15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense

So this is the old "evolution of the gaps" that because of a perceived design shortcoming we can conclude something wasn't designed.

I guarantee you, choose the most "well designed" thing you can and I'll show that it wasn't really designed by showing you shortcomings, go on, choose something, anything you want.

Design (if you ever did any) always, always, always involves making compromises.
Why don't we start with ourselves and the recurrent laryngeal nerve? This is not a shortcoming, it is a design that is explained well by evolution and seems inexplicable as a design:
The extreme detour of the recurrent laryngeal nerves, about 4.6 metres (15 ft) in the case of giraffes,[32]: 74–75  is cited as evidence of evolution, as opposed to intelligent design. The nerve's route would have been direct in the fish-like ancestors of modern tetrapods, traveling from the brain, past the heart, to the gills (as it does in modern fish). Over the course of evolution, as the neck extended and the heart became lower in the body, the laryngeal nerve remained in its original course.​

Why don't we start with ourselves and the recurrent laryngeal nerve? This is not a shortcoming, it is a design that is explained well by evolution and seems inexplicable as a design:
The extreme detour of the recurrent laryngeal nerves, about 4.6 metres (15 ft) in the case of giraffes,[32]: 74–75  is cited as evidence of evolution, as opposed to intelligent design. The nerve's route would have been direct in the fish-like ancestors of modern tetrapods, traveling from the brain, past the heart, to the gills (as it does in modern fish). Over the course of evolution, as the neck extended and the heart became lower in the body, the laryngeal nerve remained in its original course.​
Perhaps, I'm not familiar with that but no matter. That we cannot see a function in some feature does not prove that therefore that feature was not designed, that's an appalling argument, we can find many examples of that today in our human designed world, I can look at umpteen machines and systems and see things that I really find no value in but that doesn't mean they weren't designed.

Look at the appendix, I was told in school in the 1960s that it serves no purpose, that's not what I read today however.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back