was written by men so it's no surprise they laid out Biblical law to favor themselves over women.

This aspect of the story is a puzzle. The Bible mentions mothers and wives and daughters names regularly. That the main character is a woman but her name is not mentioned is noteworthy. It may be to show she represents women in general, that is just a wild guess though. The tribe of Dan themselves were not the most behaved of Jacob's children. Judges chapter 18 has some stuff about the Dan brethren.

(Should have put this in the other reply.) Actually off the top of my head I do not know of a single tale where a woman contributes and not named, besides this one of course. (Bible= KJV OT for me)

Forum List

Back