14 y.o. black intrudor shot and killed in Louisiana, white home owner arrested.

I feel for the shooter. I really do. He wants to protect his family but as a gun owner, you are responsible for your actions with that gun. This was a bad shoot. That shit stain kid was probably going to break in. Let him. Then kill him and go on with your life.

Or he was going to swipe a bike. Not a reason to kill someone. Or shoot them in the head.
Not sure what you can do if you actually catch him stealing a bike from your yard, but I do know shooting him is out. Subdue until the cops come?

Everyone seems to be able to film things on their cell phones these days. I think turning on the outdoor lights and/or calling the cops would have been the prudent thing to do while filming.

Nobody (except, maybe, the 14-year-old, and the shooter) know what the kid was up to...

For all the shooter knew, next step was jimmying the house door-lock or a window-lock or something...

The shooter commanded the 'dark shape' in the back yard to freeze or halt, and when it did not, he fired...

Better that, than give the 'dark shape' a chance to pull-out a weapon or jump you...

Or harm your little daughter or pregnant wife...

I understand why the guy did it...

The question will now become whether The Law ultimately agrees with him as well...

We're going to learn that answer, soon enough, one way or another...

Or he was going to swipe a bike. Not a reason to kill someone. Or shoot them in the head.
Not sure what you can do if you actually catch him stealing a bike from your yard, but I do know shooting him is out. Subdue until the cops come?

Everyone seems to be able to film things on their cell phones these days. I think turning on the outdoor lights and/or calling the cops would have been the prudent thing to do while filming.

I don't think he fired a random shot in the dark and got someone in the head.

Nobody (except, maybe, the 14-year-old, and the shooter) know what the kid was up to...

For all the shooter knew, next step was jimmying the house door-lock or a window-lock or something...

The shooter commanded the 'dark shape' in the back yard to freeze or halt, and when it did not, he fired...

Better that, than give the 'dark shape' a chance to pull-out a weapon or jump you...

The question will now become whether The Law ultimately agrees with him as well...

I hope the neighbor's home surveillance system caught it all. If not, I'm thinking he will have big problems. The use of deadly force has its limitations anywhere except inside your home, and in some states it even has limitations there.

Really? Didn't you just say you had a patient that fired a random shot of warning in the air and killed a child? Stranger things have happened! :)

Immie

I hope the neighbor's home surveillance system caught it all. If not, I'm thinking he will have big problems. The use of deadly force has its limitations anywhere except inside your home, and in some states it even has limitations there.

I'm kind of hoping the kid makes a miraculous recovery and all Landry has to face is a reckless endangerment charge. Wait a minute. I think I mixed up my cases, I thought he was in a coma, title of thread says killed.

Immie

Last edited:
Zimmerman Redux, Merritt Landry | Louisiana Self-defense - Downtrend.com

This is getting ridiculous. The prosecutor is going after this man only because he is a white man who killed a black man, and had it been a black man who killed that young man no one would have said shit.

Do people realize what this will lead to if it keeps up?

I can see how this could happen. 1:44 Am guys at home with pregnant wife and kid. Dog starts barking,somebody jumps over an Iron fence into a yard so you automatacally assume he is up to no good and he is ready to confront you cause your car is there and he knows your home. You yell freeze and the guy turns with his hand on his hip, might have a gun. It's dark,it's 1:44 am, you just woke up,all kids should be in bed right? So Landry fires thinking he's about to become a victim himself.

People really responsible for this are the parents. At 14 that kid should have been home safely tucked in bed, not wandering the streets.

I did a lot of reading on this case when the story broke. A couple of things come to mind. One, his wife is pregnant. Two, there was a home invasion just a couple of blocks away, a couple of hours before. Don't ask for the link, I am full of good BBQ and not a few beers. But those facts right there are enough to say he was probably a bit twitchy about defending his family to the best of his ability.

The main reason I wish he wouldn't have shot the kid is because he is a dad with one on the way. He's a good guy. He shouldn't be out on bail, and waiting for trial. I think he made a stupid mistake.

I wish he wouldn't have shot the kid too, I also don't think he should be on bail cause I don't think he should be charged with anything. It's sad that a kid was killed but I don't see how Landry could have know it was a 14 year old and not a 24 year old. At age 14 the kid knew he had no business being there, he may not have thought he was gonna get shot but he knew he was doing wrong. At 1:44 am the kid wasn't retrieveing a ball, he was there for Mischief. IMHO it was tragic but the people who should be arrested are the kids parents,they failed him miserably.

I'm kind of hoping the kid makes a miraculous recovery and all Landry has to face is a reckless endangerment charge. Wait a minute. I think I mixed up my cases, I thought he was in a coma, title of thread says killed.

Immie

I don't think he is dead or in a coma. I saw on article that said he was unable to move some of his limbs.

Really? Didn't you just say you had a patient that fired a random shot of warning in the air and killed a child? Stranger things have happened! :)

Immie

Yes, it has happened, more than once. I just don't think this case was in the dark or a warning shot gone wrong. If there was a surveillance camera there was likely some kind of light. A lot of people have their own security lights if there are no street lights where they live. I personally have one. I can turn it on or off, but I leave it on all the time.

This is getting ridiculous. The prosecutor is going after this man only because he is a white man who killed a black man, and had it been a black man who killed that young man no one would have said shit.

I can see how this could happen. 1:44 Am guys at home with pregnant wife and kid. Dog starts barking,somebody jumps over an Iron fence into a yard so you automatacally assume he is up to no good and he is ready to confront you cause your car is there and he knows your home. You yell freeze and the guy turns with his hand on his hip, might have a gun. It's dark,it's 1:44 am, you just woke up,all kids should be in bed right? So Landry fires thinking he's about to become a victim himself.

People really responsible for this are the parents. At 14 that kid should have been home safely tucked in bed, not wandering the streets.

Awwwwww, but he be a guuut boi! Just as his mamma.

His parents are the idiots who should be arrested here not Mr. Landry. They should be investigated by DCF and charged with child endangerment,neglect and man slaughter if possible and any other siblings taken away. A 14 year old has no business being out a 1:44 am. If his parents had been doing their job the kid would be alive today.

His parents are the idiots who should be arrested here not Mr. Landry. They should be investigated by DCF and charged with child endangerment,neglect and man slaughter if possible and any other siblings taken away. A 14 year old has no business being out a 1:44 am. If his parents had been doing their job the kid would be alive today.

Well the mom has already made a bid for the sympathy vote because the kid's father died 3 years ago. I just can't take the bait on that one. My children lost their father to death when they were 9 and 11, and they were never out carousing around at 2 in the morning. It is not a rule that a kid who loses a parent will be a delinquent. But it's a real handy excuse for a lot of people.

Immie

Yes, it has happened, more than once. I just don't think this case was in the dark or a warning shot gone wrong. If there was a surveillance camera there was likely some kind of light. A lot of people have their own security lights if there are no street lights where they live. I personally have one. I can turn it on or off, but I leave it on all the time.

It happened here last New Year's Eve. I could never understand what causes an idiot to fire a gun in the air like that. Surely they don't think the bullet will attain orbit! Maybe that is it... they don't think.

Immie

Well the mom has already made a bid for the sympathy vote because the kid's father died 3 years ago. I just can't take the bait on that one. My children lost their father to death when they were 9 and 11, and they were never out carousing around at 2 in the morning. It is not a rule that a kid who loses a parent will be a delinquent. But it's a real handy excuse for a lot of people.
I agree. I was raised mainly by my mother. At age 14 I still wasn't roaming the streets at two in the morning and quite frankly she didn't watch me half as much as she should have. There is no excuse for this other than the parent wasn't taking proper care of the child. Of course in my day if I came rolling in a 2 am,Mom would have been waiting with the belt. Today if you look at your kid funny DCF calls it child abuse. Still you'd hope she'd have a better grip on the kid than that. If my kid wasn't home at that hour I'd call the cops and report her missing. As far as I know the mother didn't so that says alot.

Immie

It happened here last New Year's Eve. I could never understand what causes an idiot to fire a gun in the air like that. Surely they don't think the bullet will attain orbit! Maybe that is it... they don't think.

Immie

As long as you shoot straight up you're good. You would only end up with a knot on your head if it happened to hit you.
Not that I recommend shooting into the air.

Immie

Immie

They watch too much TV. No one in their right mind shoots to miss in a populated area. The bullet will hit something, maybe just the ground, maybe a human. I was taught to never pick have a gun on someone unless you are prepared to kill them. I have answered my door twice with a gun in my hand, both times the hand holding it was behind the door. Never had to shoot anyone, but if a stranger is in my house, I will agree with the presumption of the law that he is there to do me harm. I'll do everything I can to kill him.

I agree. I was raised mainly by my mother. At age 14 I still wasn't roaming the streets at two in the morning and quite frankly she didn't watch me half as much as she should have. There is no excuse for this other than the parent wasn't taking proper care of the child. Of course in my day if I came rolling in a 2 am,Mom would have been waiting with the belt. Today if you look at your kid funny DCF calls it child abuse. Still you'd hope she'd have a better grip on the kid than that. If my kid wasn't home at that hour I'd call the cops and report her missing. As far as I know the mother didn't so that says alot.

I was always waiting up when mine got home. I'll never forget the day my son turned 18. Apparently his friends had a little party for him and he got home a few minutes late. But I was up. I didn't say anything. He said, 'I'm late.' I replied, 'yes, I see.' Then he said, 'don't you want to know where I've been?' LOL. It's their job to push limits and test you. It's our job to let them go when the time comes. After that, he was never late getting in again, and he always just volunteered where he had been.

The kid who got shot, his mother has 7 other children. That makes me so angry. I limited myself to two when I would really have liked to have more. And it is people like that who have them. I fell for all that 60s bullshit about 'just replace yourself and your spouse.' I really don't know what is going to happen when the ones we have supported while the bred like rabbits become more numerous that those who work. It's a scary thought, but I won't be around for it.

Immie

As long as you shoot straight up you're good. You would only end up with a knot on your head if it happened to hit you.
Not that I recommend shooting into the air.

Warning shots are not OK.

http://full-contact.military.com/2012/10/26/legal-self-defense-should-your-fire-a-warning-shot/

No - You can't shoot someone trespassing in your yard at night in Texas unless they are attempting to steal, vandalize or break in.

The use of deadly force to protect property is contained in Texas Penal Code§9.42. This section of the law lays out a couple of scenarios where you are justified in reasonably using deadly force to protect your property. The first is if someone is committing trespass or interference with your property and you must reasonably use deadly force to prevent arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the night time or criminal mischief during the night time. If someone is unlawfully on your property and attempting to commit any of these crimes, you will gain the legal justification for using deadly force.

The second scenario is the law of recovering your property by using deadly force. Texas has a 3-prong test that, if met, gives a justification in using deadly force to recover stolen property. This test is as follows: (1) force is necessary to prevent or terminate another's trespass on land or unlawful interference with the property, (2) deadly force is reasonably necessary to prevent another who is immediately fleeing after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the night time from escaping with the property, and (3) the person reasonably believes that the property cannot be recovered by any other method or that the use of non-deadly force to recover the property would expose them to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury. Lawyers cannot stress enough that under this scenario, while the law may allow you to use deadly force - It Is Most Likely A Very Bad Idea!

Criminal trespass alone is not one of the crimes listed in Texas Penal Code §9.42 or even as part of the "Castle Doctrine" under §9.31 or §9.32. A mere criminal trespass may, however, evolve into one of the above crimes where you may be justified in using deadly force to protect your property. If someone decides to sit on your lawn, you holler at them from your bedroom window to "get off my property." If the trespasser refuses to leave, you are almost certainly not justified in using deadly force to remove him. But if that person sitting on your lawn gets up and charges towards your bedroom window with a firearm and a crow bar, you will very likely be legally justified in using deadly force to protect yourself and your home. His actions of charging you with a weapon make him more than just a trespasser under Texas law.

It will be assumed that anyone trespassing on my property at night is attempting to steal from me. If my dogs don't get 'em.....my shotgun will.

So, some drunk staggers into your yard and you blow him away. What a really tough fucker you truly are. The drunk would be more of a man than you in that case.

I doubt a drunk would have the skill needed to climb my fence. But you're welcome to come try.

No - You can't shoot someone trespassing in your yard at night in Texas unless they are attempting to steal, vandalize or break in.

The use of deadly force to protect property is contained in Texas Penal Code§9.42. This section of the law lays out a couple of scenarios where you are justified in reasonably using deadly force to protect your property. The first is if someone is committing trespass or interference with your property and you must reasonably use deadly force to prevent arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the night time or criminal mischief during the night time. If someone is unlawfully on your property and attempting to commit any of these crimes, you will gain the legal justification for using deadly force.

The second scenario is the law of recovering your property by using deadly force. Texas has a 3-prong test that, if met, gives a justification in using deadly force to recover stolen property. This test is as follows: (1) force is necessary to prevent or terminate another's trespass on land or unlawful interference with the property, (2) deadly force is reasonably necessary to prevent another who is immediately fleeing after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the night time from escaping with the property, and (3) the person reasonably believes that the property cannot be recovered by any other method or that the use of non-deadly force to recover the property would expose them to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury. Lawyers cannot stress enough that under this scenario, while the law may allow you to use deadly force - It Is Most Likely A Very Bad Idea!

Criminal trespass alone is not one of the crimes listed in Texas Penal Code §9.42 or even as part of the "Castle Doctrine" under §9.31 or §9.32. A mere criminal trespass may, however, evolve into one of the above crimes where you may be justified in using deadly force to protect your property. If someone decides to sit on your lawn, you holler at them from your bedroom window to "get off my property." If the trespasser refuses to leave, you are almost certainly not justified in using deadly force to remove him. But if that person sitting on your lawn gets up and charges towards your bedroom window with a firearm and a crow bar, you will very likely be legally justified in using deadly force to protect yourself and your home. His actions of charging you with a weapon make him more than just a trespasser under Texas law.

It will be assumed that anyone trespassing on my property at night is attempting to steal from me. If my dogs don't get 'em.....my shotgun will.

You & I may assume they are up to no good, but the law & prosecutor may assume you are going to jail & force you to pay far more for defense than the thug would have stole from you. I may not shoot unless something of great value is stolen. Because the law may take more than the thief. So it's not worth killing someone over a couple hundred bucks.

Not in Texas. All I need to have is a reasonable fear. And trust me, I will.

Hazouri reports that Landry, who has a baby daughter and whose wife is pregnant, believed that the victim was trying to break into his house. “All I know is that Merritt had told his family that he had said: ‘Freeze!’ and it looked like the guy turned at him and had his hand on his hip,” Hazouri reported.

The rear door of Merritt Landry’s home, and the driveway where car was parked, when Landry came upon intruder at 2:00AM.

Landry has been charged with attempted second degree murder. His bond was set to $10,000; he posted bond late Friday afternoon. Landry works for the City of New Orleans as a building inspector. The city says he has been placed on emergency suspension without pay pending the outcome of this case.

Do we realize what this will to lead to if it keeps up? Yes, it will lead to a serious reassessment of the right for every fool in America to have a gun and to shoot first and ask questions later. It will lead to equality in that if a black person shoots a white person or a white person shoots a black person, they will be arrested and treated equally by the law. That's what it will lead up to. The fact you think that whites are threatened by this kind of thing is pathetic. As a white, you expect to be able to shoot black people with no repercussions: well, guess what: there will be repercussions, and if you don't like it, move to an all white country.

sounds like you want a race war

Forum List

Back